Oil Change

i always get my oil change at the dealer; but since i just lost my job...going to save some money by changing it myself.

i have done some research on how to change the oil for 02 gs300; but there isn't much info out there. can anyone give me some advice? like what oil i should use, and filter. my car is at 81,000miles. and what is Oil drain plug gasket? thanks in advance.

Changing the OIL is FUN and EASY... well its easy... i dunno about fun...

you'll need 6qts of 5w-30

I used synthetic oil... what brand you use is all up to you. (amsoil, mobil one, castrol ect...

The filter type if you're not using an OEM filter is 3614 (Fram) I believe...

You don't need to change the drain plug gasket after every change... its just just a washer...

There are plenty of DIY post around here or on the other lexus forums but I'll just give you a quick run through...

secure the car on jack stands or ramps... make sure your parking brake is engaged firmly if you're gonna use a ramp...

open up the filler cap, slide under the car, remove the drain plug, i think its a 14mm socket, I don't remember, its probably smaller if anything...

let it drain for a few minutes....

unscrew the old filter (counter clockwise) be prepared to see some oil spilling...

dip your finger in some new oil and lube the gasket on the new filter, put the new filter on, tightly, but not too tightly...

clean the drain plug and the area around the drain plug and put the plug back on.. once again tightly, but not too tightly, you really don't want to strip anything.

grab a funnel add 6 quarts assuming you let all the old oil drain out... you can go 5.5 then check the dipstick and add more slowly to suite...

start the car... let it run...

check for leaks...

no leaks... great...

you're good to go.

I could go into more detail and suggest you wait a few minutes so you don't burn yourself on a hot engine... but you should know that... :cheers:

i run 10w-30 in the summer and 5w-30 in the winter. always use full synthetic and a mobile 1 filter! just my $0.02 here

thanks. is synthetic that much better? and do i use high milage oil? by the way, would it be ok if i just put the old oil in the dumpest? or i need to take it somewhere for recycling?

Synthetic doesn't break down nearly as quickly as natural oil. Because of that it can withstand the normal collection of particles that all oil picks up as the engine runs. The problem with regular oil is that as it breaks down, not only do its lubrication properties diminish, it lacks the ability to protect engine parts from the particulates. Here's the thing though, if you change your oil and filter every 3,000 miles faithfully, then even regular oil will not have the chance to break down. There's certainly no harm in using synthetic, but under those circumstances, some consider it overkill.

As for waste oil, any local gas station/garage should take it for free. Don't put it in a dumpster. Good luck with the oil changes and finding a new job.

Matty

you can use the mobil1 high mileage if you want... although i don't use high mileage oil.. some crazy old guy that was rummaging through a dumpster once told me that it just has an additive to swell your seals slightly... similar to some stop leak products...

you can use the mobil1 high mileage if you want... although i don't use high mileage oil.. some crazy old guy that was rummaging through a dumpster once told me that it just has an additive to swell your seals slightly... similar to some stop leak products...

i change mine every 5000 miles or 5 months and most times its still fairly clear. i love the synthetic though! wouldn't use anything but that! most jiffy lubes or oil change places or auto zone will collect your oil so PLEASE dont throw it into a a dumpster!

brian

i change mine every 5000 miles or 5 months and most times its still fairly clear. i love the synthetic though! wouldn't use anything but that! most jiffy lubes or oil change places or auto zone will collect your oil so PLEASE dont throw it into a a dumpster!

brian

Don't you need a very good oil filter if you change them every 5,000 miles? Fram filter probably wont work right? so if i use synthetic i can just change it every 5k?

and i promise wont throw it into the dummpster, or have make my trashman take it...lol!!!

thank matt.

should i use high milage oil or that doesn't matter? my car is at 80k at the moment!

New oils have either reduced or totally eliminated ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl-Dithio-Phosphate) in their formulations. ZDDP is generally recognized to be important for camshaft lubrication, especially in cars with flat-tappet camshafts. Oils listed as "high mileage" formulation generally contain ZDDP. High mileage oils with ZDDP meet the "SF" oil classification used prior to 1988.

Your modern 2003 GS doesn't need ZDDP, regardless of mileage.

brian

Don't you need a very good oil filter if you change them every 5,000 miles? Fram filter probably wont work right? so if i use synthetic i can just change it every 5k?

and i promise wont throw it into the dummpster, or have make my trashman take it...lol!!!

5000miles is actually the manufacturers recommended oil change interval.... as far as the filters go Fram would work fine, so would WIX, if you want to spend more and get Mobil1 Filters go ahead. I use OEM filters.... and definitely listen to Brian, DO NOT THROW OUT THE USED OIL. Take it to be recycled or disposed of properly.

Fram (Allied Signal) filters are Cheap-O. Many models use cardboard internal components and also lack anti-drainback valves. This can cause oil starved starting in some engines. Use OEM Lexus/Toyota, Amsoil or Wix.

Lexus sometimes will occasionally send a coupon for $19.95 oil change. If you trust outside shops, they have coupons too that make changing oil yourself almost not worth it from a purely financial standpoint. You will have to buy the oil drain pan as well, an extra expense but worth it if you continue to change the oil yourself. Any local garage will recycle your used oil for you.

Lexus sometimes will occasionally send a coupon for $19.95 oil change. If you trust outside shops, they have coupons too that make changing oil yourself almost not worth it from a purely financial standpoint. You will have to buy the oil drain pan as well, an extra expense but worth it if you continue to change the oil yourself. Any local garage will recycle your used oil for you.

I always get my oil change at the dealership; anyone out there get them done at the local shops? and never received a coupon from the dealership before... B)

I always get my oil change at the dealership; anyone out there get them done at the local shops? and never received a coupon from the dealership before... B)

i use the mobil 1 filter. not exactly cheap but i LOVE the magnetic core!

brian

I went to auto zone the other day, and the salesman keep telling me synthic is not worth the money. so i just end up getting mobil 1

mobil1 is synthetic..... and don't listen to the guy at autozone... he's not a technician he's a salesmen.

man, what's that i get for been a newbie... ohh well, i learned my lesson

• 4 months later...
i always get my oil change at the dealer; but since i just lost my job...going to save some money by changing it myself.

i have done some research on how to change the oil for 02 gs300; but there isn't much info out there. can anyone give me some advice? like what oil i should use, and filter. my car is at 81,000miles. and what is Oil drain plug gasket? thanks in advance.

my car is an 05 gs430 with 53000 miles and i run royal purple with a k&n gold serius oil filter it is the best so far more power and better flow

I went to auto zone the other day, and the salesman keep telling me synthic is not worth the money. so i just end up getting mobil 1

You didn't mention if it was a Lexus dealer doing your drains. If it was, you'll save 50% by going to Toyota. But if you really want to save some $$ by diy, use dino oil and oem filters. More important than whether to go synthetic or not, is your drain intervals. You can do several hours of reading on this topic by looking up posts by wwest or mburnickas.