2007 Es 350

TeamO

In cold temps (and even 50 degress Fah and colder), I hear rattling noises from my dash. It has to be the plastic clips compressing (due to the cold temps), therefore creating space for the clips to hit against other pieces from under the dash. Should I get the clips insulated with felt, etc, or have the dealership remove the plastic clips? Also, either way, I think this would classify as a warranty issue? Any other recommendation would be helpful. Thanks.

In cold temps (and even 50 degress Fah and colder), I hear rattling noises from my dash. It has to be the plastic clips compressing (due to the cold temps), therefore creating space for the clips to hit against other pieces from under the dash. Should I get the clips insulated with felt, etc, or have the dealership remove the plastic clips? Also, either way, I think this would classify as a warranty issue? Any other recommendation would be helpful. Thanks.

My ES does not have that problem and I have not heard of it a lot in this group. I suggest you read the GS300/GS330/GS430 posts because that model has a lot of problems with dashboard rattles and there has been a number of good posts on how to best handle it.

Good Luck

Yes, AZ that sounds very logical when you put it in those terms.

Until, of course, you have taken the car to the dealer more times than you care to count for squeaks and rattles - then the opportunity cost of taking the car back to the dealer for yet another squeak or rattle, instead of trying to go about your daily life, just isn’t there.

Turn the music up or trade it; I am currently utilizing the first part of my suggestion. I love the car – the looks, how it drives, even the Lexus service experience. The squeaks and rattles are about to do me in….

Sad.

You're right, I am taking my car in for an oil change and part of what I want them to work on is the rattle coming from the trunk/back area. This they had worked on before... It seems like the rear shade is squeaking now. I don't want to get rid of the car though, I really love it!

Also, my wife's 08 Highlander has squeaks coming from the dash. That's more of a pain because they will not give me a loaner at the Toyota dealership...

Thats such a shame...mine has 120k miles and its rattle and squeak free....

Our '04 Prius rattles more than any car I've ever had, its almost unbearable to drive on the highway (most of the vibrations and buzzes happen at highway speeds)

Yes, AZ that sounds very logical when you put it in those terms.

Until, of course, you have taken the car to the dealer more times than you care to count for squeaks and rattles - then the opportunity cost of taking the car back to the dealer for yet another squeak or rattle, instead of trying to go about your daily life, just isn’t there.

Turn the music up or trade it; I am currently utilizing the first part of my suggestion. I love the car – the looks, how it drives, even the Lexus service experience. The squeaks and rattles are about to do me in….

Sad.

My IS same issues. After a while you just got to get on with your life. I turn the music on and crack the passenger window a bit. The problem is that the cars are just too quite inside I think, so you hear anything. And although there are a few on this forum who do not have any rattles or squeaks - I think it is rare not to - in fact I was told by a LEXUS Tech the GS is WORSE. My favorite story is my Cousin who is a die-hard Mercedes guy and said to me "I have never had a squeak or rattle in my cars"... I said to my wife "...let him lend it to me for a week I will find them!"

Too funny.... unless my memory is failing, I cannot remember ever hearing a rattle/squeak in my 07 Prius. lol

Now - the seat was horribly uncomfortable, I hated the interior materials and it did not have tilt wheel (which was a deal breaker after a year when you are 6'2" and mostly leg)!

Apparently each car, even of the same make and model have their own intricacies.

I spoke to one of the service techs at the local lexus dealership. According to the dealership, the rattling noise from the dash is a common problem in the newer (2007 on) ES, IS and GS models, for those vehicles that are driven in the northeast area of the US (example: PA up to Maine) because of the infrequent climate changes we experience. In NJ, one day it will be sunny and 50 degrees in Feb and the next day it will be 28 degrees. Apparently, the majority of the complaints for this problem are in the northeast area of the US; not to say that it doesnt or cant exist elsewhere, but there are no mentions of this problem on the West coast, due to the nicer climate conditions. To make a long story short, for the 2007 ES350, Lexus used a different dash than in the ES300 and 330 models. Through troubleshooting, some Lexus Techs (from the northeast area of the US) discovered that the plastic clips (I think there are maybe 5 or 6) that are under the dash, contract when the weather is cold, then warm, then cold etc. The fix is to remove the dash, put felt on those clips, thereby creating somewhat of an insulator when the clips contract. The success rate of the felt on the plastic clips is around 90% in regards to reducing the rattling noises from the dash. Hope this helped.

