$599. For 30 K Service?

I'm due for my 30K service, the first "Big one". I was told it would be $599 minus my many points for using the Lexus card for everything and paying at the end of the month...but even with the deduction of the use of their credit card...sheeesh, that's a lot of mullah, dinero, "Lexus Tea"... Rey in L.A.

Rey,

Have you been changing the air and cabin filters? If so, the only real "service" they would perform at 30K is flushing the brake fluid. Everything else (if your oil air air filters are regularly changed) is check this and check that. At least that's what I gather from reading the owner's manual.

Dave

999 is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of line for the 30k service, good lord. I think I paid $600 maybe.

$999 is more like the 90k service...

I'd try another dealer.

No, you read that wrong, I wrote $599!...so you were also charged that much...hmmm...well, it's a lot but I really like this dealership and I love keeping my Princess 100%... I'll be looking for more responses to this...Rey

Rey,

Have you been changing the air and cabin filters? If so, the only real "service" they would perform at 30K is flushing the brake fluid. Everything else (if your oil air air filters are regularly changed) is check this and check that. At least that's what I gather from reading the owner's manual.

Dave

I changed the cabin filter a few months ago...I got one that was gray? Sound familiar? It was supposed to be great...anyway, it sounds like $599 is a lot but then that's what SW03ES paid....

Rey,

Dave

That's right. Fact is, even the brake fluid is manufactured to easily last 3X longer than "dealer recomendations". But heck, the dealer needs to send their kids to college too :P I posted a link not too long ago. (sigh) I'll try & find it ... again.

my dealer in the pacific northwest wanted $450 for the 30K. When i told them i only wanted work done that toyota recommends to keep the warranty in effect they skipped the brake flush (i think 30K is way to early for that) and the fuel injector cleaning, mine work fine and i got it done for $179.00 including their $42.00 cabin filter. They have been fair since i use them for lube jobs and developed a $75.00 lube price if i dont rotate tires or have the car washed. I recently complained about them using a cheaper chevron oil instead of the usual castrol synthetic blend, and the service manager sent someone to the auto parts store got my castrol, and drained out the new oil and replaced it. They do try at this dealership.

I was confused because you said $599 in the subject, but $999 in the body of the post.

If its the prepackaged 30k service, I'd say $599 is reasonable at the Lexus dealer.

If you enjoy having it serviced at the dealer then thats what I would do. I always had the dealer service my car until my service advisor left and I found an independent shop. If I bought a new one...I'd probably find another service advisor at the dealer. I enjoy using the dealer too.

I was confused because you said $599 in the subject, but $999 in the body of the post.

If its the prepackaged 30k service, I'd say $599 is reasonable at the Lexus dealer.

. . . . snip

Glad you said reasonable, 'at the lexus dealer'. Reasonable turns on what you want to spend :P

Ok, here's the link again ... this is from a Toyota certified hybrid tech:

http://priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenan...-you-don-t.html

Mind you, this is what your rig NEEDS ... it's not want Lexus WANTS, because their wants are mainly your money. Follow the NEEDS, and there can be no issue upon warranty claim. As previously said, you can always spend more money ... double, triple or higher ... and the Lexus service people DO need to send their kids to college. :D

For me, this means over the last 4 years, I've had to spend for 2 alignments ($250 total) 8 oil changes ($176.50 total) and in 25K miles, I'll have to spend $12 to self install a PCV valve. The RX's HSD system costs a bit more up front, but needs WAY less maintenance then our previous Range Rover. Money in our pockets!

Glad you said reasonable, 'at the lexus dealer'. Reasonable turns on what you want to spend :P

Oh yeah, reasonable...at the Lexus dealer!

http://priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenan...-you-don-t.html

Mind you, this is what your rig NEEDS ... it's not want Lexus WANTS, because their wants are mainly your money. Follow the NEEDS, and there can be no issue upon warranty claim. As previously said, you can always spend more money ... double, triple or higher ... and the Lexus service people DO need to send their kids to college. :D

This is an excellent point, you do have to look at what the dealer does vs what it says to do in the maintenance schedule that comes with the car. Oftentimes dealers add things into these pre-priced packages and you can do better if you just list whats in the maintenance schedule and do that.

My dealer's packages were always exactly what was in the maintenance schedule save they reccomended a tranny flush at 30k based on their experiences with ES300 transmissions which I was happy to heed. BUT all dealers aren't like that...

If you enjoy having it serviced at the dealer then thats what I would do. I always had the dealer service my car until my service advisor left and I found an independent shop. If I bought a new one...I'd probably find another service advisor at the dealer. I enjoy using the dealer too.

No biggie but I don't see $999 anywhere...it must be something that isn't registering on my computer...the title says $599 and when I started the writing on the post it's $599...anyway, it turned out that the $599 was the initial quote that I got when I agreed and dropped it off. Then I got about $147 off for the points earned from using the Lexus credit card so the actual cost before the deduction was $547 so the whole thing ended up being about $400..... Thanks for all of the responses, as per usual. I love you guys! Rey

Maybe it was just me lol, it says $599 now too.

Its all that tequila....

That's funny Steve!...Well, I don't drink so this is another reason not to! The numbers apparently get scrambled in your head! Take care my friend and thanks for the input. Anyway, I still think it was a lot but that's life. I do like that they really keep my "Princess" running like a top. I again had the 2008 RX350 loaner and it is really powerful from stop! It is amazing compared to the soft pull of my 400h. BUT then after that my car feels much better. The CVT is just so nice and I accelerate so much faster at higher speeds. But, the initial pull of the 350 is awesome. Rey