91ls400 Rough Idle Cured

91LS400pilot

Hi friends,

I am lurking for some time and this my first post. I learned a lot and thank you all for your valuable contributions

so we can all avoid the heavy fees from the Lexus stealers.

Background:

I bought my 91LS400 (second owner) with 62K miles in 03/1996 from the company I was working for. It was the company's president's car.

The car now has 128K and it is in excellent condition. Until last year I was responsible for the International ops for another company

and mostly on International travel and at the same time I had two extra cars (an Audi, and a Merc) that's why the LS low mileage.

No major repairs apart of changing my dead altinator six months ago due to PS leaking.

My problem lately:

White smoke (yes I know) but most important the very rough idle.

Remedies:

Added in the gas four times various liquid cleaners, changed the spark plugs, yes I cleaned the throttle-now I have the time to do these kind of things but no cure, until today when while the engine was running I opened the hood and I saw a short -see picture below.

I put some electrician's black tape and the idle is back to where it should be.

Can somebody tell me what is the connector's name what is connecting if it can be replaced by DIY and where it can be bought?

Thank you all in advance.

Best

Chris

DSCF0052_ca.jpg

Going from memory here, but I believe you've got a bad wire to one of your plugs there. If I recall, if you were to remove the black casing to expose the timing belt, you'd also find your dist cap for that side of the engine's spark plugs.

Hi friends,

I am lurking for some time and this my first post. I learned a lot and thank you all for your valuable contributions

Welcome to the club! :cheers: About time you joined the mix!

Background:

I bought my 91LS400 (second owner) with 62K miles in 03/1996 from the company I was working for. It was the company's president's car.

Nice Scoop!

Can somebody tell me what is the connector's name what is connecting if it can be replaced by DIY and where it can be bought?

Best

Chris

Looks llike your arrow is pointing to the L bank coil connection to the distributor. Take off the tb cover and trace it yourself. I would say you could use a new ignition wire set. Stick with oem for both wires and plugs. Shop around for best price.

Hi friends,

Welcome to the club! :cheers: About time you joined the mix!

Background:

Nice Scoop!

Best

Chris

Looks llike your arrow is pointing to the L bank coil connection to the distributor. Take off the tb cover and trace it yourself. I would say you could use a new ignition wire set. Stick with oem for both wires and plugs. Shop around for best price.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Yes, after examining it better it is the L bank coil connection to the distributor. I called Advanced Auto and they have the ignition wires for $118.29 (Professional series). Autozone's Duralast is for $62.99. I will call tomorrow the Lexus Parts-I was wondering....

Any suggestions?

Chris

The lead in question is as stated by everyone else the HT lead from the coil to the distributor cap, one thing to look out for here is where it passes out of the timing belt cover where there should be a rubber grommit to protect it.

Chances are this has either been misfitted or not refitted as it is a pig to do unfortunately this leads to chafing of the wire and the result you ended up with.