The problem is that the cars are just too quite inside I think, so you hear anything.

It is not at all acceptable that a Lexus has rattles.

I've had direct experience with several Lexus models over significant mileages and none of them have ever developed serious rattles. My dad's previous 98 LS had 170k on it...not one rattle. My ES has over 120k, there were a couple little rattles that they had TSBs for (a peice of trim on the rear door and the windshield cowl) that were fixed when they started rattling and it remains rattle free. My dad's 04 LS430 has 80k miles or so and it is also completely rattle-free.

If they used to be able to build these cars rattle free...they can still build them rattle free. They haven't gotten any quieter inside, they've simply reduced the quality level of their construction and thats not acceptable to me as a long time Lexus owner.

Too funny.... unless my memory is failing, I cannot remember ever hearing a rattle/squeak in my 07 Prius. lol

Oh God, ours is AWFUL. The entire dashboard buzzes and rattles at speed, the rearview mirror rattles. Its so bad driving down the highway we push on the dash in various places and we can actually stop the rattling but it comes back as soon as you let go. Only 44k miles. I cannot stand driving the thing...

If you read around on PriusChat, lots of people talk about rattles.

I have the same issue with my es! I am currently at college so mine sits out all the time, and it is cold outside, and the roads arent good here, thus it rattles ALL the time!! I have to take mine in to the dealer to fix a damaged piece of vinyl and I'm going to get them to look at it. Also, I have a bad rattle in the back with the sunshade is too, mostly hear it over bumps, my subwoofer makes it bounce too sometimes. when I say bounce I mean rattles the heck out of it. they replaced that package tray one time due to a defect and I don't think it was ever put down properly. they said they fixed it before, "took clips out, added insulation and what not" but there's still a rattle, idk what to do except other than just get them to look at it again when I get the vinyl piece fixed!

The problem is that the cars are just too quite inside I think, so you hear anything.

It is not at all acceptable that a Lexus has rattles.

I've had direct experience with several Lexus models over significant mileages and none of them have ever developed serious rattles. My dad's previous 98 LS had 170k on it...not one rattle. My ES has over 120k, there were a couple little rattles that they had TSBs for (a peice of trim on the rear door and the windshield cowl) that were fixed when they started rattling and it remains rattle free. My dad's 04 LS430 has 80k miles or so and it is also completely rattle-free.

If they used to be able to build these cars rattle free...they can still build them rattle free. They haven't gotten any quieter inside, they've simply reduced the quality level of their construction and thats not acceptable to me as a long time Lexus owner.

Oh God, ours is AWFUL. The entire dashboard buzzes and rattles at speed, the rearview mirror rattles. Its so bad driving down the highway we push on the dash in various places and we can actually stop the rattling but it comes back as soon as you let go. Only 44k miles. I cannot stand driving the thing...

If you read around on PriusChat, lots of people talk about rattles.

I have to agree that a lexus should be rattle free, But I remember when I came on

here and stated that Lexus quality had took a big dip and also I said that my 07 ES

had lower quality than my 01 Camary I was jumped on from all sides in fact I said

that Toyota way no longer building cars to their previous standards.

Well a year later it seems the chickins are coming home to roost.

I have to agree that a lexus should be rattle free, But I remember when I came on

here and stated that Lexus quality had took a big dip and also I said that my 07 ES

had lower quality than my 01 Camary I was jumped on from all sides in fact I said

that Toyota way no longer building cars to their previous standards.

I'm sure you did get jumped on, but I've always said this about the new ES...