Help I Just Got A To Do List From My Mechanic!

The Kid

hey I just came from my mechanic... I asked him to give me a run down of what I might need to get done on my LS...

I want to know

A) whats the prices on these items

B) which parts should I go oem and which ones I should do aftermarket OR should i get some used parts from other LS400s.

I need to be as cost efficient as possible.

1.front and rear upper contol arms.

2.differential bushings

3.2 rear axles

4. rear knuckle bushings

5. tune up

6. timing belt and water pump soon

he said i should do the tune up first. then timing belt

any suggestions? some of these things sound expensive.

my idle is also VERRY low, when I shut off my AC my rpms are really low and sometimes the car shuts off, whats that all about?

my idle is always at about the second notch which i guess is about 400, thats not good, sometimes when i put the car in neutral or park, it gets down to less than 200, i need a fix for this, i forgot to mention it to my mechanic.

This is a lot of stuff here! What year and what mileage? The idle is likely the ICV clogged. Can be cleaned or replaced. Without knowing the shop, the rest could easily be "make work". If you're not a diy then get another estimate. As I've mentioned before, here in Toronto, we have the APA that will recommend a diagnostic shop that specializes in testing only and does no repairs. They will give you a full report on your car for about $140. The AAA must have a similar service. It would be worth your money to go to such a shop.

well i trust my mechanic because we have been dealing with him for years, he used to work for lexus as a mechanic then decided to open up his own shop, so he specializes on lexus

my rear makes a clicking sound when you accelerate, at first he thought it was calipers but when he put it on the lift, he saw that it was the rear axle,

I knew about the tune up and the timing belt service

and he mentioned the control arms a while back, he hardly charges us much on labor because we are like family, but the parts cost is the problem

well i trust my mechanic because we have been dealing with him for years, he used to work for lexus as a mechanic then decided to open up his own shop, so he specializes on lexus

my rear makes a clicking sound when you accelerate, at first he thought it was calipers but when he put it on the lift, he saw that it was the rear axle,

I knew about the tune up and the timing belt service

and he mentioned the control arms a while back, he hardly charges us much on labor because we are like family, but the parts cost is the problem

Well it's good for you that "we are like family". If you trust him and he's a Lex tech, he should be able to recommend which way to go with the parts and also get you a mechanic's discount which is usually around 15%. :cheers:

please do that if you can, thanks,

what do you guys think I should do first? my mechanic says if I cant afford all of that, just fix the real majors like timing belt and the tune up,

all the clinging and clanking noises should be left for last

As I said before, if you trust you "family" mechanic, go with his suggestions. :cheers:

I agree with him that doing the TB if it's due would be the first item on the list. And as Blayd says, a lot of the suspension parts can be pricey. Get your tech to price everything out for you and assign a priority to each item. This way you can decide from an informed perspective. Always take advantage of an inside connection. On this forum, you're likely to get varying opinions. Who ya gonna trust???

• 2 weeks later...