Need Help Choosing An Ls430

foozool99

ok so i just checked through 33 pages of LS430 talks. i've seen a bunch of pros and a bunch of cons but i'm still stuck so please help. i test drove an 05 430 last night and fell in love but started thinking if the only difference is the lights then why not get a 2001 2002 or 2003 for much cheaper.

i can find a 2001/2002 for about $13,000-$14,000 with less than 80kmi. i can also find a 2004/2005 for about $20,000-$22,000 with less than 80kmi.

please help me because i cant figure out the differences except for the lights. newer navi (i think), push start, and the 5 speed vs 6 speed tranny

the transmission to me is a big factor, obviously 6 speed is better than 5 anyday, but reliability on both is just amazing and as for the 2004 i'm pretty sure i have to make sure i get one that the tranny was already checked.

i know my car will last to atleast 140kmi so i am wondering, is it really worth the $8,000 difference, especially if i like the exterior look on both about the same, and are there any other differences on the interior that i just dont know about

i really appreciate all of your help, i am new to this forum and new to Lexus so thank you for any input and advice you have

Its a great, great car. Both the 01-03 and the 04-06 are.

Personally? I would buy an 04-06 simply because I think the styling is greatly improved. Really though, thats the only reason...

From someone who has had both (first an '03, now an '05), they are very much the same car. I agree with Steve, though...I much prefer the styling of the '04-06. The nav upgrade is negligible. You probably won't notice much of a difference with the transmission, unless you test drive them back to back and/or enjoy using sport shift (shifting the gears manually). In my experience, it seems like the newer generation is more likely to have more appealing options such as the heated/cooled seats, rear sun shade and parking sensors. Oh, also the newer generation gets you back-up camera and Bluetooth...those are important to some... They will also be worth more when you decide to get rid of it. :-)

I actually prefer the nav in the 01-03, its the same generation as the nav in my car, our 04 Prius has the new generation nav and I think the older system has a more intuitive interface.

I actually prefer the nav in the 01-03, its the same generation as the nav in my car, our 04 Prius has the new generation nav and I think the older system has a more intuitive interface.

You know what? I agree.

Our gen 2/3 was much easier to figure out without checking the manual. Very intuitive. Bonus: The Gen 2/3 also retains the override ability even with 8.1.

The only downside is that the Gen 2/3 has that weak laser issue that comes up over time...not a cheap fix.

Overall I am not unhappy with our Gen 4 now that we have figured out the interface, but I wish I had the Gen 5 with the higher resolution screen.

Once its figured out its probably not an issue, but like you said its harder to figure out. Often used buttons that in the gen 2/3 system are on the surface are buried in menus on the gen 4 like the delete destination button, etc.

Plus the gen 2/3 has the nice color-option map face, and the gen 4 has that grainy grey background.

Personally? I would buy an 04-06 simply because I think the styling is greatly improved. Really though, thats the only reason...

Im also looking to purchase an LS430 for my wife this spring, but the 01 - 03 is the only model that can fit our budget right now :D which is still a nice upgrade from an 02 Honda Accord! i guess the coach edition is the one to shoot for with all the goodies?

I recently bought an '05 after looking at a couple of dozen 430s, 01-06 models. At first I was thinking the same thing: get an older one because they are significantly cheaper and not too different. Well, the more I looked the more I really liked the newer generation cars. And since dealers are pretty much giving them away, I decided to make the jump.

Absolutely no regrets with that decision.

The new cars look better, drive better, and the one I bought felt like a new car, even with 50k miles on it. I love the Modern Luxury package because it has the nav and awesome audio system without the hokey switches in the back seats where people rarely sit. Mine also has a smart key system which is great now that I set it to unlock all the doors instead of just the driver door.

I have recently seen 04 and 05 cars with fairly low mileage listed for $18-$20k here in Northern California. Those disappear fast, but if you are patient and look on Craig's List every day, you will find a great deal. The unlimited Carfax report is well worth the money to weed out the cars that are undesirable.

Happy shopping, foozool99. You won't regret getting a newer car, but if you get an older one you might ask yourself at some point, "should I have gone for it?"

i guess the coach edition is the one to shoot for with all the goodies?

No coach edition on the LS430. I think what you mean is the Ultra Luxury package.

It has a lot of neat goodies, but the concern is about the air suspension system and how expensive it would be down the line to repair...

