Anyone Driving 1997 Ls400?

coolwater

I was looking at GS350 under $7,000 and now I am also looking for an below $7,000 LS400.

According to my search, I think I can get a 1997 LS400 with a reasonable mileage for under $7,000.

Any comments, warnings, and advices are greatly appreciated.

Also, between 1997 4-speed and 1998 5-speed, how significant is the difference?

I was looking at GS350 under $7,000 and now I am also looking for an below $7,000 LS400.

According to my search, I think I can get a 1997 LS400 with a reasonable mileage for under $7,000.

I have to think you will love the LS, I have two of them at present, both 1997 models. We have had 6 LS's.

ours have 232 & 238K miles on them and drive like new, perfect interiors.

mine is diamond white pearl and has a check engine code 430 (cat convertor) as its only flaw, but passed state inspection with RXP gas kicker's help.

my wifes is opal white pearl and has no flaws at all.

hope this helps...

post-5365-1243095351_thumb.jpg

post-5365-1243097143_thumb.jpg

I have the 97 Pearl White Coach Edition. I believe it's the Opal..

I LOVE it. The one thing about the 98 is that it has a lot more electronic stuff on it that previous models. My 97 LS don't have TRAC so working under the hood is about as easy as it will get.

A1.jpg

Great pictures guys!

Both of you have my favorite color LS400s--two tone white! They are soooooo gorgeous!!!

Thanks!!

By the way...

How the acceleration supposed to be on '97 LS400?

I just test drove one today and the acceleration felt like a big SUV--too reserved or too slow.

The car had a low mileage.

Great pictures guys!

Both of you have my favorite color LS400s--two tone white! They are soooooo gorgeous!!!

Thanks!!

By the way...

I just test drove one today and the acceleration felt like a big SUV--too reserved or too slow.

both of mine will pin you to the seat on acceleration.... with all this mileage too bp

Great pictures guys!

Thanks!!

By the way...

I can possibly help address your concern of "reserved" acceleration. Part of that may simply be due to the conservative ECU throttle calibrations these cars received. Seems the initial travel of the throttle pedal doesn't generate a whole lot of action, making this gem of a V-8 engine possibly feel weaker than it actually is. You'll get accustomed to it quickly. The truth is, this soft calibration also contributes to a smooth driving experience which was clearly of paramount importance to the engineers. No one wants a Lexus with a 'herky-jerky' on-off type of throttle response. Rest assured though, if you continue to ring up the engine room and step down further, hitting the transmission kick-down point, the car WILL get up and GO! (assuming it has no issues of course). My '92 LS, while in excellent running condition with no mechanical problems, was notably sluggish feeling until about mid-throttle. Smooth? Yes. Incredibly responsive? No. Now, the 99 model is a whole 'nother ball game. It has variable-valve timing, drive-by-wire throttle, lower internal trans gearing for off-the-line snap, plus the engineers spec'd significantly more aggressive overall throttle calibration, at least in direct comparison to the first-gen car. I can't comment specifically on 1997 as a model year because I've never driven one, but you're still talking 260HP which should be enough to Git-'Er-Done for all but the most addicted acceleration junkies. Now, I will say if you mash the gas on a 1998 - 2000 model they just plain fly. 290 conservatively rated horsepower, and 300 lbs. of torque. I basically grew up and spent most of my early life on the drag strip so I have a very good understanding of physics as is pertains to acceleration. Also spent many late nights on chassis dynamometers. We're talking 0-to-60 in the 6's, and the potential for mid-to-high-14 second quarter mile times at almost 100mph for a strong running example (search these forums for confirmation... and you'll definitely find it). Not too shabby for just about 2 tons of leather-lined living room being hurled down the road. My 5.7 liter Corvette-powered Trans Am honestly isn't much faster (mid 13's... and a whole lot louder), and we won't even discuss the difference in ride and overall build quality. I'm sure others will also share their opinions regarding your noted observations, but hope this 2-cents worth helps. Overall they are definitely some of the finest automobiles ever built - I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I just bought a '97 LS400 a few months ago with 147k miles on it. The car was in excellent (not quite perfectly-mint) condition but mechanically-speaking, it was and still is amazing!!!

It's throttle response is definitely a bit "reserved" upon take-off, but mash the gas pedal and get the RPM's high enough (about mid-way), and the torque and horsepower will pin you in your seat and pull for a very long time.

The car's ride is ultra-smooth and it's power has a sense of "finesse" to it. It pulls smoothly, its torque seems to be never-ending, and the gas mileage & fuel economy is excellent considering the weight of the car and all.

I would definitely recommend this car to anybody. It's a great value and amazingly-engineered. I now have 151k miles on it and I couldn't be happier. I've done a few maintenance issues - but nothing out of the ordinary.

I've also heard and been reading that these cars are very well-known to last up to 300k miles with no problem - assuming you keep up with common maintenance procedures and routine oil & filter changes - whether you use conventional or synthetic motor oil.

Hope this helps!!!

Great pictures guys!

Thanks!!

By the way...

