Presidential? Obama

nc211

Just remember, any stupid man can start a war, but it take a smart man to avoid one.

How soon one forgets 9/11/01. That sneak attack had the same gravity as the attack on Pearl Harbor. Surely you wouldn't expect FDR or Bush to simply ignore the events. Neither of those presidents "started" a war.

Why would you say I forgot about 9/11, I just mention it on my last post. As far as I know Iraq is not responsible for 9/11. Bush W start a war, Obama is now trying to shift the attention back to Afghanistan to revenge 9/11.

Obviously you missed the point. No reason to continue this engagement.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless the point was that a bad thing happening to us gives us carte blanche to wage war against anyone we want, even if they had no involvement in the bad thing that happened to us then he didn't miss the point at all.

Unless the point was that a bad thing happening to us gives us carte blanche to wage war against anyone we want, even if they had no involvement in the bad thing that happened to us then he didn't miss the point at all.

Ok, one last time. You managed to miss the point as well.

The assumption you make is that Bush knowingly lied about the information received from the CIA that he used to justify the invasion of Iraq. The information Bush had at the time indicated the threat originated in Iraq. It is not a matter of what the media feeds us now or even what the evidence is now. Iraq was not invaded the next day. The information at the time was analyzed and actions taken based on that analysis.

An innocuous "bad thing" as you offhandedly describe a serious attack on this country is ludicrous. "Carte Blanche to wage war against anyone we want..." is a simplistic overstatement that is beneath your intellect.

Hindsight is inappropriate and is the basis for your post. As is the hindsight that the atomic bomb should not have been used on Japan to end WWII. It is the nature of history for it to be rewritten as events unfold and the prejudice of the time influences the authors.

Ok, one last time. You managed to miss the point as well.

The assumption you make is that Bush knowingly lied about the information received from the CIA that he used to justify the invasion of Iraq. The information Bush had at the time indicated the threat originated in Iraq. It is not a matter of what the media feeds us now or even what the evidence is now. Iraq was not invaded the next day. The information at the time was analyzed and actions taken based on that analysis.

An innocuous "bad thing" as you offhandedly describe a serious attack on this country is ludicrous. "Carte Blanche to wage war against anyone we want..." is a simplistic overstatement that is beneath your intellect.

Hindsight is inappropriate and is the basis for your post. As is the hindsight that the atomic bomb should not have been used on Japan to end WWII. It is the nature of history for it to be rewritten as events unfold and the prejudice of the time influences the authors.

The media didn’t feed us anything, it was the Bush administration who claim we attack Iraq because of weapons of mass destruction, how soon did we forget :( Of course, I still fail to see how weapon of mass destruction has anything to do with 9/11. As we all know, by concentrating our effort in Iraq, the Bush administration let Bin Laden escape, how is that for revenging the 9/11 attack for you? If Obama use the same criteria for an all out attack as Bush did, we should be attacking Iran right now for developing nuclear weapons.

In my opinion Bush W attack Iraq to finish off a war that his father could not finish, he thought it would be a fast and easy war as evident in the following picture:

vstory.bush.banner.afp.jpg

First of all you are incorrect. The CIA intelligence never showed that the threat originated in Iraq and nobody said they had anything to do with 9/11. They have always known 9/11 was masterminded by Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. Hence why we retalliated...in Afghanistan. The intelligence showed that Saddam had WMD and his ties to terrorist organizations were suspect. Thats all.

Do I think that Bush knew the intelligence was faulty? No. Do I think that he didn't dig very deeply to try and disprove what he was seeing because it went along with specifically what he wanted to do? Yes. He figured that Saddam must have had WMD...so he shot from the hip which is something all of his biographers say he was famous for doing. This time however it cost us trillions of dollars and thousands of lives...for what? A bad dictator is gone. Lots of bad dictators out there...who ACTUALLY have WMD and now we are too flaacid to do anything about it. Perfectly legitimate to blame Bush for that.

Nobody ever said Iraq was involved in 9/11...even back then.

. Lots of bad dictators out there...who ACTUALLY have WMD and now we are too flaacid to do anything about it. Perfectly legitimate to blame Bush for that.

Nobody ever said Iraq was involved in 9/11...even back then.

....Who now know the sleeping giant is the last target you want to mess with, if you don't want your regional pecking order to be erased.

I disagree completely. These terrorists aren't afraid of us attacking them. They WANT us to attack them because it proves their point and stregnthens their Jihad.

If they are so "afraid" then why did they try and blow up a US airliner on Christmas Eve? They aren't afraid of us.

Anyways "to make people scared of us" is no reason to go to war.

I disagree completely. These terrorists aren't afraid of us attacking them. They WANT us to attack them because it proves their point and stregnthens their Jihad.

If they are so "afraid" then why did they try and blow up a US airliner on Christmas Eve? They aren't afraid of us.

Anyways "to make people scared of us" is no reason to go to war.

