Upgrading Gps Software - Cost?

You can do the upgrade yourself. Buy the dvd, remove the original dvd, and insert the new one, and that will begin the update.

You can usually get the disc for around $250 - $300 from the dealer or from ebay.

Edited by SW03ES
Removed advertising

You can do the upgrade yourself. Buy the dvd, remove the original dvd, and insert the new one, and that will begin the update.

You can usually get the disc for around $250 - $300 from the dealer or from ebay.

Is that $250 for a map upgrade??? How much of that is Lexus Tax?

or you can download the disc and pay nothing... ;-)

after having to create hybrid disks,etc to get around the gps lock out, etc - if i did it again, I would not get the lexus built in GPS, but instead kept my old Garmin.

My suggestion is that you get the base AWD with the HIDs and wood trim, all the other options minus the 18 inch rims over the 17s, are probably not worth it.

To each their own, I've been very happy with my Lexus nav system for going on 6 years now...

Same here...my 99 RX didnt have Nav, the 2003 had it and it became a must-have when we bought an 06.

People gripe about having the features disabled, but from a fit/finish, accuracy, and utility standpoint, I have not seen a better implementation.

Updates are expensive if you actually need one, but there is a pretty active ebay market for older OEM discs if you do not need the latest and greatest.

To each their own, I've been very happy with my Lexus nav system for going on 6 years now...

Curious if you've had to upgrade your nav in those 6 years? Seems to me that a lot has changed in that length of time.. Or do you just live with the random few gaps in accuracy?

Curious if you've had to upgrade your nav in those 6 years? Seems to me that a lot has changed in that length of time.. Or do you just live with the random few gaps in accuracy?

On our 03, we updated our disc with the 2006 data. We didn't feel like we needed to update beyond that.

I think it really varies on how new your area is that you travel in and how up to date you feel like you need to be.

If you know that you are missing data and want to know if the new data is on the latest update before you spend $250-300 of your hard-earned bucks on a disc, check out the link in my sig. It will tell you what changed and you can see for yourself if it has what you are looking for.