97' Leaky Window Seals

You may have already talked about leaky window seals before, but I couldn't find anything? My 97', due to the way the window's were designed(?), leak when I wash it. I'm not sure if it's due to aged rubber seals, or if it's a design flaw. Does anyone know if there is a fix, or is something to live with? It doesn't look like a real tight fit against the window, so I don't think a rubber dressing would help? Any of you guys replaced the rubber yet? :blink:

The window glass can be adjusted to fit more tightly against the rubber seal. I would try this fix before changing the seal, unless the rubber is all dried up. A spray coating of silicon helps keep the rubber seal from drying up. Yes, it is a design flaw that continued from the '92 to '01 ES's. They changed this design starting with the '02 ES.

My 97 also does this when I go to car washes with heavy power. When I go to the new Holiday car wash near my house, however, I have no problems. But the Conoco car wash will push a very slight mist into my car through the window. As amf1932 said, it was a design flaw... I am really glad to hear that they changed it, although I really liked the frameless window. Lexus is good about fixing problems!

The door panel has to be removed to make this adjustment. I can't tell you what bolts have to be loosened to change the angle of the window glass, but I'm sure that any Lexus dealer can tell you this.

I had mine adjuseted on the drivers side for 150 and they ended up making it worse.

The easiest and best fix as i mentioned in the faq is to use silicone spray or the meguires tire endurance on all the sunroof doors and trunk seals to seal all in and out air traffic

I've got the same problem on my 2000. I ordered gummipfledge (sp) in hopes that it might solve this problem, as well as some slight wind noise. Is silicone spray or Tire Endurance a better solution, or just the same thing with a different name?

Has anyone changed out their weather stripping before? Is this a complicated task? I just can't take the wistling anymore, and I'm tired of fighting with the Endourance(which is awesome for the tires!) and silicon spray which have helped only a little. I'm confident new stripping will help because my current stripping is caved in in several places. I don't think my windows are out of alignment because they nearly touch the car, and if the stripping doesn't help, I'll just let the dealer do it...they said it would cost less than $150 depending on how long it actually takes them to do the adjustments.

:cheers:

Does anyone know anything about the black bars that are in between the front and rear doors? What is that called? I am talking about the bar between the front driver door and the rear left door, it is painted black. Well, mine is starting to wear off. Should I just scratch the rest of it off (really do NOT want to do that) or re-do it? Is it expensive? It just looks kinda tacky.

I also repalced my weather stripping on my 94 a few yeasr ago it had no normal signs of problems but i thought it would help, It didn;t at all.

It wasn;t that expensive maybe 200 for both sides of the car.

The bar in between the doors is called the b pillar , It is part of the weather strip . You can scrape the rest off if you want as it is only a thin strip bettween them. If you replace the strip it comes with a new painted peice.

If I do scrape off the little paint black shiny paint that is left, what should I use that will not harm the car? Should I use a paint scraper blade like they use on glass windows to get paint off? Do you know how much approx. it is to get new B Pillars that will have the shiny black to them again, or the paint for them? Thanks!!!

I think they should be re-painted. It definitely would be a lot cheaper and they'll once again look like new. If you're not familiar with doing this I would check with a local body shop......it's no big deal. ;)

Don't scrap it off! Just leave it until you can take it to a body shop to have them re-clear it with clearcoat. Let them sand it down, and refinish it with a high quality clear so it doesn't happen again. It's not that expensive, and should only take the better part of a day to do it. Just get a couple of quotes from local shop.

P.S.

I also tried the Meguires Enduralast, and am very pleased with the way it stays on, and makes the seal feel new, and protected from the elements. It seems like it may prevent more corrosion in the future, but not much for helping the leaks! I'll just have to be careful not to spray the carwash nozzle too close to the windows! Thanks for the input!