Basic Tire Question

nc211

I'm replacing the tires on our Mazda 3 (205/50-17in), as the OEM Goodyear RSA's are nearing the indicator bars. Got 28k miles out of them, which ticked me off until I read most only get about 20k. One of the things I would like to do is smooth out the ride and noise a bit, and I'm confused on the load ratings of tires. The OEM tires have a 88 rating for load, and the vast majority of the replacement options all have 93 ratings. From what tirerack says, the increased load rating can create a more choppy and harsh ride. This was confirmed by the guys at discount tire as well. BUT, when I read the reviews of these tires, everyone says they're far better than the OEM Goodyears that came with the car. They say they ride smoother, are quieter, and just overall better. So, I'm confused??? :blink:

I could be wrong but the 93 rated tires just have harder sidewalls thus the increased choppiness that most would expect. However not all tires are constructed the same way so you can get a higher load rating without necessarily decreasing ride quality.... I'd be more concerned with the treadwear rating though. I was just looking at costco's website and they don't have my Michellin Pilot Exalto's anymore... I got 45+k out of those tires... I hope its just not on the site and I can still get them.

I agree that you should pay more attention to the treadwear ratings. Keep in mind that just about any tire you research and decide to add to your list will be infinitely better than your OEM Goodyears. For the past decade, most of the automakers around the world have been guilty of slapping inferior tires on their vehicles before rolling them into showrooms because of the vast cost savings they can obtain by purchasing lousy tires in huge quantities. That has long been one of my pet peeves - no one deserves to have to pay $45,000 (or even $25,000) for a new vehicle and then be stuck with sorry-assed tires right out of the gate....

Spend some time perusing the tirerack.com website as well as talking with the local tire professionals you trust. You'll quickly find a much better tire in all categories that are important to you in your particular application regardless of the higher load rating that it will invariably come with....

Let us know what you wind up with....

Are you now looking a for set for the winter and and keep a set on there for summer? Or do you want an all season that can do some snow also? If you have a descent set of wheels on the Mazda, then I would recommend getting some winter wheels and outfit them with some good dedicated snow tires, and set the summer tires in that beautiful new garage your gonna have. LOL!! Then in the spring when the snow goes away, switch over to the other set.

I went ahead and got the below Dunlop SP Sport Signature tires. I had Discount Tire price match Tirerack, but they had to order them, so it'll be a week or so before they're put on "i'm on the road next week". From the reviews, specifically the Mazda 3 owners, this one seems like a pretty good bet. The Mazda isn't worthy of really expensive tires, as it's not built to be an ultra quiet luxury cruiser, but a buzzy little toy. RX, I took your advice from a few weeks ago when you posted up about your experience buying tires. I was able to get these tires, plus all the hazard crap, for $600 and change. The car has those TPMS sensors, which I got dinged $50 to have "rebuilt". I choose discount tire because they're also in Chicago, close to the new house.

Smooth, I agree the ultimate route for snow weather is the dedicated snow tires! But in this case, if the weather is that bad "or forecasted to become that way", I'll just use the 4runner....which is on deck for tires as well, which will SUCK!! On that one, it's Michelins all the way, as they last 75,000miles+ on that car, but cost over $200 each "17' wheels". God, I'd hate to have one of those Infiniti FX SUVs, with the 21' standard tires. Plus, I don't think I'd feel too comfortable with traffic all sliding around me in the Mazda. Granted, it's got airbags everywhere, but at the end of the day, it's still a tiny little tin machine, unlike the 4runner which can take a significant hit with no problems.

DJ: That is my understanding too about the 93 rating. Oddly enough though, the OEM tires have the lowest rating of them all, yet everyone says there is no comparison between them and the others with higher ratings. They say the OEM's are the worst, which I certainly agree with RX's idea!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=H