Extended Warranty?

I recently bought an 08 GS 350 after having owned several German cars that were not very reliable. I went with Lexus because of reliability and resale value. After reading all the complaints about rattles, squeaks and mechanical problems, I'm considering buying the extended warranty. The dealer offered one for $2500 which I passed on and instead I'm considering one from my credit union for $715 (supreme policy with $200 deductible, 5 year 100K miles).

Any thoughts, comments on extended warranties would be appreciated. I've followed the philosophy of not buying warranties when buying a "reliable brand" but all these comments have me reconsidering...especially for $715.

compare any extended warranty you consider. Read all the fine print. Find out what is covered, find out if you pay up front then have to wait to get reimbursed, find out what is NOT covered. Do not expect that all extended warranties are create equal....they are not.

steviej

Most extended warranty including Lexus' do not cover rattles. You GS has a standard 4 year bumper to bumper warranty and a 5 year power train warranty already, what exactly is that $715 buying you? One year of bumper to bumper excluding the powertrain, since your powertrain is cover for that 5th year already???

There is a dealer on the internet that sells a 7 year 100000 mile Lexus warranty for around $1600, you might want to look into to that.

compare any extended warranty you consider. Read all the fine print. Find out what is covered, find out if you pay up front then have to wait to get reimbursed, find out what is NOT covered. Do not expect that all extended warranties are create equal....they are not.

steviej

Well the dealer said it was bumper to bumper but I didn't get far enough to read the actual cover and exclusions. The policy I'm looking at covers a great deal except most wear and tear parts.

Most extended warranty including Lexus' do not cover rattles. You GS has a standard 4 year bumper to bumper warranty and a 5 year power train warranty already, what exactly is that $715 buying you? One year of bumper to bumper excluding the powertrain, since your powertrain is cover for that 5th year already???

There is a dealer on the internet that sells a 7 year 100000 mile Lexus warranty for around $1600, you might want to look into to that.

You are correct, it covers parts failures and not rattles or cosmetics. I drive about 20,000 miles per year so I figure my warranty will expire in 2.5 years. The extended warranty would carry me for the additional 50K miles which would buy me about 2.5 more years of coverage. I've read the policy and it covers just about everything with the exception of items that normally wear. Too many details to get into the coverage on forum.

I believe that G Man is talking about a guy named Toby Rivers. He is a sponsor here and can sell the factory Lexus/Toyota extended warranties and he sells them discounted. If you are going factory warranty, you may want to check his pricing before you pull the trigger.

I am kind of with you on the extended warranty question. Buying Lexus sort of acts as an extended warranty since they rarely need the coverage. Nice to have when you really need it, but at what cost? Tuff decision.

You are correct, it covers parts failures and not rattles or cosmetics. I drive about 20,000 miles per year so I figure my warranty will expire in 2.5 years. The extended warranty would carry me for the additional 50K miles which would buy me about 2.5 more years of coverage. I've read the policy and it covers just about everything with the exception of items that normally wear. Too many details to get into the coverage on forum.

If you drive a lot of mileage and have decided on a extended warranty, I would recommand a Lexus platnium extended warranty. The Lexus warranty is a peace of mind compare to aftermarket warranties. With the aftermarket warranties, the company have to approve the repair before the work is done, that process can sometimes take a long time or deny altogther. There are also issues such as the comapny going out of business. What happens if a part fail and cause other part to fail as a result, many aftermarket warranty will only cover the original part that fail and will leave you with the bill for the other parts that fail due to the original failure.

If you do some research on the intenet, you can buy a Lexus warranty pretty close to that price you got from the credit union.

If you drive a lot of mileage and have decided on a extended warranty, I would recommand a Lexus platnium extended warranty. The Lexus warranty is a peace of mind compare to aftermarket warranties. With the aftermarket warranties, the company have to approve the repair before the work is done, that process can sometimes take a long time or deny altogther. There are also issues such as the comapny going out of business. What happens if a part fail and cause other part to fail as a result, many aftermarket warranty will only cover the original part that fail and will leave you with the bill for the other parts that fail due to the original failure.

