Best Bang For The Buck

I own a 99 gs400 and am looking at the srt intake sys for it. The wed site clams 30hp and 40ft tourqe is this true. $550 in alot of $ for a intake system.

If any body has this intake sys please let me know. thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 99 gs400 and am looking at the srt intake sys for it. The wed site clams 30hp and 40ft tourqe is this true. $550 in alot of $ for a intake system.

I hear mixed things about the SRT. I would say the best bang for the buck is definitely an air intake, But you can find one much cheaper with good results. I would suggest either the K&N FIPK system, Or the Injen air intake system!! You can grab either intake for $300 and less and have money to spare for other mods vs. just spending $500+ on an intake.

Any company that claims that kind of increase is full of crap. We'd have to assume that Lexus left that kind of power to be released by a good design, as if they were incapable of designing it themselves. I don't think so.

Leave the stock intake system alone.

Any company that claims that kind of increase is full of crap. We'd have to assume that Lexus left that kind of power to be released by a good design, as if they were incapable of designing it themselves. I don't think so.

Leave the stock intake system alone.

You are partially right, Because as far as the SRT intake goes ive heard more people dissapointed with the results. And dyno numbers no where near the claimed 30 hp!! But theres dyno numbers proving the K&N FIPK will truly get 11-17 hp!!!!

As far as the stock intake of course it works just fine, And there is nothing wrong with it unless you want more power!!! The stock intake can never compare to a quality aftermarket one!!

Every factory built vehicle comes with plenty of restrictive parts due to emissions, and sound. Those are the two main reasons are cars dont come with air intakes and straight pipe exhaust etc. So what does that mean? That there is plenty of horsepower to be made when you remove the restrictive parts!! And upgrade to quality aftermarket performance parts.

Also consider hours, days, weeks, months, of R&D to design such parts!

I'm not in the habit of being partially right ( or partially correct for that matter). And on this issue I am correct. Go put more stickers on your car.

Actually , i will have to disagree completly with you SRK.

Lexus designed the cars to perform well but not to there full potential.

It had other major factors mainly being noise and harshness being a higher priority.

They added baffles into the intake resonator as well as plumbing the exhaust in a way to restrict noise.

A well made intake can produce 6-10% more power then add a variable ecu maf controller like the SRT one it will add another 5-10%.

Stock specs are about 300 hp/torque so 10% is 30hp.

On the GS and LS both intake and exhaust are extremly restrictive , they are designed well but not for power.

All my mods on my cars have to be pruposly built ,first it has to increse gas milage by efficency then by its own nature increase the power.

All it is doing is scavaging wasted power .

I'm not in the habit of being partially right ( or partially correct for that matter). And on this issue I am correct. Go put more stickers on your car.

Well doing more research and getting your facts straight before you start flaming someone or something is a habit you need to adopt!! Nothing worse than someone arrogant who thinks they know it all, But doesnt know nothing!! Do your homework!

"Go put more stickers on your car".............WOW what an ignorant comment!! LOL

You've got it backwards. I don't need facts - you do. Figure 30 horsepower? Great. Independent dyno tests are what you need to provide - facts in other words.

Talk is cheap. I've worked on, modded, fixed, repaired, more cars than you've had hot lunches.

Show me the data - independently verified data.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you really want to have an answer to your topic 'Best Bang For The Buck, performance upgrade air intake" Custom turbo B) You heard it here first..............

Actually...performance wise I still feel that the Precision Industries Torque Converters are the BEST bang for the buck...especially on the GS4XX's! Trust me...I know. Off the line it is IMPOSSIBLE to describe the night and day difference from stock. It is around $700 bucks plus $60 for the auxillary tranny cooler (I bought a B&M supercooler). This is absolutely needed if you are going the high stall torque converter route as this item REALLY heats up the tranny fluid and extra cooling would be needed. I got mine "set" to a 2900 rpm stall. The higher the stall the more viscious the launch capabilities but more wear and tear and less drivability if it's your daily driver. The typical range that does NOT effect drivability yet still yields great performance is 2800rpm - 3200rpm stall. FYI...I think the stock torque converters are around 1800rpm stall.

Sorry I didn't remark on the air intake questions at hand. I feel that they are worth it but definitely NOT if you are going to spend over $350 or so. I would NOT spend $600 on the SRT w/chip intake. I would (or rather have done it already) buy the K&N FIPK intake (reputable company) for ~ $300 bucks and buy an Apexi NEO (air fuel controller) for $250 bucks. Install it yourself and get it tuned. I have proven dyno results that ADDED 17whp and 18WTQ with JUST the addition of this A/F controller to my pre-existing K&N intake...Oh, I had a Borla rear section exhaust also at the time but that probably doesn't do much. So I gather if you would do this intake AND air fuel controller at the same time I would bet you would see 20-22whp (or ~ 25-27hp @ the crank). GL...My dyno's are on ClubLexus - screen name is Rock-a-Lex.