New To Me '99 Ls.....road Noise Question

erg1948

Back on the forum after a 3-year absence. Sold my '90 LS in 2005, last week found a '99 LS that I couldn't pass up. The car seems perfect except for some missing segments in the radio LCD. My only real concern is road noise. I don't know if my memory of my '90 is just too golden or what, but this '99 just seems noisy. I ran a Carfax before purchase and the report is clean. 79k miles. Paid $11k. So why the noise? I suspect tires more than anything being missing or bent. The tires currently mounted are Michelin Symmetry and appear to have about 80% tread remaining.

Can anyone offer some input? Do I need to change out the tires, or is the '99 just noisier?

Also, any ideas on how to repair the radio display will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gene

I have pretty much the same car ... a 2000 LS with 62k on her.

It came with Michelin HydroEdge tires, which have a "V" in the tread.

I agree that the road noise is a little higher than I thought it would be.

I figure that the total absence of wind noise/engine noise makes me more aware of a little tire noise.

Plus, I'm guessing my tires are a louder design.

I simply turn up the Nakamichi and enjoy the serene environment of an 8 yr old car.

Its still the nicest cruiser I've ever owned.

Thanks Tcbted. I wish mine had the Nakamichi. It doesn't have that , nav, air suspension or heated seats. I want to get the radio display fixed as it looks tacky with the missing LCD segments. I will add heated seats sometime this fall.

Gene

It's most likely the tires. Because the LS is so well insulated, a noisy tire sounds like the end of the world. My '04 LS430 still has the OE Dunlops, and they are quiet as can be, but I'm going to Michelin MXV4s when the time comes. I've had them on several MB, including my current '04 S430. If you are running a lower profile tire than OE, you may be hearing noise from that short sidewall not flexing like a taller tire. I had Continental Pilots on both an ES and a GS, and they seemed quiet, but neither of those cars was as well insulated as the LS, so they could have been noisier than mud and snow tires and I wouldn't have noticed because of all the other noise.

Does it make any sort of humming sound? I had a wheel bearing go out on my BMW and when I would take highway left turns it was loud as hell but on the normal roads it was fine. We had a rear wheel bearing go out on the 96 and it was loud all the time. Especially in the back of the car.

Now, I do have road noise in my BMW now but its an alignment issue thats come back. You should see the outter tread on my Bridgestone Turunza :cries: I'll end up having to get a new tire put on. That makes a lot of noise and you can feel it when you drive. I am sure its in because the tire is ballin like no other. If the cars tires look good then the problem gets a little more in-depth....

How's the ride? Is it soft, yet controllable, or does it seem a bit harsh, with the bumps of the road rambling through the car? I ask, because maybe the previous owner replaced the struts with aftermarket, instead of oem? that can make a difference in the amount of road noise translated up the struts into the cabin. The Lexus brand is quiet because of the soft rubber bushings in all of the suspension components, including the struts.

How's the ride? Is it soft, yet controllable, or does it seem a bit harsh, with the bumps of the road rambling through the car? I ask, because maybe the previous owner replaced the struts with aftermarket, instead of oem? that can make a difference in the amount of road noise translated up the struts into the cabin. The Lexus brand is quiet because of the soft rubber bushings in all of the suspension components, including the struts.

This sounds plausible......but would the struts need replacement before 80k miles? I'll have to check this out. You might be right because there does seem to be some harshness as well as noise. But I guess that could be tires too. I think I'll just bite the bullet and have the local Lexus dealer check it out. They did pretty good by me with the '90 LS. Not particularly cheap of course. I wonder what they would charge for a simple vehicle inspection.

Gene

I'm almost certain its the tires in both erb and tcb's issues.

The Michelin Symmetry is a fairly crappy all around general use tire with a T speed rating. Replace the tires with a really good set of V rated touring tires (Michelin Primacy MXV4 would be my choice) and you will see a huge improvement in noise.

Same goes for the HydroEdges, those are too aggressive a tire for the LS.

I'm almost certain its the tires in both erb and tcb's issues.

The Michelin Symmetry is a fairly crappy all around general use tire with a T speed rating. Replace the tires with a really good set of V rated touring tires (Michelin Primacy MXV4 would be my choice) and you will see a huge improvement in noise.

Same goes for the HydroEdges, those are too aggressive a tire for the LS.

To clarify my noise issue........imagine pumping the tires to 40-45lbs. I should have thought of posting that to begin with. I think I will attack this with a visit to Lexus of Portland for a vehicle inspection then, barring them finding something bad, I will swap out the tires for the Primacy's, assuming I can find a set in the NW.

Thanks for all of the replies. This is a great site!

I am slowly making this LS "mine". Added the Weathertech in-channel window visors (I know, sacriledge to some) and Sirius satellite radio. I will install seat heaters next fall. And, soon as I can find a place, get the radio display fixed. I would post pictures, but everyone here knows what a pearl white with tan trim LS looks like :) . But if anyone insists, I will post anyway :D .

Gene

I would post pictures, but everyone here knows what a pearl white with tan trim LS looks like :) . But if anyone insists, I will post anyway :D .

Gene

Post away! Loc has lots of hungry eyes! ;)

Just an update on tires. I went to America's Tires to order the Michelin Primacy MXV4's, but they talked me into trying the Yokohama YK520's instead. They would exchange for the Primacy's withing 30 days if I wasn't happy (for another $200 or so!). Any way, the 520's are great so far. What was road roar is now a hum. Smooth and crisp handling.

Now my question.....has anyone else used the 520's on their LS? The 520's are H rated, not V. Still better than the S rated Symmetry's that were on there. Any opinions on H rather than V-rated?

I did check Consumer Reports tire tests. They top-rated the Primacy, but info on the 520 was nowhere to be found.

Thanks once again for any opinions, good or bad.

