Anyone Have Bridgestone Dueler Hl Alenza Tires?

silviatwo

I have a 2004 Lexus R330 and I just bought 4 new tires (see topic title). However the size of P235/55R18 tires are either made in Mexico or Japan. I am wondering if anyone has the tires and where are yours made in? If Mexico, how do you like them and how long have you had them for? should I be concern about mine being manufactured in Mexico as opposed to japan?

Hi, bought 4 last year. 3 are from Japan, one from Mexico. I didn't notice the difference in manufacture source until much later, but except from minor sidewall stamping differences, I sure can't tell anything on the tread. I only have about 10000 miles on them but I love them. I don't think I'd recognize any problem Japan vs Mexico unless the Mexican one blows without provocation in the future. Anyway, I am much happier with these than the original Michelins on our 05 RX330.

Our set of Alenzas was mounted in mid-February 2007 and now has a bit over 46,000 miles on the tread. All four were built in Japan. Bridgestone's quality control with the Alenza tire is excellent, and I wouldn't be concerned about country of origin. Be more concerned about properly caring for your tires. Check their pressures (cold) at least every couple of weeks and keep them properly inflated. Rotate them at every oil-and-filter change. And watch the treadwear patterns for alignment issues. The Alenzas are a great truck & SUV tire in just about all weather conditions. Ours have never even come close to hydroplaning, even as they near 50,000 miles....

I don't know where mine were made, but they have 42,000+ on them and are they're going strong. They aren't as soft as the OEM, but they ride OK... a little firmer, slightly more road noise, but not at all notible after driving them for a few days. Most important to me is that they've gone about 12,000 miles farther than OEM and have little noticeable tread wear. If they're still making this tire when mine finally wear out, I'll get another set of them.

You bought good tires.

I would be more concerned with the date they were made, rather than where the tires were made. According to Consumer Reports:

Every tire has a Department of Transportation (DOT) number following the letters on the sidewall. The last four digits determine the week and year the tire was made; for example, the digits 2204 would signify that the tire was made during the 22nd week of 2004. Don't buy tires more than a couple of years old. They can degrade with age.

I'm ready for my 2nd set of tires on our '04 RX at 80k miles, and I'm still debating whether to get the OEM. I'm more concerned with a soft, quiet ride.

• 2 months later...
Our set of Alenzas was mounted in mid-February 2007 and now has a bit over 46,000 miles on the tread. All four were built in Japan. Bridgestone's quality control with the Alenza tire is excellent, and I wouldn't be concerned about country of origin. Be more concerned about properly caring for your tires. Check their pressures (cold) at least every couple of weeks and keep them properly inflated. Rotate them at every oil-and-filter change. And watch the treadwear patterns for alignment issues. The Alenzas are a great truck & SUV tire in just about all weather conditions. Ours have never even come close to hydroplaning, even as they near 50,000 miles....

Do you remember what you paid for the Alenzas? And did you put them on yourself? Where did you purchase them? Thanks.

I had Discount Tire swap out the brand-new set of Michelins that had just been mounted on the vehicle by the dealer before we bought it. The dealer had purchased the Michelins at the Discount Tire branch that he always uses, so there was no problem in me doing this since I required the dealer to give me the Michelin tire receipt. The Alenzas cost me a total of $47 out-of-pocket to swap out....

Haven't priced them lately so I don't know what a set would go for today. Try tirerack.com. Then try Discount Tire. Also call your local Firestone dealer and ask for a buy-three-get-one-free deal. In this tough economy, most tire dealers are willing to bend over backwards these days to get your business, so if you don't negotiate you're paying way too much. Discount Tire will typically match any deal you can find elsewhere - they are a great tire chain and most of their customers go back time and time again when they need tires....

• 3 months later...

I have a 2005 Rx 330 and just replaced the Michelin tires with Dueler HL tires and noticed my MPG has dropped. The Michelins were qrap, however when I increased their psi to 35 I started getting 25 mpg. With the Duelers I get 22 mpg at 35 psi. Maybe I should increase the psi to 40? WSY?

I have a 2005 Rx 330 and just replaced the Michelin tires with Dueler HL tires and noticed my MPG has dropped. The Michelins were qrap, however when I increased their psi to 35 I started getting 25 mpg. With the Duelers I get 22 mpg at 35 psi. Maybe I should increase the psi to 40? WSY?

I'm betting you're not gonna like the ride very well at 40 psi. I'll bet you can tell the difference between what they call for and the 35. I have noticed that on my DIL's RX that at recommended pressure they all tend to wear on both inside and outside, so it is indicating underinflation. A lot of (car) manufacturers recommend pressure that is really too low for good mileage and wear, just to get a nice ride.

Sorry to answer a question with a question but you did replace with the exact same size tire, right?

I'm betting you're not gonna like the ride very well at 40 psi. I'll bet you can tell the difference between what they call for and the 35. I have noticed that on my DIL's RX that at recommended pressure they all tend to wear on both inside and outside, so it is indicating underinflation. A lot of (car) manufacturers recommend pressure that is really too low for good mileage and wear, just to get a nice ride.

The ride was fine and already have noticed better MPG.

Sorry to answer a question with a question but you did replace with the exact same size tire, right?

Same size tires.

Were the Michelin tires you replaced Michelin Energy tires? I know Michelin makes fuel efficiency claims for these tires and I have read some good reviews from users. I remember a guy with a 2006 Highlander claiming 5+mpg when he changed to Michelin Energy.