Should I Replace The Factory Stereo

Tommy_B

• 4 weeks later...

i need help in deciding whether i should keep the factory stereo in or replace it with an aftermarket headunit..because i plan on getting 2 15" kickers and i need help choosing which amp i should get with those.any suggestions?

I WOULD REPLACE THE FACTORY RADIO,AFTER WHILE THEY WORK LIKE *BLEEP*,IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT GET A DOUBLE DIN THEY LOOK GREAT I JUST PUT 1 IN MY 1992 LS 400 WITH A 4 CHANNEL KICKER AMP.I RAN THE INSIDE SPEAKER TIED THEM IN THE FRONT CHANNEL AND BRIDGE THE SUB 12 INCH IN THE OTHER CHANNEL.THE SOUND IS GREAT.BUT IF YOU R RUNNING 2 SUBS I WOULD A MONO AMP TO PUSH THE SUB AND A 2 CHANNEL AMP TO PUSH THE INSIDE SPEAKES BECAUSE THEY R SMALL ANY WAY.NOW BASED ON HOW POWERFUL YOUR MONO AMP IS WILL DETERMINE WHETHER U WANT A COMPACITOR THEY WILL HELP U FROM TAKING TO MUC :lol: :D H POWER FROM YOUR BATTERY WHEN THE BASE DROP.

Keep the stock stereo....

In MY opinion aftermarket stereos just look cheesy and out of place in the LS. I'll find a pic of my 91. I kicked myself in the !Removed! afterwards. Oh and the only things they could hook the new one up to was the speakers. That means no dimming feature and a BIRGHT @$$ deck in your face at night! :lol:

Even if you get a double din it will still have the gaps on either side... Just looks VERY out of place to me. and begging to be ripped off! :D :D

DSCF0220.jpg

( YES, that is Montgomery Gentry B) )

DSCF0218.jpg

Keep the stock stereo....

In MY opinion aftermarket stereos just look cheesy and out of place in the LS. I'll find a pic of my 91. I kicked myself in the !Removed! afterwards. Oh and the only things they could hook the new one up to was the speakers. That means no dimming feature and a BIRGHT @$$ deck in your face at night! :lol:

Even if you get a double din it will still have the gaps on either side... Just looks VERY out of place to me. and begging to be ripped off! :D :D

DSCF0220.jpg

( YES, that is Montgomery Gentry B) )

DSCF0218.jpg

NOTE I WOULD NEVER GO WITH A SINGLE DIN I AGREE IT LOOKS CHEAP IN THESE CARS,THAT IS Y I SAID GO WITH A DOUBLE DIN HEAD LIKE I DID IT LOOKS FACTORY AND IT FILLS UP THE HOLE PERFECT.I BOUGHT THE KENWOOD DOUBLE DIN WITH NAVI,LOOKS LIKE IT WAS BOUGHT THAT WAY.

A double din still would not fit 100%.

To the OP do what you will, but my advice would be to save your money for something else. Just get some subs hooked up in the back. Save The +$600 for a nice stereo and lower your car ;)

To the OP do what you will, but my advice would be to save your money for something else. Just get some subs hooked up in the back. Save The +$600 for a nice stereo and lower your car ;)

Check out the kenwood model that is a flush mount,mine look pretty close to perfect,also the factory radio is very boreing at least to me,got to go with the newer look.1 more point the problem with these Ls 400 the radio and the climate control screens fade alot on these cars,lexus really need to do better.I still think these cars are the best.My wife drives a 2006 430 benz and she likes my car better :D

Check out the kenwood model that is a flush mount,mine look pretty close to perfect,also the factory radio is very boreing at least to me,got to go with the newer look.1 more point the problem with these Ls 400 the radio and the climate control screens fade alot on these cars,lexus really need to do better.I still think these cars are the best.My wife drives a 2006 430 benz and she likes my car better :D

You should put up a pic.

No a double din will not fit 100% like the factory stereo.

I'm just talking about gaps on either side of the deck. I personally think it looks tacky if it doesn't fit 100%.

Yours looks good in the dark ;)

:cheers:

lol ok ill go pull my car out of the garage and show u exactly how much better a double din looks than a regular deck...its not even close in comparison

thank you, a friend did the job for me, a single din doesnt look right because theres too much space and the deck only takes up a little bit of it so u have a huge void on the top and bottom of the deck, it looks suspended in their, almost as if its floating in air

I have been wanting to replace the factory stereo and I also do not like the look of the single Din. I never tought of the double. Thanks. Oh, has anyone thought of replacing the black area around the stereo with the wood grain? I do not konw if Lexus makes it but I thought that might make the area look better.

DuaneG

OK.

I was just saying I wouldn't flame anyone for buying a double din like yours.

But wouldn't personally do it to my own vehicle. I love the look of a completely stock interior.... other than JP accessories I guess :D

yeah the stereo in there now is fading out.so i would either have to buy a new factory one which ive found for like $250 but i think i'd rather spend a little extra and buy a double DIN. because then i could get the navigation system in it already and most of the time ill be listening to my ipod hooked up through stereo anyway or cd's.