Jerk From Park To Reverse ?

Is this normal ? to here a medium to soft " jerk" or "clunk" where you can FEEL a fairly good movement. .. ??

2004 ES330

for everyone, from park to drive, or park to reverse, can you decribe the noise ?

Thanks !!

80,000 Miles

To hear something? No. I suggest getting a quick 90 dollar tranny flush at a Jiffy Lube or similar. FLUSH, not drain.

Similar story: Mine used to kind of POP into gear from park to reverse (or drive) but I'm sure it was because it was still on high-idle right when you start the car. 90 bones and 15 or so quarts of tranny fluid later and it smoothed itself out. 3rd to 4th gear is also much smoother.

please check top mount.

Can any ACE certified check the top mount if I ask them ?

Any other recomendations on where to have the flush done other than the dealership ?

How long do you wait for the idle to come down ? I've only had the car for 2 days.. .. maybe I'm just not waiting..

I think the 2 times I drove it I waited 2 seconds before I shifted out of park ... would that explain the problem, or do you think either way have it flushed ?

Also, normal driving from 1st through 5th, and 5th to 4th etc etc it shifts PERFECTLY smooth.. if that helps..

To hear something? No. I suggest getting a quick 90 dollar tranny flush at a Jiffy Lube or similar. FLUSH, not drain.

Similar story: Mine used to kind of POP into gear from park to reverse (or drive) but I'm sure it was because it was still on high-idle right when you start the car. 90 bones and 15 or so quarts of tranny fluid later and it smoothed itself out. 3rd to 4th gear is also much smoother.

Thanks, I really apreciate the help bro.. Just an update, I looked at the fluid, looks kinda dirty, going to get the fluid changed this weekend,...

I'll post the results if anyone's interested.. .

make sure you have it replaced with genuine Toyota fluid, I also would just change it instead of flushing it...

can I ask why change the fluid instead of flushing ? what are the pro's and con's of each ?

thanks!

can I ask why change the fluid instead of flushing ? what are the pro's and con's of each ?

thanks!

I have heard people describe problems after transmission flushes and my mechanic who was a Lexus tech for 12 years says to never flush a transmission, just change the fluid.

Also, when going to an independant shop, what do I ask as far as finding out if they are "Lexus certified? " or do I ask if they are "ACE" certified ?

The only shops you will find that will have some sort of "Lexus certification" are shops like the one I use that is owned by someone who used to be a Lexus master tech and keeps his certifications up. You always want an ASE certified shop, and I would find somebody that has experience with Japenese cars specifically Toyotas or Lexuses.

Well, I found a shop, checked the bbb for complaints, they have a A+ rating, everything seems legit,

The cars going to the shop monday morning, I'll post the finding for anyone interested / future reference for anyone that comes along with similar symtoms...

Check the top engine mount. Open the hood, STAND TO THE SIDE OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT (do not stand in front of the car). And have someone shift from drive to reverse, giving the engine some throttle in each gear (While firmly depressing the brake so that the car does not move). It should be easy to see how much the engine moves. remember to park the car in a location where it is clear in front and behind the car. Stand besides the car so that if the car moves nobody gets hurt!

Hey everyone, just an update for anyone interested...

My problem was the high idle, my car idles at 1400 rpm ?? then when it is warmer it's still a little high,, If anyone has the culprit for that, it would be greatly aprecieated...

Tranny and motor mounts are fine.

thanks for the help and suggestions thus far ..