If you do some research on the intenet, you can buy a Lexus warranty pretty close to that price you got from the credit union.

Thanks...great point. I looked up Toby Rivers from one of the posts on this topic and sent him a message. Any other resources would be appreciated.

RR.

Done the research on the EW on the internet. The biggest concern is the company going under. For about $500 more, I am sticking to factory extended warranty via Lexus dealership. Go to the dealership and ask for a contract and compare to what's out there. Hands down win for the factory.

Thanks...great point. I looked up Toby Rivers from one of the posts on this topic and sent him a message. Any other resources would be appreciated.

RR.

Done the research on the EW on the internet. The biggest concern is the company going under. For about $500 more, I am sticking to factory extended warranty via Lexus dealership. Go to the dealership and ask for a contract and compare to what's out there. Hands down win for the factory.

this exact situation happened to me with my motorcycle. I bought the extended service contract/warranty through the dealership and not Kawasaki's extended service plan. 6 months later the dealership closed it doors due to "loss of lease". I found out that they actually went bankrupt but wanted to save face incase the owner decides to open a new business somewhere. I was in the process of taking the dealership to small claims for the $750 I spent on a service contract that would not be honored when I got a letter saying that all extended warranties were going to be honored by another dealership. Problem is the dealership is twice the distance from me as the now defunct one. Had I gone with the Kawasaki EW, then I could take it to the dealership of my choice.

If you must have an extended warranty, I would say you would be better served by the Lexus one.

steviej

RR.

Try Troy from Toyota of Greenfield (MA). His full name is Troy Dietrich. He's at 413-772-0231. He has been the cheapest source for Lexus warranty I have found so far. I bought a 7 year 100000 Lexus platnium warranty from him for $1700, the dealer wanted $2600.

RR.

Try Troy from Toyota of Greenfield (MA). His full name is Troy Dietrich. He's at 413-772-0231. He has been the cheapest source for Lexus warranty I have found so far. I bought a 7 year 100000 Lexus platnium warranty from him for $1700, the dealer wanted $2600.

Got EW 7yrs/100K Lexus Platinum $0 deductible 2 yrs ago for my 07GS350 for $1800 from dealer after showing them the on-line quote from one of the Lexus dealers.

They initiallyl wanted $2500 for it.

• 1 month later...
I recently bought an 08 GS 350 after having owned several German cars that were not very reliable. I went with Lexus because of reliability and resale value. After reading all the complaints about rattles, squeaks and mechanical problems, I'm considering buying the extended warranty. The dealer offered one for $2500 which I passed on and instead I'm considering one from my credit union for $715 (supreme policy with $200 deductible, 5 year 100K miles).

Any thoughts, comments on extended warranties would be appreciated. I've followed the philosophy of not buying warranties when buying a "reliable brand" but all these comments have me reconsidering...especially for $715.

hello rich, i have a 2006 gs 300 rwd, thank God i never had the rattles and squeaks most people suffered thru, however, i have heard that some people got replacement vehicles early on because they (lexus) could not fix those "sound" problems. as some members pointed out here, you should look closely at the warranties as they do not cover squeaks and rattles, only problems, and even then most of them will not be fixed if they are based upon wear and tear.

i work with a lot of used car dealers in california (northern) and some of them point out that the coverage they provide the customers on extended warranties is very minimal.

so you should closely examine (with a fine tooth comb) the verbage used in warranties. if it were upto me, i wouldn't buy an extended warranty, based upon the high quality of products that toyota makes. check out consumer reports april 2009 for more info!

good luck to you!

Ali

ps: forgot to mention, i have a post out there someplace that details the prob's i faced over the course of my 119k miles -- i currently have 122k miles, and going strong!

Troy Dietrich at Toyota of Greenfield has best price I could find on factory extended warranty on my 06 GS300. Doesn't have to be sold by Lexus dealer, Toyota dealer can also sell.

Troy Dietrich (413) 772-0989

TDietrich@FactoryDiscountWarranty.com