Dealer Tricks

I took my 08 RX350 to Lexus of Roseville, California for the free 5000 mile service on last Friday on my way to Reno. The service advisor told me that the oil and filter would be changed, the tires would be rotated and belts and hoses checked. When I got to Reno I looked at the wheels and noticed that the fronts were still very dirty on the inside like the fronts always are. I started looking at the tires and noticed that the rears still had the little excess pieces of rubber from when they are new on the edge of the tire. It was clear to me that these were not the tires that had been on the front or they would have been edge worn from turning like the ones that are still on the front. I called the service advisor and played phone tag all day till she finally got me this afternoon. I explained what I had seen and was put on hold, she never came back the service manager did. I explained again what I had noticed and he told me that they were rotated. We had a little discussion and he never would admit that it might have happened or even went to check with the person that was to have done the work. He wanted me to bring it back and show him however I told him I would not be taking a day off of work and driving over 50 miles so I could prove it to him. I also told him I had doubts as to weather the oil and filter had been changed. He assured me that they were, but how do I know for sure. He offered to pay for someone to rotate the tires for me locally but I told him I would do it myself that way I know it will be done. I also told him I will no longer be a customer at Lexus of Roseville.

Sorry for the rant but lenore had warned about this dealers service dept and I just wanted to back him up that they are not to be trusted. Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me.

Jeff

I won't be bringing it back to them. Also on the RX350 you can't mark the filter it is a cartridge. The service manager also told me that the guy must have rotated the tires because he had to have the wheels off to check the brakes. Wrong they must not have been checked either.

Jeff

I took my 08 RX350 to Lexus of Roseville, California for the free 5000 mile service FREE 5000 MILE SERVICE on last Friday on my way to Reno. The service advisor told me that the oil and filter would be changed, the tires would be rotated and belts and hoses checked. When I got to Reno I looked at the wheels and noticed that the fronts were still very dirty on the inside like the fronts always are. I started looking at the tires and noticed that the rears still had the little excess pieces of rubber from when they are new on the edge of the tire. It was clear to me that these were not the tires that had been on the front or they would have been edge worn from turning like the ones that are still on the front. I called the service advisor and played phone tag all day till she finally got me this afternoon. I explained what I had seen and was put on hold, she never came back the service manager did. I explained again what I had noticed and he told me that they were rotated. We had a little discussion and he never would admit that it might have happened or even went to check with the person that was to have done the work. He wanted me to bring it back and show him however I told him I would not be taking a day off of work and driving over 50 miles so I could prove it to him. I also told him I had doubts as to weather the oil and filter had been changed. He assured me that they were, but how do I know for sure. He offered to pay for someone to rotate the tires for me locally but I told him I would do it myself that way I know it will be done. I also told him I will no longer be a customer at Lexus of Roseville.

Sorry for the rant but lenore had warned about this dealers service dept and I just wanted to back him up that they are not to be trusted. Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me.

Jeff

Dealer tricks....INDEED...!!!

The more important one is that you have now been CONNED into believing you need to have your car serviced every 5,000 miles even though the factory says otherwise. According to Porsche the oil/filter change for my '01 911/996 is at 15,000 miles.

FREE 5,000 mile service...??

Were I the service manager I would wipe the oil filter clean and call it a GOOD day.

Always, ALWAYS, look a gift horse in the mouth...!!

I won't be bringing it back to them. Also on the RX350 you can't mark the filter it is a cartridge. The service manager also told me that the guy must have rotated the tires because he had to have the wheels off to check the brakes. Wrong they must not have been checked either.

Jeff

"check the brakes.."

Absent a specific owner complaint it would take an idiot to expend the shop labor time to inspect the brakes at only 5,000 miles.

Considering the expertise (McD "flipper" graduates) the dealer uses for these FREE ROUTINE maintainance tasks you should consider yourself lucky the wheels/tires weren't rotated and then one fell off as you drove away.

I intend to mark my tires for the complimentary first service, and check them before leaving the lot. It's unfortunate that you had such a lousy experience. Lexus has built a reputation for customer service which, unfortunately, did not shine through on my purchase experience.

The more important one is that you have now been CONNED into believing you need to have your car serviced every 5,000 miles even though the factory says otherwise. According to Porsche the oil/filter change for my '01 911/996 is at 15,000 miles.

Your 911 motor has about 4X the amount of oil in it than the RX350 motor. That goes a long way to explaining the extended drain intervals.

I intend to mark my tires for the complimentary first service, and check them before leaving the lot. It's unfortunate that you had such a lousy experience. Lexus has built a reputation for customer service which, unfortunately, did not shine through on my purchase experience.