I can possibly help address your concern of "reserved" acceleration. Part of that may simply be due to the conservative ECU throttle calibrations these cars received. Seems the initial travel of the throttle pedal doesn't generate a whole lot of action, making this gem of a V-8 engine possibly feel weaker than it actually is. You'll get accustomed to it quickly. The truth is, this soft calibration also contributes to a smooth driving experience which was clearly of paramount importance to the engineers. No one wants a Lexus with a 'herky-jerky' on-off type of throttle response. Rest assured though, if you continue to ring up the engine room and step down further, hitting the transmission kick-down point, the car WILL get up and GO! (assuming it has no issues of course). My '92 LS, while in excellent running condition with no mechanical problems, was notably sluggish feeling until about mid-throttle. Smooth? Yes. Incredibly responsive? No. Now, the 99 model is a whole 'nother ball game. It has variable-valve timing, drive-by-wire throttle, lower internal trans gearing for off-the-line snap, plus the engineers spec'd significantly more aggressive overall throttle calibration, at least in direct comparison to the first-gen car. I can't comment specifically on 1997 as a model year because I've never driven one, but you're still talking 260HP which should be enough to Git-'Er-Done for all but the most addicted acceleration junkies. Now, I will say if you mash the gas on a 1998 - 2000 model they just plain fly. 290 conservatively rated horsepower, and 300 lbs. of torque. I basically grew up and spent most of my early life on the drag strip so I have a very good understanding of physics as is pertains to acceleration. Also spent many late nights on chassis dynamometers. We're talking 0-to-60 in the 6's, and the potential for mid-to-high-14 second quarter mile times at almost 100mph for a strong running example (search these forums for confirmation... and you'll definitely find it). Not too shabby for just about 2 tons of leather-lined living room being hurled down the road. My 5.7 liter Corvette-powered Trans Am honestly isn't much faster (mid 13's... and a whole lot louder), and we won't even discuss the difference in ride and overall build quality. I'm sure others will also share their opinions regarding your noted observations, but hope this 2-cents worth helps. Overall they are definitely some of the finest automobiles ever built - I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Hmm.. the one you drove might just need a "tune up" so to speak.

My LS will throw you to the seat and keep you there +100mph.

Not that I would know that or anything :rolleyes:

Hmm.. the one you drove might just need a "tune up" so to speak.

My LS will throw you to the seat and keep you there +100mph.

Not that I would know that or anything :rolleyes:

yep, I chickened out at 120, but it was still pulling..... wow if I was 25 instead of 75, I could keep this going.... bp

120 is as far as I have been. And yes, then the chicken pops out lol.

but you're right, it pulls right there, and still feels like she has more to give.

Hi coolwater .... I do not know if this would interest you .... but a member here known as DCFISH has an LS for sale that looks GREAT .... if you go to the "buy/sell" area of the forum here you should be able to locate it ......

his car is one of those incredible, exceptional cars that was maintained with no regard to cost ... always parked inside .... and on and on .... truth is I want it, but I just can not pull it off at this time .....

perhaps you might be interested .....

:cheers:

That would be an amazing buy! It is probably the most impeccable LS for sale.

I hear DC reads it a bedtime story every night, and snuggles with her till she falls asleep :lol:

I have a 1997 LS400 with 180K miles - runs great, plenty of power and I love it. That said, I also have a 2000 LS400 that makes the 97 look anemic. The 2000 has more horsepower, torque and a 5 speed tranny. It is also true pleasure to drive, just like the 97. If I were to do it again, I would get a 1998-2000 version. The 97 feels more solid though.

Texas Big Dog

If I could add my 2 cents:

I have a '97 LS400 with 97k miles or so. It drives like a brand new car (literally), especially after I installed new strut rods and upper strut mounts.

The acceleration is quite good for such a heavy car, I have no doubts that the car can match its published 7.2 second 0-60 time. The car looks great, too.

If you can get one for a good price, buy it! Just make sure it has the major maintenance done already.

When I was test driving LS400 before purchase, I had a chance to drive a 2000 LS400 as well. That one felt a lot more "modern"--maybe it was just the looks, but the engine feels a lot more free-breathing and the transmission shifts more readily. But I kind of like how the 4 speed doesn't shift very much in normal mode. It makes it feel like a really torquey car (which it is)!

Hi coolwater .... I do not know if this would interest you .... but a member here known as DCFISH has an LS for sale that looks GREAT .... if you go to the "buy/sell" area of the forum here you should be able to locate it ......

his car is one of those incredible, exceptional cars that was maintained with no regard to cost ... always parked inside .... and on and on .... truth is I want it, but I just can not pull it off at this time .....

perhaps you might be interested .....

Thank you for the info, rickatups!

I am in Washington, DC and DCFISH is in Arizona. It's practically coast to coast... over 2,400 miles apart.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1997 LS400 Coach Edition (Silver Jade Metallic) that just hit 180K miles. Excellent car. Cruise all day at 70 and get 28 mpg. Very comfortable. Would highly recommend it.

David

post-8479-1244564843_thumb.jpg

I'd sell you my 1997 LS400 Coach Edition if you gave me a good price. I'm kind of on the edge about selling it, though. I'm located about 4 hours from DC but I visit DC frequently so if you wanted to see the car, I could let you know when I'd be in town next.

See this link for pics.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=56711