Rear Window Brake Light

rushfan

I'm sure this may have come up in the past, but I cannot find anything out here. My 2004 LS430 rear window brake light has gone out and the dealership tells me it is $42.00 to replace it. Are these bulbs gold plated or is there a secret code to getting into the casing? The reason they are giving for the cost is that it is "so difficult to get in to replace the bulb"...

Thoughts are welcome.

Thoughts are welcome.

Try calling another dealer. That's a total crock. Lexus of Santa Monica charged me $7 for the bulb and installed it for free in about 10 minutes.

The directions are on here somewhere; I think you have to push the enclosure to the left and then pull forward and it should pop off. For some reason I can't find them but keep looking. I think you might use a pry bar (plastic if possible) to help but that housing is plastic so it will scratch--be careful!

They are charging labor not just for the bulb... Dealer's time = money

Go to your local auto parts store and buy the $3 bulbs.

Then read your owners manual.

in the 1st and 2nd gens the whole 3rd brake light housing pops out of the rear deck. I don't know if the 430's are the same.

I found several threads on another forum that confirms what jainla said on how to remove the housing on an LS430:

"move it 1/2" to the left, then lift it straight out. Then you can remove the connector wire, and the bulb assembly to replace the bulb."

• 2 months later...
They are charging labor not just for the bulb... Dealer's time = money

Go to your local auto parts store and buy the $3 bulbs.

Then read your owners manual.

in the 1st and 2nd gens the whole 3rd brake light housing pops out of the rear deck. I don't know if the 430's are the same.

Hi, new here as member, but since I have this problem, thought that I would log-in. On my 99ls I have tried to move the housing to the left but am having a difficult time doing so. Do not want to break the housing. Should I have to just push harder to the left ?

Tried lifting it and can see vertical pins on each side.

Hi, new here as member, but since I have this problem, thought that I would log-in. On my 99ls I have tried to move the housing to the left but am having a difficult time doing so. Do not want to break the housing. Should I have to just push harder to the left ?

The procedure for removing the high mounted brake housing on a 98-00 LS400 is different than on an LS430. Gently lift up the front edge of the brake light housing with a pry tool so you can release the spring clips -- I think I remember that there is one gray color spring clip on each side. Be careful to not break the red plastic tabs. At least this is what I remember. I posted better instructions and a photo in the past but I can not find the thread due to the new "improved" Google search feature of this forum.

The procedure for removing the high mounted brake housing on a 98-00 LS400 is different than on an LS430. Gently lift up the front edge of the brake light housing with a pry tool so you can release the spring clips -- I think I remember that there is one gray color spring clip on each side. Be careful to not break the red plastic tabs. At least this is what I remember. I posted better instructions and a photo in the past but I can not find the thread due to the new "improved" Google search feature of this forum.

Thanks for your help. I will try your suggestion. I did see tabsl in the front but they looked like pins for electrical connection. I will spend more time on it tomorrow. Leo

Per my PM to you, here is a photo of the high brake light housing on my 2000 LS400 after I removed it. My finger is on one of the spring clips I mentioned. Be careful not to break the six red plastic tabs. You have to lift the front edge of the brake light housing high enough for the six red plastic tabs to lift out of the holes in the package shelf so that they clear the package shelf and the brake light housing can be removed.

post-2157-1243216526_thumb.jpg

Per my PM to you, here is a photo of the high brake light housing on my 2000 LS400 after I removed it. My finger is on one of the spring clips I mentioned. Be careful not to break the six red plastic tabs. You have to lift the front edge of the brake light housing high enough for the six red plastic tabs to lift out of the holes in the package shelf so that they clear the package shelf and the brake light housing can be removed.

Jim, your support is excellent by sending the photo. Beyond what a person could expect. It certainly is appreciated. leo

• 10 months later...

THANK YOU for the photo! Been trying to figure this out and determined not to pay dealer to do it. Came off like a champ with your help. Much appreciated.

I have found Lexus dealers to be very freindly, provide with with coffee as you "relax" in their comfortable waiting areas. Meanwhile, they stab you in the back and then smile as they twist the knife. I found a local Toyota dealer (one that doesn't also own a Lexus dealership) that does top quality work at 1/2 the price.

Naturally, I try to do all my own work but some things I just don't have the time, knowledge or motivation to do myself and I couldn't be happier with the service I get.