How The %^$#%! Do You Remove/replace Front Headlight Units?

914lps

I have used the search fuction oin this forum, and on google. No help. I looked at LexLS's site, close, but no help. My pasanger side headlight is out. I bought a set of Silverstar ultra's to put in. But I can not figre out how to replace them. I removed a small sceww, and two 10mm bolts. Headlamp assymbaly is now totally loose. But it will not pull out. O have tried pulling up, side to side, and so on. Only comes a small way out on the side by the radeator. Other side seems to hag up on the parking lamp. I can pull apart and get a gap. But it still will not come out. I feel if I pull any harder I will brack something........ I did one screww and two bolts on each side. What did I miss???

Help please. Need to hit the road later tonight.

Be careful removing the sidelight mounting bracket. It gets dry rotted over time and can easily crack.

That side light is very difficult to remove. So difficult, I just remove the battery and change the bulbs from under the hood. I think it is much easier that way.

Thank you all. I did atempt this late last night. What a pain in the "A".......

After you remove the one small screw, there is more to it then just pulling it out. There is a "pin" on the back of the lens that goes onto a fitting on the housing. You need to pull it hard enough to pull the pin out of the socket, but not brake the pin off the back of the lens.

I did the drivers side first. Broke the dam pin. Good thing for JB Weld.... On the passanger side I pulled it out just enough to look in and see the socket (it's a bright yellow). I hit it with some WD 40. Then kind of pulled and winggiled and turned back and forth. That one came out fine.

On putting back togeather I put a small amount of grease on the pin. It should not hurt anything, and may help if I have to pull again to fix the lights or get to the hidden A/C parts.

On putting back togeather I put a small amount of grease on the pin. It should not hurt anything, and may help if I have to pull again to fix the lights or get to the hidden A/C parts.

And you may have to go back in before long. Don't think the Silverstars last nearly as long as oem.

At least you'll know exactly how to do it next time. :cheers:

And you may have to go back in before long. Don't think the Silverstars last nearly as long as oem.

At least you'll know exactly how to do it next time.:cheers:

Agreed on the Silverstar life vs. OEM. However, I'm having much better luck with the Silverstar Ultra in terms of longer life over the regular Silverstar.