Is This Normal?

The Kid

Hey I went on a nice run, maybe 80 or so miles

and I set the car to 80 mph cruising. and the temp gauge got down to nearly C

is this normal?

I asked my mechanic and he said that isnt a problem. cars run better when they are cooler and more air is flowing through the engine.

he said it would only be a problem when the gauge gets closer to H

so... is this true? or does my car really have a problem like I suspected?

is this normal?

I asked my mechanic and he said that isnt a problem. cars run better when they are cooler and more air is flowing through the engine.

Check your thermostat.

is this normal?

Replace your thermostat.........

(edit) Replace your radiator cap too......

the outside temp was maybe about between 25- 30 degrees

and cruising at 80

OHHHH YEAH and by the way, the low coolant light came on too and I had to pull over and put some in there because it got bone dry.

so after i put that in there, i thought it would solve the problem, but the temp gauge still dropped pretty low when I started back driving.

i didnt cruise at 80 any more though, more like 65

and cruising at 80

OHHHH YEAH and by the way, the low coolant light came on too and I had to pull over and put some in there because it got bone dry.

so after i put that in there, i thought it would solve the problem, but the temp gauge still dropped pretty low when I started back driving.

Could have air in the lines. Just adding coolant does not mean that the pump is pumping water. When you removed the cap, did you get a whoosh?? Seems you just might have a hose or radiator leak. and if pressure not on the system funny things can happen. Could just be a Rad Cap too..

and cruising at 80

Wouldn't you think the two problems were related? :P

Coolant should never be consumed. You must have a leak in your cooling system somewhere. Check your hoses and radiator!

I may be wrong, but I believe the temp gauge is for coolant temperature. If your coolant is bone dry, it would probably just show the temperature as being lower, when in fact, your engine is probably overheating.

I've been having the same problem. My coolant level is fine though and I also recently replaced the cap.

But my temp gauge always reads very low and my car has a hard time heating the cabin during the winter months.

I have a picture of what my gauge is at after awhile driving.

0301092040.jpg

Thermostat stuck open?

A lower operating temperature is good to have, but that looks like something definitely isn't work properly. The only time my gauge has read that cool was on a trip home this winter while I was cruising along at 75 and it was -25 outside.

Yea i thought as much. It's like that all the time. Highest it goes is a little above the first tick. What is it normally sposed to read? Cause i just bought a different lexus of the same year and it hovers around 75%

I'm gonna order up a thermostat and replace it. Hopefully that fixes it.