Looking To Find A Ls430

tkbalt

Just sold my 2001 ES and am looking at getting a LS430. Looking at 2004 - 2006 model year. In looking at "certified" cars vs cars for sale at other dealers, appears Lexus is not afraid to charge for the certified warranty. Having had 4 "certified" ES300's in the past - its a wonderful program. I am going back to my dealer to look at the 430's - but they are 6-8K higher for the same model year with comparable miles. Am I paying for the "certified" program, or the "privilege" of dealing with a Lexus dealer.

I am looking for a loaded (Nav, ML Audio) 04-06 with 25 to 40K miles and am willing to pay a premium for one in excellent shape - but not looking to get held up. Suggestions?

I can only tell you what I did in 2003. I bought an off lease 2000 LS400 from an non-Lexus dealer for over $8,000 less than what the Lexus dealer was asking for two CPO 2000 LS400 with similar (about 36,000) miles. The car I bought still had almost a year and 12,000 miles left on its 4yr/50K mile warranty which gave me plenty of time to get a few minor issues fixed, including getting a new set of rather expensive LS430 chrome wheels to replace the original ones that had some corrosion.

I just could not see the value of the CPO program. If I wanted an extended warranty, I could have purchased one for a fraction of the $8,000 price from the insurance company I just retired from.

I suggest that you look for a car that still has a substantial amount of warranty left to give you time to get any issues fixed.

The Ininiti dealer I visited offered CPO on their cars for $850. When my dad bought his Accord, the dealership would knock about $700 off the car if they dropped the CPO coverage. That gives you an idea of how much the cost is to the dealership.

I am also looking for a 2005-2006 LS430 and have found that the dealers are much (3-4 thousand) over private owner or non-Lexus dealer.

I am looking at a 2005 LS with 22000 miles and in outstanding condition. This book value runs from 28900 to 35400 and I have tenatively agreed to pay the dealer 32000. A friend of mine in the are tells me that the car is not worth more than 28000 based on what similar cars are selling for at auction.

I like having the 3 year/100000 mile warranty, but I don't want to get taken to the cleaners. The dealer also charges $498 to do the paperwork and claims it is not negotiable. With taxes and all I am looking at $33500 to buy this car.

The car is in excellent condition and I don't want to spend much more time looking, but it's hard to determine what it's worth to deal with a Lexus Preowned.

I am also looking for a 2005-2006 LS430 and have found that the dealers are much (3-4 thousand) over private owner or non-Lexus dealer.

I am looking at a 2005 LS with 22000 miles and in outstanding condition. This book value runs from 28900 to 35400 and I have tenatively agreed to pay the dealer 32000. A friend of mine in the are tells me that the car is not worth more than 28000 based on what similar cars are selling for at auction.

I like having the 3 year/100000 mile warranty, but I don't want to get taken to the cleaners. The dealer also charges $498 to do the paperwork and claims it is not negotiable. With taxes and all I am looking at $33500 to buy this car.

The car is in excellent condition and I don't want to spend much more time looking, but it's hard to determine what it's worth to deal with a Lexus Preowned.

cowboy;

Some here will probably howl with disagreement, but I watch eBay and Craigslist constantly. After you throw out the overpriced dreamers on the high side & the trashed cars on the low side, you'll see a pretty clear pattern that will tell you what you should pay. Also, see if you can cozy up to an Indie Dealer and tag along with him to the Mannheim auto auction nearest you. It'll cost you $500 or so, but if you find the right car and win the auction , you can save $$$$.

$32K seems steep to me. $498, non negotiable, blah, blah, blah............Even at 22K miles, I'd walk. Smells too much like a hose job to me. I think your friend is probably in the ballpark. If you want to torture yourself for a while longer, you might find it for less.

The dealer can ask whatever they want. And I always feel free to offer a lower price. Take it or leave it. In these times, if you find the car you want at the

dealer, be reasonable but give them YOUR bottom-line price and be prepared to walk away. Bet you won't get out the door w/o the keys.

Cowboy - Good luck on your 05 - sounds like a great car.

I started this thread looking at a certified 06 with 18K miles. Dealer wanted 35K.

Ended up with a certified 03 with 37K for around 20K. Clearly not the deal of the century - but should be a great car. The 04 - 06 models have a few more horse's (which you can feel when you drive both) and a number of other goodies (back up camera, bluetooth, keyless start). The 03 drove like it was on rails, quiet as a mouse, and was in excellent condition. If I have as good of luck with it as my prior 3 ES 300's, I will be a happy camper.

