Stiff Steering

nocaster

I have a 2000 RX300. When I turn the steering wheel there are spots where it feels as if it has no power steering. It will feel fine and then get stiff and feel fine again. Is this a common problem on this vehicle? Could it be the power steering rack or pump?

Thanks

I have heard of no one having a problem on their steering on the RX. Maybe the system needs to be flushed and new fluid put in.

I have a 2000 RX300. When I turn the steering wheel there are spots where it feels as if it has no power steering. It will feel fine and then get stiff and feel fine again. Is this a common problem on this vehicle? Could it be the power steering rack or pump?

Thanks

Sounds as if you're describing a failed or failing CV joint. Is the problem worse the tighter you turn...?

Otherwise it may be a bad rack and pinion.

[

Sounds as if you're describing a failed or failing CV joint. Is the problem worse the tighter you turn...?

It usually feels stiff about every quarter turn of the steering wheel. If I didn't know any better, I would think the tires were severely low on air pressure. If feels a little stiffer when turning to the right versus the left. It doesn't matter if I'm moving or sitting still. Would a CV joint cause this even when not moving?

[

It usually feels stiff about every quarter turn of the steering wheel. If I didn't know any better, I would think the tires were severely low on air pressure. If feels a little stiffer when turning to the right versus the left. It doesn't matter if I'm moving or sitting still. Would a CV joint cause this even when not moving?

Worse in tight, TIGHT, slow turns..???

If so, CV..

Worse in tight, TIGHT, slow turns..???

If so, CV..

I didn't know an RX300 could turn tight. :)

All joking aside, it doesn't seem to matter how tight the turn. The best way I can describe it is the power steering feels like it has dead spots while turning the wheel. If it were normal wheel feedback I would think a tie rod end is completely broken or the tires were severely under inflated.

Just an update for anyone who might find this later. I flushed the old power steering fluid and replaced it with new and the steering returned to normal. The old fluid had turned dark brown and didn't smell very good.

Hey thank you for the feedback, Question I have never changed my fluid, was it easy?

It was quite simple but somewhat messy. I was able to drain it via the small diameter pressure line at the reservoir. First I removed the hose from the hard line and let the reservoir drain into a bottle via the 90 degree flex hose. Then I reattached the hose to the hard line and removed the other end from the reservoir. I put the hose in the collection bottle and had my wife start the engine and turn the wheels. All the fluid pumped out in about a minute.

After reconnecting the hose I had her start the engine again and started pouring in new fluid while she turned the wheels to the stops. When the wheel is turned fully to the stop small bubbles come up in the reservoir as air bleeds from the system. It took about ten minutes to do the whole thing. Afterwards, my steering is a good as new.

There's a post on clublexus.com with pics showing the entire procedure. I would post the link it but they are down at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a fluid extractor to suck out the fluid in the reservoir every oil change. It takes DexronIII or T-IV whichever half full bottle I happen to have sitting around. After several drain/fills and running the car in between the fluid is bright red and the steering is fine. I do this on all my vehicles. Using a fluid extractor eliminates unbolting or disconnecting any lines and having to deal with any fluid leaks. Way easy and the fluid in the system really never gets bad to begin with.

My fluid is a strange color, has and always was a dark green, Anybody elses that color? I have had the car since new, and will admit have never changed it...it is time...

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...