Used 2001 Is300 - Good Deal...

kolya3

Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 is300 with 27,500K miles on it for $22K. There is a minor dent in the rear bumper (not a problem for me), the brakes need to be changed immediately (they are at 5%) and maybe a tire rotation/alignment.

This sounds like a fair deal to me but the fact that the guy wore down the breaks to 5% in 3 years tells me the car has been driven too hard. He admits to driving it hard but given the amount of breaks left, I'd say it was a bit "too hard".

My question for you guys is: do you think that given the circumstances $22K is a fair deal? Is it a good deal?

Thanks.

N.

Considering that I live in California and comparable cars in my neighborhood are going for around $23K, that would indicate that it's a good deal though...right?

If you guys think it's a bad deal, can you point me in the direction of a better one?

Thanks!

I feel that it is an ok deal, yeah the car's trade in value at excelent is like 20,900 dollars, but you figure that the retail price is like 25k, so I think it is ok, check out kbb.com. Put in good for the condition, and see what you get for both trade in value, and retail value.

comparable cars dont always have comparable values. the car isnt worth that much u can defenetely find a better one. dont waste ur time on this one and have a lil patience when lookin for a car. u may regret later one.

but if u really dont have any patience and u just "WANT A CAR RIGHT NOW"..then......ask him if he takes 20. i wouldnt pay more then that. and just to help u out, here is a tip, Take the car to a lexus dealership and have em do a complete check includin body and engine. They will be able to tell u about everysingle piece that needs to be repaired or replaced. thats how u can really get to know a lotttt more about the car then just lookin at it and information provided by the seller. tell the seller that u will buy the car if there arent too many problems with it and u'll also pay for the diagnostic lexus performs on ur car (around $200 or so),......however, if there toooo many problems with the car, then u wont buy it and HE will have to pay for the lexus diagnostic check.

u can also use all those problems lexus discovers as a bargain to make a good deal and lexus will also tell u the cost of repair. so use it for ur benefit.

hope that helped. :cheers:

Agree with Hustler on this one. Take the car to a Lexus dealer, find out what's wrong and use it to negotiate. Brakes gone at the mileage stated would raise some questions on how the car was driven and who's to say there aren't other mechanicals that may be suffering due to the current owner's use. $20k+ is a lot of money - protect yourself by spending a little bit and finding out what's really going on with this one.

Personally, I'd stay away from used cars, especially at this price level. Even though IS300's are great cars, if you can't afford the extra $$$ for a new one, consider looking at some of your other options in your price range, you may be surprised at what you can get for your money. Used cars usually have unforseen problems, and rarely do you get lucky and get a granny-mobile that's well taken care of. The guy even told you he drives it hard, meaning there's a high probability he didn't take very good care of it either (oil, maintenance, brakes, tires, etc.). Just my 2 cents :).

IS300 is definitely a great car....I bought my '01 IS300 5 months ago and I just love it....I paid under $20,000 for a car in excellent condition with 35K miles on it.....why don't you check kbb.com and edmunds.com....also take the car to a lexus dealer and ask him for his recommendation.....

Just to give you an idea....I just bought a used 2002 5spd IS300 with 14k miles on it. Its FULLY loaded with the navi, full leather, heated seats, chrome wheels, blah blah blah. Anyhow...I paid $24,850 and I think I got a slammin deal....bought it from a local dealer in town.....

Make sure you do a Carfax on a used car just to be on a safe side....just my .02 cents....