If you have not had a lexus - you pay - but they are great cars and dealer service is second to none. This is my first LS - pick it up Friday, looking forward to driving the LS

I started this thread looking at a certified 06 with 18K miles. Dealer wanted 35K.

Ended up with a certified 03 with 37K for around 20K. Clearly not the deal of the century - but should be a great car. The 04 - 06 models have a few more horse's (which you can feel when you drive both) and a number of other goodies (back up camera, bluetooth, keyless start). The 03 drove like it was on rails, quiet as a mouse, and was in excellent condition. If I have as good of luck with it as my prior 3 ES 300's, I will be a happy camper.

If you have not had a lexus - you pay - but they are great cars and dealer service is second to none. This is my first LS - pick it up Friday, looking forward to driving the LS

The 03 LS430 is a great choice. The five speed automatic is just about bullet proof and was in its 6th model year by 2003. A fairly high number of 2004 LS430's with the 6-speed had transmission problems that sometimes required transmission replacement. I don't think the horsepower of the 04-06 LS430 is any greater. You might be able to add a backup camera and for sure you can add a Bluetooth kit that will at least respond to voice commands. Personally, I like the 01-03 LS430 styling more than the 04-06. Plus, with the 03 LS430 you are more likely to get 16" or 17" wheels and tires that provide a nicer ride than the 18" wheels and tires that came on the later LS430. It's a big change from an ES300, isn't it?

The 03 LS430 is a great choice. The five speed automatic is just about bullet proof and was in its 6th model year by 2003. A fairly high number of 2004 LS430's with the 6-speed had transmission problems that sometimes required transmission replacement. I don't think the horsepower of the 04-06 LS430 is any greater. You might be able to add a backup camera and for sure you can add a Bluetooth kit that will at least respond to voice commands. Personally, I like the 01-03 LS430 styling more than the 04-06. Plus, with the 03 LS430 you are more likely to get 16" or 17" wheels and tires that provide a nicer ride than the 18" wheels and tires that came on the later LS430. It's a big change from an ES300, isn't it?

Hi Jim;

You've mentioned '04 tranny problems in a couple of your posts now. I just bought one about a month ago and I'm going to take it to a Stealer and have them run the recall list for me. It's only got 36K on it and the warranty for powertrain is 6/70,000, so I'm not too concerned there. Can you direct me to a good link that fully explains what the potential problems are with the tranny? By searching Google briefly, I've seen "that between 13,000 & 14,000 cars were affected by a part coming loose and prohibiting the tranny from being put into Park" described, but my woman's intuition tells me that there may be more to it than just that. I place zero trust in the Stealer to be straight up with me and I want to go in armed with an education beforehand. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

BTW......do you or anyone else know if a tranny pan is available with a drain plug in it as an aftermarket item? I doubt it, but not having a drain and not reasonably easily being able to change my own fluid is really unacceptable. I happen to sit on the side of the fence where I don't buy into the "sealed for life" argument.

Hi Jim;

You've mentioned '04 tranny problems in a couple of your posts now. I just bought one about a month ago and I'm going to take it to a Stealer and have them run the recall list for me. It's only got 36K on it and the warranty for powertrain is 6/70,000, so I'm not too concerned there. Can you direct me to a good link that fully explains what the potential problems are with the tranny? By searching Google briefly, I've seen "that between 13,000 & 14,000 cars were affected by a part coming loose and prohibiting the tranny from being put into Park" described, but my woman's intuition tells me that there may be more to it than just that. I place zero trust in the Stealer to be straight up with me and I want to go in armed with an education beforehand. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

BTW......do you or anyone else know if a tranny pan is available with a drain plug in it as an aftermarket item? I doubt it, but not having a drain and not reasonably easily being able to change my own fluid is really unacceptable. I happen to sit on the side of the fence where I don't buy into the "sealed for life" argument.

Hi there, attached is the 04 LS430 recall doc from the ARRC website. I don't know about a tran pan with a drain plug. I have a shop replace the tran fluid in my 00 LS every 30K miles and that is probably more than is needed. I don't mind doing simple maintenance but I hate to drop the tran pan -- too much mess and trouble.

