Conventional Oil Vs. Synthetic Oil

RX in NC

I've spent the last couple of weeks on a multitude of Jaguar forums in order to glean as much care-and-feeding info as I can concerning our new (to us) 2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 sedan. Unlike many manufacturers who recommend synthetic oils more and more these days, Jaguar still recommends that owners stick with plain old Castrol 5W-30 conventional oil during the 4-year/50,000-mile warranty period. Even the car's engine oil cap is imprinted with the Castrol-recommended logo.

I assume Castrol makes a synthetic oil as well (which they would certainly prefer to sell us at a much higher mark-up than conventional oil), but Jaguar continues to stick with the tried-and-true.

In the meantime, the conventional-vs.-synthetic debate rages on. As I've said for years, just change your oil and filter on a routine, reasonable interval, don't switch back and forth using different oils from different manufacturers, and don't fall for any of the snake-oil super-duper additives that are out there in the real and virtual marketplaces. Be sensible, be smart, and you'll be fine....

Why not run the question by the service manager at the Jag dealer....see what he says. You can always go with Castrol Syntec or Syntec blend if you want to stay under the Castrol umbrella.

What are the drain intervals for your Jag anyways RX?

:cheers:

I spent an hour with the lead Jaguar Master Technician at the Jag dealership the day before we purchased the car. My first question to him was about oil.

"Castrol 5W-30 conventional is what Jaguar recommends, it is all we use, and it is all you should use while you're under warranty, period. Next question?" was his exact reply.

Like many European manufacturers, the Jaguar oil-and-filter required change interval on this S-Type is 10,000 miles. I've got one more free service on this car at the Jag dealership and then I'll take over myself. I'll change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles just to be safe and I'll stay with Castrol 5W-30 even though I prefer Valvoline since it has been good to me for more than 30 years. There is no history of sludge in these 3.0 V6 Lincoln engines. Jaguar has modified them with variable valve timing and a few other tweaks to maximize horsepower and performance, but this sucker still gets nearly 30 mpg on the highway and about 24 mpg around town. I didn't believe that would be possible but my wife's trip to and from Florida right after Christmas proved that this 3,800-pound sleek highway cruiser is capable of more than 32 mpg under the right circumstances. Unbelieveable....

I've been so busy researching this vehicle that I haven't even thought to take any photos. If I do, and then can figure out how to post them, I'll do so for your benefit. It's a "Quartz" (sort of a graphite grey) exterior with a "Dove" (very pale grey) Connolley leather interior and gorgeous Madrona wood trim throughout. Truly a beautiful car, but I wish it was a white exterior. White is by far the easiest color to maintain and resists fading far more than any other color regardless of manufacturer. But my wife really loves this Quartz exterior (plus I virtually stole the car when I made my offer to the Jag dealer) so I can't really complain....

Yep, I read it (and chuckled the whole time) years ago. The debate will go on forever (or at least until all conventional oils are phased out of the marketplace)....

My position hasn't budged over the decades. Conventional oil is fine as long as it is changed frequently enough (5,000 to 7,500 miles) and a reasonably decent oil filter is used. Oh, and don't abuse your vehicle as if it is a Formula 1 supercar and you are Emerson Fittapaldi. That approach certainly keeps me covered under warranty as far as Jaguar is concerned, and that's all I need at this point....

As someone recently posted, we'll prob never know what kind of wear happens inside the Lexus 4/4.3/4.6L etc, because there's not many that get rebuilt. So if you don't have a teardown, you can't know. Mcburnas droned about his uoa's, and I suppose that is an indicator if you want to bother. My volvo has rolled up over 500k and still shows about 5lbs difference on all 6 cyl. Regular drains/filter changes every 5k with dino oil, and if the body holds out, maybe another 100k, who knows? Didn't know that jag doesn't recommend synth oil. Wonder about the other makers?

I'm waiting for someone specific to comment on here, as this is like chum in the water..... You know who you are, as I've been schooled by you in the past too... :rolleyes:

EDIT: nevermind, just checked his profile, hasn't been on here in a long time.

