225 Or 215 Tire Width On Stock Rims ?

sebastor

I drive a 99 LS and also thought off increasing size tire, however i have to warn you, my brother increased tire size on this infiniti. One day he was driving a long and hit a pot hole while making a right turn at 30/mph. :whistles: Since the tire was higher than recommended it left a nasty ding on the bottom of his right fender and peeled some paint. From this experience i don't recommend anyone every altering any factory wheels or tires. Potholes are extremely common in New York and if you don't look out for them you can really damage your supension and wheels. ;)

Apparently Lexus approves the 215/60 and the 215/65 15 inch tires for the early cars (I have a 92), to replace the stock 205/65-15. I have had a set of 215/60-15 Bridgestones on my car for the last six months. Next week I am trading them in at Costco, where I bought them, to move on to a set of Michelin XGT-H4 215/65-15, as I have found the Bridgestones to be a bit noisy, although great in other respects.

I believe the wheel width is a bit small to allow a good fit with the 225 wide tires. The 16 inch wheels of the later cars is about 1 inch wider than the 15's I think. Also you would have to lower the aspect ratio to keep the same rolling diameter, so a 225/60 or a 225/55 would be in order.

you can even bent or brake you rim if its not an original one. Ls is a heavy car and aftermarket quality rims that are able to hold this kind of load are pretty expensive. wha ti can advice is to get a whole set of OEM rims and tires for 95-2000 LS they will fit perfectly on the gen I LS and you would not worry about those potholes and the rest of the trouble.

Thanx fot input guys.

Anyone tried 225 tire size on first generation (90-93) 15" OEM rims

or knows for a fact it is do-able and knows what side effects if any would

225 tire size inflict ?

I currently run 225/60 r15 on my 91 ls, and the ride is very good. The only thing is my tires are BFGoodrich comp T/A's Z rated tires which have a very stiff sidewall, and they do make a little more noise than your average tire. they also stick like hell and i still haven't been able to make them squill around a corner.

I replaced the factory 15" alloy wheels/tires on my '92 LS400 with '94 LS400 16" alloy wheels and Michelin MXV4+ Energy tires and I have had no problems, the ride and handling is excellent. The '93 & '94 LS400 alloy wheels were the same for both years and will fit the the '90-'92.

I used Yokohoma AVS 225/60-15 on my standard 6 1/2 inch 90 LS rim for a couple of years. If I remember correctly, my old conversion chart from Dunlop said that a 6 1/2 inch rim was well within the acceptable range for a 225/60 tire and that the 225/60-15 size provides the closest speedo accuracy to 205/65-15. The standard 6 1/2 inch rims are perhaps a little smaller than optimum but the 225/60-15 fit just fine with no clearance problem. My 2000 LS came standard with 225/60-16 and its rims are only 7 inches wide.

The 225/60-15's seemed to dramatically improve the braking on the 90 LS but I was not very happy with the handling, noise, increased ride harshness, and tire life. The "breakaway" seemed more abrupt when going (too) fast around a curve. But I think I kept the tire pressure way too high and might have been more satisfied if I had stayed closer to the recommended 30 psi.

You might try giving Tire Rack a call and confirm which is the best non-standard tire size...

I like a littl wider tire and will probably go with the 225/60HR-15 tires when I upgrade. Since I don't usually go much over 100, I think they will give me closer to what I like. I might go with V rated, but not if they cost twice as much as I'd probably upgrade riim size at that point.

thanx guys. I have also called discout tire and they have confirmed that it will not be a problem

to put 225-60-15 on stock rims. I have really only two choices for tires

Yokohama YK420

http://discounttire.com/dtc/findTireDetail...CodeIndex=43438

OR

Michelin Pilot XGT H4

http://discounttire.com/dtc/findTireDetail...CodeIndex=35845

Yokohama is according to opinions of people on epinions.com quiter, good ride comfort but some

say it floats on highways and sidewall bend easily, good long wear

4 tires cost = $356

http://www.epinions.com/Yokohama_YK420_Pas...isplay_~reviews

Michelin is said it's stiffer side wall, good traction, low noice (notice yoko is better), good handling might be more siffer and compromise ride comfort for handling

4 tires cost = $512

http://www.epinions.com/auto-Tires-All-Mic...isplay_~reviews

Help me guys in the choice. I leaning towards yokos for softer ride and quiter but

i'm affraid like one guy said that on highway it floats instead of good handling.

In michelins i get good handling but I am affraid of stiff ride, noisy tires.

WHAT YOU GUYS THINK ?

Did you read my post earlier? I have ordered XGT H4's for my Lexus. I am getting them because I have a set of 245-50/16's XGT H4's on my other car, and they are excellent. Good choice.