2006 Rx400h

I am the new owner of a 2006 Lexus RX400h...which I am in love with by the way. I wanted to know a few things about my navigation/GPS.

First...I have version 4.02 currently installed....I would like to upgrade to version 7.1. Do I need to stick with the same generation? I've been reading a lot about how some Gen 4 and 5 models are the same or will use the same CD's?

Second...when I do get the new upgrade how do I install it? Where is the CD drive located in my 2006 RX400h? Some have told me under the seat, some one told me in the back door panel? I've looked in the manual with no luck. Do I have to remove the panel and install it?

Any help and guidance on this matter would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!!!

I am the new owner of a 2006 Lexus RX400h...which I am in love with by the way. I wanted to know a few things about my navigation/GPS.

First...I have version 4.02 currently installed....I would like to upgrade to version 7.1. Do I need to stick with the same generation? I've been reading a lot about how some Gen 4 and 5 models are the same or will use the same CD's?

Second...when I do get the new upgrade how do I install it? Where is the CD drive located in my 2006 RX400h? Some have told me under the seat, some one told me in the back door panel? I've looked in the manual with no luck. Do I have to remove the panel and install it?

Thanks!!!

Ours is a 2006 too, but we bought our used 400h in '06. Didn't yours come w/ the manual? (when all else fails, read the directions :P ) You model's DVD holder may be different than some others because (I believe) differing options (like rear headrest DVD screens) means the player may be located in varying spots. Ours is in the lower rear compartment, under the carpet, to the right. I'd start there.

When you upgrade to the new version you won't be able to use the NAV while the car is moving.

Almost. You'll be able to use the NAV but won't be able to change/add a new destination via the maintenance override menu while the car is moving. If you plan on upgrading to 7.1(8.1 is due out next month by the way) you will need the disc made for Generation 4 nav systems. As far as I know, you can't interchange Gen. 4 & 5 discs. The 2006 400h is Gen. 4 and that is unchangeable without major hardware changes. If you decide to upgrade the nav database beyond 5.1, you will forever lose the ability to change the destination while driving. Even Lockpick will not change that reality if you update to 7.1 or greater on a Gen. 4 Lexus NAV system.

I am very disappointed in Lexus's wanting to charge the customer for upgrading their navigation system. I call them to upgrade because the navigation systems do not have some street information. I was informed that the cost to the customer to upgrade was over $250.

I know if I owned another navigation system the upgrades and downloads are free.

Now my RX400H navigation system is not up to date and I am being held hostage to being a good Lexus customer. This is a good reason why car dealers are in such bad shape. I am a loyal service customer and have Lexus service my car. I could definitely save money going somewhere else.

Please join me in expressing this concern to Lexus that they should provide navigation updates to their customer at no charge, just as long as you are still under warranty, and not be the nickel and dime the customer car dealer

Frank Ballew

Thanks!!!

I am very disappointed in Lexus's wanting to charge the customer for upgrading their navigation system. I call them to upgrade because the navigation systems do not have some street information. I was informed that the cost to the customer to upgrade was over $250.

I know if I owned another navigation system the upgrades and downloads are free.

Now my RX400H navigation system is not up to date and I am being held hostage to being a good Lexus customer. This is a good reason why car dealers are in such bad shape. I am a loyal service customer and have Lexus service my car. I could definitely save money going somewhere else.

Please join me in expressing this concern to Lexus that they should provide navigation updates to their customer at no charge, just as long as you are still under warranty, and not be the nickel and dime the customer car dealer

Frank Ballew

PM sent

I am just as disapointed with the same answer from Lexus.. I have an '06 400h and they said that NO update is available.. Then they said it was well over $350.. So I was/am confused if there is or isn't an update! My friend has an LX470 and they updated his for free!!! I was shocked!

So Lexus.. Get it together!!

I made the hybrid disc, from a 6.1 and a 7.1 iso that I found on the net. The hybrid discs work, the problem with both discs though, is that I can't choose map locations. Yes, the gen 4 7.1 over-ride will not work, that is a fact. But the 6.1 works with the over ride.

Coastal Tech confirmed, that if you upgrade to 7.1 you will lose the over ride of the lock pick.

But, on a side note, anybody who has burned the hybrid disc, have they experienced to loss of the map location choosing capability?

Cheers,

MadloR

• 1 month later...

Thanks!!!

Hey, I had this same issue finding my Nav drive.

As someone else posted, look in the tool compartment, but don't be stupid like me and remove the tool compartment bin, just look for the lil rectangle-shaped door in the right side of the bin. Use a flashlight and it will be obvious. Unclip the door and behold, the dvd player is there in all its' glory.

To get the disk out, there is a button on the player on the left side if you were looking straight at it. Push the button and slide it over and the Nav DVD will be ejected into your hand.

Important safety tip: when reinstalling the disk, be sure to get it into the slot and not on to the top of the player, otherwise you may have to remove the bin to retreive it...don't ask me how I know :blushing:

HTH,

~Brian

• 1 month later...
I made the hybrid disc, from a 6.1 and a 7.1 iso that I found on the net. The hybrid discs work, the problem with both discs though, is that I can't choose map locations. Yes, the gen 4 7.1 over-ride will not work, that is a fact. But the 6.1 works with the over ride.

Coastal Tech confirmed, that if you upgrade to 7.1 you will lose the over ride of the lock pick.

But, on a side note, anybody who has burned the hybrid disc, have they experienced to loss of the map location choosing capability?

Cheers,

MadloR

Same thing here, I download the 6.1 from net and loss the ability to choose map location.

Cheers,

MadloR

Same thing here, I download the 6.1 from net and loss the ability to choose map location.

This indicates one of two things:

1. You have downloaded one of the ISO's that are known to be bad rips.

or

2. You have done a bad burn due to sub-standard media (basically anything other than Verbatim DVD+R DL), mediocre burner or some other procedural foible.

Personally, I suspect the bad ISO.

Can you guys tell me where you downloaded these upgrades from? I found the gen 4 7.1 upgrade on Ebay, but its' $139. Still better than the dealer though.

Not trying to be the moral police or anything, but downloading software from the internet is bad, mmmkay? Even if it weren't illegal, many of the downloads are faulty and don't work correctly, as you can see here.

If you wait long enough, you will find an OEM disc on ebay cheaper than that. Also, don't be afraid to check your local craigslist. Just know that if you update to 6.1 or higher you will lose the ability to bypass the lockout while moving. On your Gen 4 system, the 5.1/6.1 hybrid disc is the best you can do in terms of retaining your bypass and updating to semi-current data.

Can you guys tell me where you downloaded these upgrades from? I found the gen 4 7.1 upgrade on Ebay, but its' $139. Still better than the dealer though.

Not trying to be the moral police or anything, but downloading software from the internet is bad, mmmkay? Even if it weren't illegal, many of the downloads are faulty and don't work correctly, as you can see here.

I agree, beside, nothing on the net seems to work, I've burnt more than 30 coasters in the past few days... that translate to 100 bucks and lot of time down to the drain. So.. get it on eBay and save yourself time and money!!