... as this is like chum in the water.....

Gee, nc - I'm really not trying to "chum" any sharks, but I've been around for 61 years and spent many years in competitive racing, sand rails, off-roading, and cars and truck as a hobby. I've built a few engines from 2-stroke go-cart engines to big blocks. Back in my early days (when I was still somewhat wet behind the ears), I bought into the marketing hype and TV ads for miracle "oil additives" (I know... Amsoil is NOT an oil additive!) and one day I blew up a $6,000 Toyota Supra engine. I loved that car!! When my engine builder disassembled it and he asked me the question.... "Did you put an oil additive in this engine, by any chance?"... I knew at that moment I had a lot to learn about reality!! That's when I started to do more research to try to separate facts from marketing hype and perpetuated BS. I'm still working on that! :(

So, I'm just offering my worthless opinions B)

Randy, I wasn't barking or flaming you, or anyone. My apologies if it came off that way. I was referring to Mr.B, and the thread's title in general. Back in the day, he and I would go round and round about oils, with neither one of us coming away with anything different than what we believed from the beginning. Usually, he would of been all over a thread like this. That's what I meant by chum in the water. :cheers:

Me? I'm a M1 fan myself. But must admit, the cost of my oil changes every 5k miles is getting pretty steep with that stuff "around $45 -$50" with new filter and all. I do think an engine runs smoother with full synthetic oil in it. My LS certainly did "if smoother is possible in an LS". But, $50 v. $25 for regular, is certainly starting to make me rethink this.

For years, Pep Boys ran sales on conventional motor oil that was usually "buy 5 quarts of oil and one oil filter for $9.99 after rebate, limit two offers per household". The oils involved would rotate from Pennzoil to Castrol to Valvoline to Shell to maybe one or two other well-known brands. The Pep Boys flyer in our Sunday newspaper would always list the coming week's sale. I looked at that flyer every Sunday morning and whenever the deal was on Valvoline oil with a Purolator filter, I maxed out every time either with 5W-30 for my wife's RX or 10W-30 for my Ram. As a result, in my garage right now I know I have at least 30 quarts of 5W-30 and at least 20 quarts of 10W-30 along with at least 10 Purolator oil filters, probably 7 or 8 of them for the RX since it gets driven and therefore serviced much more than my Ram does. I was diligent about sending in the rebate forms and Pep Boys was always very responsive in sending me my rebate check, usually for about $12 or so.

This was by far the most cost-effective way to do oil-and-filter changes on our vehicles. My average cost for each oil-and-filter change was $10 plus tax on the RX (5 quarts) and $11.50 plus tax on the Ram (6 quarts). This went on for years, even as oil escalated to perhaps $3.50 a quart if you just bought a single bottle. What a deal this was, and that's why I stocked up every time Valvoline/Purolator rolled around even though I sometimes had to clear more shelf space to hold all the fluids and my wife complained that I was cutting into her garden supplies storage area.

But it appears that Pep Boys has finally recognized this as the loss leader that it had to be. I have not seen this offer for any brand of oil or oil filter now in at least three months. I assume they lost too much money doing this. I'm sure the deal was originally constructed years ago knowing that most consumers would not follow through with sending in the rebate requirements. But as oil continued to go up and the economy got worse and worse, I'm sure that far more Pep Boys customers started mailing in the forms and claiming their rebates. I don't blame Pep Boys - this was the best oil-and-filter deal going for years and years, and many times when I walked into Pep Boys, that was all I bought.

Sure wish this deal would make a return appearance. I don't expect it but it would be nice. Deals like this kept me from even remotely considering switching to synthetic oil - the cost differential couldn't even begin to be worth it....

The infamous "Mr B" is no longer with us ;)

So discuss away!

Infamous yes, colorfull nonetheless. It was always interesting to read a post from someone who's sucking on a lemon while seated in a wedgie. :P I think he's got enough entertainment value to give him another shot. Certainly, those with high blood pressure who get offended can filter him out. It would show how accommodating the LOC really is. Steve, think of the high drama and all the controversy. Could be a ratings bonanza! :D