Have Been Considering A 2001-02 Ls430 - Advice?

90LS400Lexus

Well, I have not read too many problems about the 2001-02 LS430s here and there is not a sticky for them like the LS400s, so wondering if someone here could give me some advice. It must be a 01-02 model, I prefer a 01 model with the smaller 7-slot wheels. For some reason I like these wheels better... I think they are the standard wheels?

I have been thinking of a "lesser" brand new car or truck (I gave my 91' LS to my mother) and will be using my Mercedes as a work car after I get something new/newer, but have always wanted an early LS430 and the prices are now about down to where I can get one into my budget - a higher mile one of course - not a mint showroom 12K mile example. :) I am really wanting a 2007 LS460 L (long wheelbase), but that will have to wait about 18 years I guess. :D

My LS400s have all had over 200K (one was just at 200K) and never had any major bank account breaking issues with them.

I know buying a higher mileage LS430 is a gamble and I know that making sure things like the major maintainence is up to date (and make sure the motor mounts have been replaced - lol). Are there any other major issues that have plagued these cars? I do not want to buy one and have major problems shortly after taking ownership. I am still unsure and I may even wait another year to two before I try to get one. I have also been wanting a new 2009 truck or a 2008 Camry, so we will see. I would rather have a older LS, but I know that upkeep/maintainence will be much higher.

Actually, if I could have my pick now, I would take this one... (someone buy it for me please :))

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-LEXUS-...1QQcmdZViewItem

3495375_10.jpg

Thanks for any advice/information.

While you really shouldn't go wrong with either the 2001 or 2002 LS430, my general rule is to never purchase the 1st year model of anything (have always been burned). The hidden problems, if any, will surface eventually. We have a 2002 with 84k which has been essentially trouble free. But bought the basic model. Only extras are the heated seats and sunroof. We also drive our vehicles until the become unreliable. I'm hoping for at least another 7 years on my LS430.

Consumer Reports gave the 2001 and 2002 LS430 an excellent rating in all areas...I don't think there were any major issues with them.

Finding a car with motor mounts that have already been replaced will be difficult, if not impossible. Most people don't change them unless they have some kind of a problem. A 2001 or 2002 LS 430 will likely not need them replaced for another 10 years.

Sure, replacing them earlier than that can make a difference, but I don't think it is necessary. My 92 LS still has its original motor mounts and there are no major vibrations that would give me a reason to change them.

Now is certainly a great time to buy! I remember you describing how much of a difficult time you had finding your last LS, and ended up purchasing one from out of town. Lexus LS cars are very popular in Kansas City and there is generally a good selection of used ones for sale here. If you find one here, I would be willing to look at it in person for you.

The later the model, the more electronics and complicated systems in the car to go wrong with it eventually. The older the model, the older the parts, the more to go wrong with it sooner. Catch 22?

It is a great time to buy! Keep in mind though, if you don't already have a shop with Lexus experience, find one. For the next 12 to 18 mths (as the predictions go), the dealers will be looking to their service departments for biz, since sales have tanked. As SRK alluded to in another post, the motivation for padding the bill will most certainly be there!

Thanks. Well, maybe I will wait 7 years and buy your LS? I can wait. :)

I had that in my head about what you mentioned about it being the first year of the LS. Its good though that Toyota and Lexus in general do not really have problems with the 1st year models. The original LS400 in 1990 was obviously a well done car (new model, Toyotas first V8, etc), since the only thing they changed for 1991 was larger brakes. I guess we could thank that for years of research. I have also owned a 1987 and a 1992 Toyota Camry- first years for each of their body designs and never had any problems. Hondas (of the 80s/90s anyway) seemed to also excel in this area. I also had a 2000 Toyota Tundra, which was the first year and they are pretty much bullet proof as well. However, with the very early Tundras, the exhaust manifolds on the V8s were known to crack and the automatic transmissions were known for early failure on the 2000-2002 models.

While you really shouldn't go wrong with either the 2001 or 2002 LS430, my general rule is to never purchase the 1st year model of anything (have always been burned). The hidden problems, if any, will surface eventually. We have a 2002 with 84k which has been essentially trouble free. But bought the basic model. Only extras are the heated seats and sunroof. We also drive our vehicles until the become unreliable. I'm hoping for at least another 7 years on my LS430.

lol. Thanks. I think its just where I have not had good luck with motor mounts on either of the LS400s I have owned. You are lucky that you are still OK with your 92'. The mounts on our 1991 are terrible and it only has 217K. My 1990 had 250K and the same vibration (mounts bad), but not as bad as they are on the 91). I guess Lexus' are fussy like that. I have cars much older, without motor mount problems. My old 1985 Mercedes had almost 300K miles and was 6 years older than my LS and the engine was steady and smooth as could be. I guess it depends on the design.

