Restoring (or Reviving?) Black Lexus Paint?

Recently, I detailed a friend's car (96 GS300) using the same simple procedure I use on mine (a '95 GS) which was claying, swirl remover, polish, and waxing (porter cable 7424 was used with swirl remover, and polishing). The car looked good, but I noticed the paint on the 96 was a bit more dull and not as glossy. I assume this is from continuous improper paint care. Is there anything that can be done to restore the gloss in the paint?

I'm thinking some compounding with a rotary, perhaps? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

What type of swirl remover did you use and what type of pads?

What you're probably looking at is oxidation, and oxidation is something that an abrasive swirl remover is going to have a hard time removing. Something like Klasse All in One or Poorboys Pro Polish are great on oxidation. On top of that a "swirl remover" like Meguiars #9 or #82 or 3M SMR for Dark or Light cars isn't very abrasive. Generally I use those products as either finishing step products or not at all when removing swirls. You might want to look towards something like Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish or the 3M Perfect It line of abrasive polishes. I have great luck with DACP and 3M PI-III-MG.

Here's what I would do.

Wash

Clay

AIO or PPP with a polishing pad

DACP with a Yellow pad

3M PI-III with a white pad

PPP (If you choose it) with a white pad

Wax.

Appreciate the reply, SW.

I used the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze s. remover, with a yellow cutting pad.

I'm gonna give the Poorboys and the 3M Perfect it polish a try. I was also looking at the blackfire products... What's your opinion them? I was thinking of using a BF sealant to finish it off(and a carnuba wax on top of that).

Thanks again.

Yeah the Meguiars swirl remover is very mild. I think you would also do well to order the DACP also as you might now or down the line need the extra bite.

I've never used Blackfire but I've heard its an excellent product, carnuaba look that is quite durable. Poorboys EX is an excellent product as well.

The hard part is getting it back, but once you do then regular maintenance is pretty easy. The more you keep up with it the easier it is to keep it looking better than new ('cuz you know how many swirls those dealer jocky's add to the paint)

('cuz you know how many swirls those dealer jocky's add to the paint)

That's the truth. I've witnessed it myself how the guys at dealers handle the cars (brand new ones, even). The sad part is, a lot of the customers either don't notice the swirls or simply dont care, since they see it as "If the car shines, it must be well done".

The DO NOT WASH sign is a great idea. I took my spotlessly clean, waxed to the hilt Lexus into the dealer for something and they ran it thru their car wash. I couldn't believe it! The only reason I was there was because the idiots left the under engine splash pan off while doing an oil change I didn't request. I had just changed my oil three days earlier. $25 of synthetic oil and a $10 filter dumped away. Off course they put in regular oil so I then had to change the oil and filter again.

I lost my faith in the dealer. They acted like I was from frigging Mars when I complained about the splash pan being left off.

I have a good dealer and a good service guy, but Lexus service isn't across the board as great as everyone thinks it is. The dealerships are just as variable as any other carmaker.

The guys at my dealer are real nice, nice loaners (ESs, RXs and ISs) theres a nice inside area you pull into so you dont have to transfer stuff to the loaner in the rain. Nice office where every servicewriter has his own office with a guest chair. Reasonable labor rates, $89 an hour is VERY low for a Lexus dealer. Parts are astronomical like everywhere so I take my own oil and such. They dont mind at all. I only had to correct them one time about the wash, and I caught them before they washed it.

A friend of mine has a Honda S2000 and uses a product by the name of ZANO. I used it on my blk SC400 and it worked really well. Be sure to clay bar the car first. Unfortunately, it doesn't last forever, but the luster is there. Hope this helps.