Gene

No experience with the Yokos. As for H rated, you're fine safetywise (where as it was a question with the Symmetrys), but I would never put an H rated tire on a car designed for V rated tires to make sure I'm getting the proper ride and suspension geometry.

Back in 91 when I was car shopping at Lexus I lucked out, sorta.

One of the cars I test drove, an LS, had all-season radial tires. By pure happenstance the next inline LS I drove had a set of "summer only" tires.

The LS is extremely quiet otherwise so the tire noise difference was VERY noticeable.

I ended up buying the one with all-seasons but the dealer was kind enough to swap in the summer only tires from the QUIETER LS. Since that time I have ALWAYS shopped ONLY for summer tires, PERIOD. Even my '01 AWD RX300 has nice comfortably riding, and QUIET, summer only Bridgestone Turanzas which are kept on all year around. I always resort to tire chains, REAR tire chains, QUICKLY, at times of need for more traction.

One of the cars I test drove, an LS, had all-season radial tires. By pure happenstance the next inline LS I drove had a set of "summer only" tires.

The LS is extremely quiet otherwise so the tire noise difference was VERY noticeable.

I ended up buying the one with all-seasons but the dealer was kind enough to swap in the summer only tires from the QUIETER LS. Since that time I have ALWAYS shopped ONLY for summer tires, PERIOD. Even my '01 AWD RX300 has nice comfortably riding, and QUIET, summer only Bridgestone Turanzas which are kept on all year around. I always resort to tire chains, REAR tire chains, QUICKLY, at times of need for more traction.

Wow, for once I agree with wwest! :o

One should remember that all season tires were always a no cost option on all years of the LS400. The standard tires were summer-only tires.

Although I used all season tires during much of the 18 years I have been driving LS400s, I am finding that my 2000 LS400 is much more enjoyable in the spring/summer/fall with summer only directional tires.

One should remember that all season tires were always a no cost option on all years of the LS400. The standard tires were summer-only tires.

Although I used all season tires during much of the 18 years I have been driving LS400s, I am finding that my 2000 LS400 is much more enjoyable in the spring/summer/fall with summer only directional tires.

I've been thinking of summer tires when it comes time to replace my all seasons. What kind of tread life have you experienced with them? And what about traction issues in colder weather?

I've been thinking of summer tires when it comes time to replace my all seasons. What kind of tread life have you experienced with them? And what about traction issues in colder weather?

Treadlife depends a lot on driving style and tire quality/design. I am a fairly conservative driver (even more so as I get older) and I can usually get 40,000 miles out of almost any summer or all season tire on an LS.

Traction issues in cold weather? I always use full blown snow tires -- ones with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall. My Blizzaks are mounted on an extra set of wheels. More than once over the years, I have done the switchover to summer tires in the Spring and then had to quickly reinstall my snow tires to safely get around in a late snowfall. I can't emphasize too much that using snow tires on an LS makes winter driving incredibly easy and drama-free.

My current set of Blizzaks (WS-50 which I think are no longer available) have been the best snow tires I have ever used in terms of wear, traction and low noise level. They have four winters and about 22,000 miles on them and I think I can get one more winter out of them before the tread is down to the point where they will function as "normal" snow tires.

Treadlife depends a lot on driving style and tire quality/design. I am a fairly conservative driver (even more so as I get older) and I can usually get 40,000 miles out of almost any summer or all season tire on an LS.

Traction issues in cold weather? I always use full blown snow tires -- ones with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall. My Blizzaks are mounted on an extra set of wheels. More than once over the years, I have done the switchover to summer tires in the Spring and then had to quickly reinstall my snow tires to safely get around in a late snowfall. I can't emphasize too much that using snow tires on an LS makes winter driving incredibly easy and drama-free.

Thanks for the tips. In the winter I only drive the LS when the roads are perfectly dry, so snow is not an issue for me. Traction of summer tires is a question because I drive it year round. I've read different reports showing traction specs for summer/all season/winter/snow tires. For cold weather, it seems like winter tires, which are designed with icy conditions in mind, have the best adhesion. But I can't drive them in the summer. So I guess I'm looking for the best compromise and save myself 2 sets of tires and rims.

On the AWD RX300 the first set of turanazs lated almost 40,000 miles. I don't remember the numbers on the LS400 other than the mileage was acceptable. I run on turanzas all year around, ever wintertime trips in the RX to central MT, but am QUICK to install chains when the need arises.

Just an update on tires. I went to America's Tires to order the Michelin Primacy MXV4's, but they talked me into trying the Yokohama YK520's instead. They would exchange for the Primacy's withing 30 days if I wasn't happy (for another $200 or so!). Any way, the 520's are great so far. What was road roar is now a hum. Smooth and crisp handling.

Now my question.....has anyone else used the 520's on their LS? The 520's are H rated, not V. Still better than the S rated Symmetry's that were on there. Any opinions on H rather than V-rated?

I did check Consumer Reports tire tests. They top-rated the Primacy, but info on the 520 was nowhere to be found.

Thanks once again for any opinions, good or bad.

Gene

i know nobody else here has done this, but on my 92LS, i run the goodyear assurance comforttreads, they are rated for 80,000 miles they are super plush riding and they certainly mask my dilapidated suspension parts, and they are quiet as hell, plus they look good as goodyear put some sort of uv protectant into the sidewall so they dont fade in color....the down side is they have a high rolling resistance...

Also, remember to check the air pressure of the tires and set it to Lexus' recommendation. The dealer left mine between 45-50psi when I bought it and it was loud as heck, I lowered it to 35psi and it was total difference. Yesterday I went down to the recommended 32psi and it was better still. I really didn't expect going from 35 to 32 would make much of a difference, but it has. I still hate my tires, but I don't hate them $800 worth :)