Your 911 motor has about 4X the amount of oil in it than the RX350 motor. That goes a long way to explaining the extended drain intervals.

My '01 AWD RX300 takes 5.3 qts for an oil change, the 911 requires 12 qts.

Doesn't the factory recommend 7500 miles between oil changes for the newer RX...??

I took my 08 RX350 to Lexus of Roseville, California for the free 5000 mile service on last Friday on my way to Reno. The service advisor told me that the oil and filter would be changed, the tires would be rotated and belts and hoses checked. When I got to Reno I looked at the wheels and noticed that the fronts were still very dirty on the inside like the fronts always are. I started looking at the tires and noticed that the rears still had the little excess pieces of rubber from when they are new on the edge of the tire. It was clear to me that these were not the tires that had been on the front or they would have been edge worn from turning like the ones that are still on the front. I called the service advisor and played phone tag all day till she finally got me this afternoon. I explained what I had seen and was put on hold, she never came back the service manager did. I explained again what I had noticed and he told me that they were rotated. We had a little discussion and he never would admit that it might have happened or even went to check with the person that was to have done the work. He wanted me to bring it back and show him however I told him I would not be taking a day off of work and driving over 50 miles so I could prove it to him. I also told him I had doubts as to weather the oil and filter had been changed. He assured me that they were, but how do I know for sure. He offered to pay for someone to rotate the tires for me locally but I told him I would do it myself that way I know it will be done. I also told him I will no longer be a customer at Lexus of Roseville.

Jeff

jgr:

Sorry for your disappointment with LOR. It is too far away from V V to really make sense to take it there (unless going to Reno). The local Toyota dealer should be able to provide the needed service. I did the 5K service with LOR but won't be back there unless there is a warranty issue.

Since there is only one female service advisor, S...., I know the reference. She is my service advisor also. She does not inspire confidence.

The 5K mile "free" service is a temptation and a chance to troubleshoot any initial new car issues. Getting the personalized settings adjusted is another reason to have it done. After the 5K service there are several other options for service at a substantially reduced price. A guess might be that the free 5K service is offered so they can start a habit of using a particular dealership with all of the pampering and smiles. At least a tire rotation was offered to be paid for locally although that is not really a solution.

Now LOR is sending annoying mail and emails with sales offers and service reminders. Apparently, they hired a guy just for that purpose.

In driving around town I have seen a Breakwater Blue RX so it must have been yours. It has been seen mostly around the Factory Stores area.

That could be mine, my wife and I are out that way often going to the nut tree area to eat or Borders. The wife would be the pretty brunette I would be the almost bald guy with glasses. I will be trying the Toyota dealer or just doing things myself except warranty work for that I may try Lexus of Sacramento or Concord.

Jeff

I took my 08 RX350 to Lexus of Roseville, California for the free 5000 mile service FREE 5000 MILE SERVICE on last Friday on my way to Reno. The service advisor told me that the oil and filter would be changed, the tires would be rotated and belts and hoses checked. When I got to Reno I looked at the wheels and noticed that the fronts were still very dirty on the inside like the fronts always are. I started looking at the tires and noticed that the rears still had the little excess pieces of rubber from when they are new on the edge of the tire. It was clear to me that these were not the tires that had been on the front or they would have been edge worn from turning like the ones that are still on the front. I called the service advisor and played phone tag all day till she finally got me this afternoon. I explained what I had seen and was put on hold, she never came back the service manager did. I explained again what I had noticed and he told me that they were rotated. We had a little discussion and he never would admit that it might have happened or even went to check with the person that was to have done the work. He wanted me to bring it back and show him however I told him I would not be taking a day off of work and driving over 50 miles so I could prove it to him. I also told him I had doubts as to weather the oil and filter had been changed. He assured me that they were, but how do I know for sure. He offered to pay for someone to rotate the tires for me locally but I told him I would do it myself that way I know it will be done. I also told him I will no longer be a customer at Lexus of Roseville.

Jeff

Dealer tricks....INDEED...!!!

Were I the service manager I would wipe the oil filter clean and call it a GOOD day.

The Factory recommended service interval for all Lexus is 5,000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. Oh, and the first service is FREE for all new Lexus

The first 5k service is free on all Lexus vehicles. Lexus pays the dealer for this service...they get paid just as if you had paid them.

The factory interval is 7500 normal, 5k severe. I've always maintained mine at 5k.

Never had any problems with my dealer, I always get measurements for the brakes BTW.