How Long Does An Average Tranny Last?

Ive had my gs3 for about 1 1/2 years now and previously owned a 400whp dsm. I have to drive fast always but im scared for my tranny whats the average trans last more or less, and is it wise to use the up/down shifter on the steering wheel? I service the tranny and put lucas in it every 30,000 and use strictly mobile 1 syn 15000 with lucas additive. Any suggestions help thanks.

And if u stay on top of changing the trans frluid, (just ask when u have the oil changed if it looks like it should) and maybe install a trans oil cooler (they arent that much) its entirely possible for it to outlast the engine.

An engine & tranny should last the life of the car with proper maintenance. I've used both Mobil 1 & Amsoil ATF and found that the Amsoil is the better performing ATF with much better shift qualities......it's compatible with both Dexron II/III & Toyota Type IV fluids. I would not use any additional additives if your already using synthetic fluid however.

More info here...

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

:cheers:

And if u stay on top of changing the trans frluid, (just ask when u have the oil changed if it looks like it should) and maybe install a trans oil cooler (they arent that much) its entirely possible for it to outlast the engine.

Yes, a tranny cooler will decrease the temp by an average of 10 degrees which will extend the life of the fluid and tranny, I installed a cooler 3 years ago and am very pleased.

I beleive you my grandfather is swearing by the stuff... On the ams oil website link this is what it says,

SERVICE LIFE

AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for use up to 50,000 miles under severe service* and up to 100,000 miles under normal service* or according to the vehicle manufacturer recommended intervals, whichever is longer. AMSOIL recommends thoroughly draining the transmission and flushing with new AMSOIL ATF to achieve a minimum 90% purity of new transmission fluid. Drain intervals may be extended further with oil analysis.

seems like im going to have to buy alot to flush it with ams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!