2004_LS430_transmission_recall.pdf

Thanks - and good to hear. The 2003 was a last minute change. I went in to ink the deal on the Silver 06 and the 03 was sitting out front. The owners had just come in to pick up their new 460. When I first walked up, thought it was the silver 06 for a minute. Had NAV, 37K miles, bought new at the dealer, serviced at the dealer, dealer and owner stated zero problems. Drove it home to have the wife look at the color - kind of a silver gray / light blue / pearl color (not yet sure of the actual color). Interior is Gray. The car drove like a dream, wife liked the color, 15K less money - I can do this. In any event - you are right - a big change from the ES300. They are putting the car thru certification this week - pick up Friday. Can't wait.

Hi Jim;

Hi there, attached is the 04 LS430 recall doc from the ARRC website. I don't know about a tran pan with a drain plug. I have a shop replace the tran fluid in my 00 LS every 30K miles and that is probably more than is needed. I don't mind doing simple maintenance but I hate to drop the tran pan -- too much mess and trouble.

Jim;

Thank You Sir!

Agreed, too much mess.......

Hi Jim;

Congrats on your new 430! :cheers:

I would look into having a machine shop thread the pan.

Hi Jim;

Congrats on your new 430! :cheers:

I would look into having a machine shop thread the pan.

EUBT;

Thanks for the congrats!

I can do the machine work myself (I'm cursed that way.....). It would have to have a backing collar turned, threaded and brazed onto the inside of the pan, with a corresponding hole for the plug, all aligned..........

By the time I do it, or a machine shop does it, it turns out to be cost prohibitive. Not to mention if it leaks, now I've got a real mess to deal with, in more ways than one. I imagine that Lexi don't exactly give new pans away. Thanks for the suggestion though.

EUBT;

Thanks for the congrats!

I can do the machine work myself (I'm cursed that way.....). It would have to have a backing collar turned, threaded and brazed onto the inside of the pan, with a corresponding hole for the plug, all aligned..........

By the time I do it, or a machine shop does it, it turns out to be cost prohibitive. Not to mention if it leaks, now I've got a real mess to deal with, in more ways than one. I imagine that Lexi don't exactly give new pans away. Thanks for the suggestion though.

No offence to your machine shop skills, but if you take it to a shop with custom exp, it should be a piece of cake for them to do. I don't think it would be that expensive. Makes the drains hella simpler than dropping the pan. Of course, if you don't want it to leak, you have to use a good shop. I've had shops do all kinds of custom jobs, rarely any probs unless of course your design has flaws.

Btw, how about some details & pics?

EUBT;

Thanks for the congrats!

No offence to your machine shop skills, but if you take it to a shop with custom exp, it should be a piece of cake for them to do. I don't think it would be that expensive. Makes the drains hella simpler than dropping the pan. Of course, if you don't want it to leak, you have to use a good shop. I've had shops do all kinds of custom jobs, rarely any probs unless of course your design has flaws.

Btw, how about some details & pics?

EUBT;

Nah, certainly no offense taken. I build custom, high accuracy match and benchrest rifles. I do my own work because I've had way too many instances of others doing lousy work and making a real mess of things. I've got too many hobbies that I don't have time for as it is. The last thing I need is to venture down this path and have problems. I'm just going to bite the bullet and take it in to my Indie for the periodic tranny fluid change.

I'm also going to investigate getting a hold of the proper fittings for the tranny fluid cooler lines. They appear to be relatively easy to get at. Provided I can get more fittings and kluge up a temporary reservoir for new fluid, that may be the ticket to changing the fluid.

No pic's yet.....may be a while. Traded up from a '95 w/250K on it. The '95 still rides better than most new American cars. Sorry Detroit, but you did it to yourselves.......you did a fine job of chasing me off.

Anyway, the new one is an '04 lease return w/36K, Silver w/black interior. Not the Ultra package, no air ride (Yea!), no Smart Key (boo!), no radar cruise (boo!, sort of.....). Other than that, pretty much loaded w/ Levinson, Nav, heated seats (yea!) and all the other goodies. I'm quite happy with it. $20K. The Dealer (independent) cried (he was asking $27K)......I sniffed too, just to let him think I cared a little.....

They are charging you close to $5,000 for buying from them. Buy from an individual an LS 430 that is still well within warranty. That way you can check it for body work (or have someone check for you for $50-100) and then you have the waranty to back you up. Don't pay for an extended warranty.