I agree about the individual terrorists not being afraid to attack us. It's the states that allow them to base from that is the problem Iraq serves to cure. The best example I can think of is Yemen itself. Pre-Iraq.... USS Cole... A successful terrorist strike on their own soil. Yemen's response was nothing. Post Iraq, a terrorist with Yemen ties fails to blow up a plane in Detroit. Yemen launches military strikes against terrorist organizations within it's own borders to prevent further operations from occuring. THAT is the message Iraq sends to these governments. "Either you get em', or we'll get em'. Your choice". The fact that they're getting in the game of going after terrorists within their own borders, is a HUGE success in this battle, and one can easily credit Bush for that!

She's pretty scary...but some of the speakers make her look almost sane!

In an interview with Fox news last week, Sarah Palin said the only way for Obama to get re-elected is for him to toughen up and declear war on Iran.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertain...re-elected.html

That woman scares me. She's the reason why I voted for Obama. However, that said, I have a feeling Iran is going to give the World it's reason to fight with them, no matter what we do. They're hell-bent on it.

That woman scares me. She's the reason why I voted for Obama. However, that said, I have a feeling Iran is going to give the World it's reason to fight with them, no matter what we do. They're hell-bent on it.

I agree, that midget dictator is out of control, but I think you used the key words there, " the world ". We need to fight Iran as a coalition, not us alone.

• 1 month later...

Well, what do you guys and gals think so far of our new President? Presidential? On course, or throwing punches at shadows? Me? Well I have my concerns, which tie back to my original gut feeling about his lack of experience when a similar thread popped up last year.

Now that I'm living in Chicago, his home base, I've had the chance to see a lot about his history, that I didn't get a chance to see from North Carolina. I saw a very insightful show on him called Frontline. I was stunned to see that nearly everything he said during his campaign for President, were the EXACT same things he was saying back in his earlier days, his intro days into politics, just 10 years ago. I thought that was insightful. It got me thinking, about the whole slogan of his of "change". Frontline portrayed him as using "change" as the weapon against the sitting canidate for whatever he was going after. It also showed that he was thinking two steps forward. Wanting to win this seat, so he could position himself for the next seat. He was speaking for that second seat, while trying to get elected for the first seat. Now, he has the last seat in the chain, and it's time to prove what he's been saying. I'm concerned about his ability to put up, or shut up. Here is why:

Simple: When the Oval office becomes the Corner office, things get spooky, things get blury, and things get scary. The Oval office is NOT the private sector, and to use it to run the private sector, never works. Look, I'm ticked about the whole AIG thing too. I think it's wrong, as I think the vast majority of the approach to this "bail out" has been handled. This isn't a crisis of liquidity, but a crisis of balance sheets. Throwing money at it, won't fix it, ever. But, when you have the President of the United States on Jay Leno, bashing AIG, I have to wonder what the other CEO's are thinking? I know what they're thinking, and as evidenced by a move from JPMorgan two weeks ago, they're saying "USA is too scary to base operations out of right now". JPMorgan has increased their job allocation to 25% for China this week, with more to come. That's what hit the press, so you know others are doing the same in the shadows.

I'm just saying...I am growing more and more concerned about Obama's "Presidential" abilities. I get what he's doing, wanting to be the "common man" President. But, honestly folks, would you want your neighbor, the same guy who drank all of your beer last weekend and still has your yard edger, being President? I don't, I think. I'll give him some slack as he's new, and in the honeymoon period and still figuring out how things work. But, I am very concerned about how he is using the White House mouthpiece to discuss the private sector. Whether you like what's going on or not, the fact remains that many of those big ole' companies are the same ones paying salaries, health insurance costs, and most importantly, providing competition which is the backbone of our country's economic health...capitalism. You spook off the competitors, then you've got anti-trust issues and we're all forced to pay whatever the last one standing says.

So, whatcha' think amigos? How's he doing?

• 3 months later...

If I were Obama at this point, I think I would hope I'd be voted out in 2012 LOL

:lol:

I'm willing to bet he's probably wondering why in the heck he wanted that job to begin with! I wouldn't touch it with a ten billion mile pole! You know what the sad thing is? He's starting to make "W" look good (or, at least better) in the minds of many. The man he has thrown under the bus countless times, is starting to creep up behind him.

In connection to these documents that are currently being wiki-leaked, and how they spell out Iran's connections to the terrorists that a former President kept talking about... :whistles:

I bet I know one Texan sitting under a shade tree with a glass of lemonade, muttering to himself "I told ya' so..."

• 7 months later...

Japan is in ruins, fear in the public of radioactive clouds above, the middle east is on the brink, Greenspan himself is saying the government is slowing the economic growth potential, gas prices are spiking again.....and the leader of the free world of "change" can only garnish headlines that are about another vacation to Rio this weekend and his NCAA bracket picks?

Either the media is turning on him, or he's turning on himself....eitherway, I'd be stunned if he gets re-elected in a year, simply stunned. I think the democrat party has really blown a wonderful opportunity over the past THREE years. No matter what they have or have not accomplished, it's all about "perception", and they ain't got it!!