YES! I had a hard time finding a LS locally and had to get one out of Atlanta. Of course, after I bought mine, they were all over - even one identical to my car! I have seen some 430s around here, but they will all be over $20K - even 01' models. Cars are not cheap here, despite the poor economy in the area overall.

Thanks again!

Consumer Reports gave the 2001 and 2002 LS430 an excellent rating in all areas...I don't think there were any major issues with them.

Finding a car with motor mounts that have already been replaced will be difficult, if not impossible. Most people don't change them unless they have some kind of a problem. A 2001 or 2002 LS 430 will likely not need them replaced for another 10 years.

Sure, replacing them earlier than that can make a difference, but I don't think it is necessary. My 92 LS still has its original motor mounts and there are no major vibrations that would give me a reason to change them.

Now is certainly a great time to buy! I remember you describing how much of a difficult time you had finding your last LS, and ended up purchasing one from out of town. Lexus LS cars are very popular in Kansas City and there is generally a good selection of used ones for sale here. If you find one here, I would be willing to look at it in person for you.

Well, I have not read too many problems about the 2001-02 LS430s here and there is not a sticky for them like the LS400s, so wondering if someone here could give me some advice. It must be a 01-02 model, I prefer a 01 model with the smaller 7-slot wheels. For some reason I like these wheels better... I think they are the standard wheels?

I have been thinking of a "lesser" brand new car or truck (I gave my 91' LS to my mother) and will be using my Mercedes as a work car after I get something new/newer, but have always wanted an early LS430 and the prices are now about down to where I can get one into my budget - a higher mile one of course - not a mint showroom 12K mile example. :) I am really wanting a 2007 LS460 L (long wheelbase), but that will have to wait about 18 years I guess. :D

My LS400s have all had over 200K (one was just at 200K) and never had any major bank account breaking issues with them.

I know buying a higher mileage LS430 is a gamble and I know that making sure things like the major maintainence is up to date (and make sure the motor mounts have been replaced - lol). Are there any other major issues that have plagued these cars? I do not want to buy one and have major problems shortly after taking ownership. I am still unsure and I may even wait another year to two before I try to get one. I have also been wanting a new 2009 truck or a 2008 Camry, so we will see. I would rather have a older LS, but I know that upkeep/maintainence will be much higher.

Actually, if I could have my pick now, I would take this one... (someone buy it for me please :))

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-LEXUS-...1QQcmdZViewItem

3495375_10.jpg

Thanks for any advice/information.

I drive the car that you show in your post. Same color, same wheels, same interior with the Nav/Lev package. I too wanted the 16 inch wheels. It is a great car with one or two exceptions...none which are serious. I have had to replace the side mirrors five times. Fortunately they were under warranty. If they weren't, I would have just turned them off and adjusted them. The trunk lift cylinders wore out. Replaced under warranty-no charge. However if they aren't covered you can get them and do it yourself...very easy and much less expensive. I'm not sure what you mean by high milege. I have 82,000 and the car drives like it's just getting broken in. Regular oil changes (Mobile One) since I purchased it new. Had the dealer replace the factory tires with Michelin MXV4 Energy tires and the ride improved greatly. Those wore out at +/- 60K and now have Michelin MXV4 Primacy-also very nice riding and energy saving. Based on the car's computer I typically get +/- 27-28 MPG hwy and have hit 30.5 MPG when kept at 70 mph (tail wind perhaps?)

Good luck

Had the dealer replace the factory tires with Michelin MXV4 Energy tires and the ride improved greatly.

Glad to see someone else who has the dealer to replace the tires with Michelins. Did the same when we bought our LS430 in '02. Used Michelin Sport Pilots.

I spent the last four weeks driving LS 430s in California and here is what I learned. We all know that now is a good time to buy, but I was surprised to find that the real deals to be had out there are from dealers. Private party owners still seem to think they can sell their cars for Blue Book value and this is just not the case. Dealers know that they have to make serious price reductions to move their vehicles. I did my Carfax and KBB research and then called half a dozen dealers. I said I was ready to buy this week and what was their bottom line on the LS 430 they had on their lot. For the ones who were willing to come down, I went I drove the car and then played the dealers off each other. I ended up getting an '05 with 50k miles for 30% under retail blue book. In fact, the car cost less than the "fair" price for private sellers and the car is in immaculate condition. I originally started looking at the 01-03 vehicles but everything was so inexpensive that I was able to swing the newer generation 430. Finance rates are ridiculously low now too. Good luck and have fun shopping!

