Engine Exchange

BROWAR

Hi

Are engines types exchangeable? What I mean is I have ES300 96' 1MZ-FE with problems piling up, I'm almost ready to buy one of the used engines from Japan.My question: Is that have to be that type of engine? 3VZ looks almost identical...

Browar,

You are best to stay with the exact engine that came with your car in order to get it to match up with your existing electrics, plumbing and tranny. A different engine will require a different computer in most applications as well. Unless some knowledgeable Service Tech can guarantee you a 100 % easy fit, don't change engine types. You are most likely looking at a world of grief and lots of bucks to get it to work correctly. You want an easy swap that will be painless and as inexpensive as possible. Good Luck!

OK, but I just heard from junk yard people that you can't put 1MZFE engine from Camry to Lexus. You can do it other way around. Apparently Q type of this engine is exact fit only. Something to do with oil sensor- Lexus is drilled and tapped in the back of the block, Toyota's are not. Any opinions about that? Do I have to look for an engine from Lexus only? Thanks

My neighbor just had this issue, Ordered a imze engine for highlander, got one, but no holes for the crankshaft end engine mount....Make sure to get what will fit. He would have had to drill the engine block, which might have voided the warranty...