Im also looking to purchase an LS430 for my wife this spring, but the 01 - 03 is the only model that can fit our budget right now :D which is still a nice upgrade from an 02 Honda Accord! i guess the coach edition is the one to shoot for with all the goodies?

Sounds like you are really splitting hairs and haggling with yourself. Suggest you get a well kept up 2002 - 2003 (Some of the 2001's had the worst seats). Then with that experience under your belt, maybe you can make a quicker decision on the one for your wife later this spring. I've got only 84k on my 2002 and love it. BTW, we faced a real choice between the LS430 and the 2002 Avalon in 2002. You might just peek at a comparable Avalon. In most of the reviews, it compares very, very well. Especially the appointments, tightness, and rear leg room.

I am also thinking about the LS430 2002 or the 2004 model. I am in Canada and how does the Lexus 430 handle in the snow and the ice?

Thanks

Gotta have snow tires. Its a pig in the snow with allseasons.

I am also thinking about the LS430 2002 or the 2004 model. I am in Canada and how does the Lexus 430 handle in the snow and the ice?

Thanks

Yes, I understand and where I live snow tires are a must and most people use studded winter tires. I was just wondering how it handles compared to a front wheel drive car?

Thanks

Yes, I understand and where I live snow tires are a must and most people use studded winter tires. I was just wondering how it handles compared to a front wheel drive car?

Magic;

If you are looking for a vehicle that handles well in the snow and ice, compared to your Expedition, then the LS is the wrong vehicle to consider. Even a comparison to most front wheel drive vehicles in the snow is not a good comparison.

If you are looking for one of the most comfortable, nicest riding best designed vehicles ever made, now your talking. If you take proper care of it, it will last you easily into the 250,000 to 300,000 mile range. Yes, it will cost you some in terms of maintenance. I have a '95 with 250,000 miles that I like better than just about all the new American rental cars I drive. I just bought a "new" '04 with 36K on it. It is gorgeous and I paid about $19K for it, which is less than a brand new "something-something" from Detroit. It will probably last me for ten years, easy.

Thanks

Magic;

If you are looking for a vehicle that handles well in the snow and ice, compared to your Expedition, then the LS is the wrong vehicle to consider. Even a comparison to most front wheel drive vehicles in the snow is not a good comparison.

If you are looking for one of the most comfortable, nicest riding best designed vehicles ever made, now your talking. If you take proper care of it, it will last you easily into the 250,000 to 300,000 mile range. Yes, it will cost you some in terms of maintenance. I have a '95 with 250,000 miles that I like better than just about all the new American rental cars I drive. I just bought a "new" '04 with 36K on it. It is gorgeous and I paid about $19K for it, which is less than a brand new "something-something" from Detroit. It will probably last me for ten years, easy.

I do not intend to drive it all through the winter. At the same time, I do not want it parked for 6 months either. I have a certain German car which I wanted to get rid off and buy the LS430. The SUV is a must where I live and I would keep the Expedition, if not another SUV.

I just wanted to know how the LS430 drives in the snow.

Thanks for the comments and I am now seriously looking to buy a 430, probably a 2004.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you are really splitting hairs and haggling with yourself. Suggest you get a well kept up 2002 - 2003 (Some of the 2001's had the worst seats). Then with that experience under your belt, maybe you can make a quicker decision on the one for your wife later this spring. I've got only 84k on my 2002 and love it. BTW, we faced a real choice between the LS430 and the 2002 Avalon in 2002. You might just peek at a comparable Avalon. In most of the reviews, it compares very, very well. Especially the appointments, tightness, and rear leg room.

We bought a 2000 Avalon for my 15 soon to be 16 year old son. paid $4800 with 160k miles. A bit much, but is such a clean car and ran so quiet, that could not pass it up. Unfortunately it was so much fun to drive that I wanted to keep it for myself.. First time in years I really had fun driving a car. So that little Avalon rest the reason that we went out and drove new ones, and happened by the 06 Lexus we bought. Now the son want the Lexus, and thinks the Avalon is perfect for the "ole Man" LOL

We had the Avalon checked out and replaced the timing belt and couple of tires. Dealer said it should be good for another 100k... LOL

On side note, Just came back from 6 or 7th Bangkok trip. Over there nothing but Toyota is used for taxi cabs. Several I was in had over 500k on them. Still ran great. Drivers would tell me, that the Toyota is only car to hold up to the wear and tear of being a taxi. A few Nissan but not many.