Yes I too have noticed that the prices for used LS's (and Lexus in general) seem to be the best from dealers; even Lexus dealers! Lex of SM had a couple CPO cars for around $30k; this was unheard of when I bought my LS a couple years ago.

There were a couple minor problems with the '01 LS (groaning steering column, trunk striker plate adjustment, noisy windshield gasket) but nothing serious; my car is a late '01 model and had the steering column and striker plate issues resolved under warranty. I've had no serious problems in the 3 years I've owned it. The engine and transmission at this point I believe to be no only bulletproof but grenade resistant provided maintenance (timing belt) is provided in a timely manner.

It's worth mentioning that the LS430 design is an evolution of the design that stretches back all the way to the original LS; it's supposedly 90% changed from the '00 which was 75% changed from the original design; so I bet there is a fair amount of intellectual carryover.

The LS 460 however is an entirely clean sheet design and this seems to explain the multitude of TSBs that are out for it; I'm not sure I would buy a first year 460 unless the price was really compelling.

That all said the '04+ has some nice features (back up camera, bluetooth, smartaccess) that might make it worth spending the extra bucks; and some people are more partial to the styling. Good luck let us know what you end up with!

Thanks for the reply and info.... when you hit 200K and want to sell it, let me know! :) Thats exactly the year, color and wheels I want, but will also accept a gold color. I normally have to buy what were $50K+ cars new, 15 years later with over 200K before I can afford them, but with the higher mileage (over 100K) 01-02 LS430s hitting the market for $10-13K, its within reach now. My 1988 Mercedes 300SEL stickered for $59K in 1988! In 1988 I was 12 and could only dream of $69K. :D Now 20 years later I can buy it for a small fraction of that and its still a super car that floats down the road and seems like it will last forever. :)

I drive the car that you show in your post. Same color, same wheels, same interior with the Nav/Lev package. I too wanted the 16 inch wheels. It is a great car with one or two exceptions...none which are serious. I have had to replace the side mirrors five times. Fortunately they were under warranty. If they weren't, I would have just turned them off and adjusted them. The trunk lift cylinders wore out. Replaced under warranty-no charge. However if they aren't covered you can get them and do it yourself...very easy and much less expensive. I'm not sure what you mean by high milege. I have 82,000 and the car drives like it's just getting broken in. Regular oil changes (Mobile One) since I purchased it new. Had the dealer replace the factory tires with Michelin MXV4 Energy tires and the ride improved greatly. Those wore out at +/- 60K and now have Michelin MXV4 Primacy-also very nice riding and energy saving. Based on the car's computer I typically get +/- 27-28 MPG hwy and have hit 30.5 MPG when kept at 70 mph (tail wind perhaps?)

Good luck

Ew, I hate that about the steering column (I hate interior noises, but hopefully if I get one it will have been repaired)... seems like I read that the 1998 Toyota Corollas also had that problem initially. I would like an 04+, but I cannot afford that now... I am not even sure if I want to go with an 01-02 now unless I can find one at a very good price. Thats why I also need one that has already had the costly maintainence done.

Thanks again!

Yes I too have noticed that the prices for used LS's (and Lexus in general) seem to be the best from dealers; even Lexus dealers! Lex of SM had a couple CPO cars for around $30k; this was unheard of when I bought my LS a couple years ago.

There were a couple minor problems with the '01 LS (groaning steering column, trunk striker plate adjustment, noisy windshield gasket) but nothing serious; my car is a late '01 model and had the steering column and striker plate issues resolved under warranty. I've had no serious problems in the 3 years I've owned it. The engine and transmission at this point I believe to be no only bulletproof but grenade resistant provided maintenance (timing belt) is provided in a timely manner.

It's worth mentioning that the LS430 design is an evolution of the design that stretches back all the way to the original LS; it's supposedly 90% changed from the '00 which was 75% changed from the original design; so I bet there is a fair amount of intellectual carryover.

The LS 460 however is an entirely clean sheet design and this seems to explain the multitude of TSBs that are out for it; I'm not sure I would buy a first year 460 unless the price was really compelling.

That all said the '04+ has some nice features (back up camera, bluetooth, smartaccess) that might make it worth spending the extra bucks; and some people are more partial to the styling. Good luck let us know what you end up with!