New Gas On A Block

I can use 87 octane gas in my 2000 GS300. It is not as peppy ride as with 93. But saving are obvious. Mileage doesn't suffer too much either.

But there is a new gas on a block. :angry: It is 10% ethanol. Watch for a small white sticker on a gas pump. You'll see it. Some say that it will cut your mileage by 15 to 20%. so it is not saving at all. And some say it is even worse because it burns gaskets on it's way to cylinders.

Any opinions on that? :(

I can use 87 octane gas in my 2000 GS300. It is not as peppy ride as with 93. But saving are obvious. Mileage doesn't suffer too much either.

But there is a new gas on a block. :angry: It is 10% ethanol. Watch for a small white sticker on a gas pump. You'll see it. Some say that it will cut your mileage by 15 to 20%. so it is not saving at all. And some say it is even worse because it burns gaskets on it's way to cylinders.

Any opinions on that? :(

It is called gasohol. Hess is a huge supplier of it. Stay away from it. It does not have the same energy as gas. It is called it calorific value and gasohol does not have the same calorific value.

BP

Just to let you guys know. NY has had this gas for like 6+ years. I have a 2000 GS400 and have always maintained my ride and only manage to get 14-15 mpg. Now I see even a little less MPG because of my PI TC and 3.76 LSD combo. NY sucks, taxes and gas and poor roads; it's politically corrupt here! I want to move one day to a nicer state. You guys are lucky that your just starting to see this type of gas in your area! BTW premium as of today is around $4.03/gal...

yeah i was in Brooklyn over Christmas and i was *BLEEP*ed, i paid 3.89 for premium it made me almost puke! i think i will be nice and happy with my premium at 3.55 here in Tennessee! whats PI TC?

brian

Like BlexusGS said, you can't find non-ethanol laced gas in NY. My 17mpg sucks... but hey.. not much i can do about it. Gas is $4.25 in my area at some stations and I also live on long island. I just came back from Manhattan a few minutes ago and gas is actually cheaper there.... nothing is ever cheaper in Manhattan... I have noticed that I do get much better mileage when using Valero premium.... I was a lil shocked.

hey i c u did the supra tt rear end swap! can u tell me about it? simple bolt on? pricey? worthwhile? do tell.........please

brian

The '93 - '95 Supra TT 3.76 LSD version is able to put down more power than the previous year units. I have the '93-'95 3.76 LSD version purchased directly from the Official Team Lexus about a year ago (Team Lexus chose this model LSD for their race GS400); this unit was their back-up and never installed. It IS A GREAT MOD and is a direct bolt-on. It is a little expensive (new from various websites is $1699)! I luckily purchased it for $1200 and it also came with new rear axles. I GREATLY suggest you buy a PI TC Precision Industries torque converter (2800-3000rpm stall) first and then buy this 3.76 LSD. If you can manage to get both at the same time...do it! The 3.76 can be sort of counterproductive "ONLY IF" you do not have any other performance mods such as a high stall torque converter, intake, exhaust or headers. A GS400 with the Supra 3.76 LSD will NOT be THAT much faster than a stock GS400. The below example illustrates what I am trying to convey (all things held constant, ie both cars have an intake and exhaust).

Fastest - GS4XX with PI TC and 3.76LSD

GS4XX with PI TC

GS4XX with 3.76LSD (a little quicker than GS4XX stock)*

Slowest - GS4XX stock

*Only regarding initial acceleration. The 3.76 LSD GS4XX is MUCH MORE responsive at highway speeds than a stock GS4XX. But for around town the 3.76 LSD (ONLY) GS4XX is not that much quicker than a stock GS4XX.

Sorry if this is confusing. I'm just trying to properly explain this scenario.

I purchased and installed the following at the same time:

PI TC (2900 stall) - $700

3.76 Supra LSD - $1200

Supra TT rear axles - Incl. with LSD

B&M Tranny cooler - $60

Amsoil Trans fluid - $100

Royal Purple diff fluid - $40

The install for all these items cost me around $1100. This setup when it's all said and done cost me a little over $3200 but it made a HUGE difference! I feel VERY confident if I am around G35's, Maximas and 350 Z's; even if they too have some mods. GL! :)

interesting.........ty for the info! so its ONLY the tt correct? i have a almost virgin unmodded gs430 and i would love to have a bit more acceleration/strength from the rear end! it wont be unmodded forever

ty for the infor

brian

ahhhhhhhhhh i miss my old dianosaur, i had a 1992 1100 gsxr mburnickas. was a great bike

brian

Nice! The kicker is people see it and want to buy it. They always ask if I restored it, nope..The new corn fuel is crap. People in TX make major issues in bike with it. If they increase %, look out o-rings etc.

a guy in our motorcycle club still has his, he wants to buy a single sided swing arm and do a 240 kit and all this stuff and im like dude..........u putting like 4000-6000 into a 16 year old bike! no matter how much i liked mine i wouldn't do that! to many technology improvements since then! yeah im glad we have 93 here.........just sorry that NO1 in town but our race track carries race fuel anymore! :cries:

brian

blah........i've had a 92 1100 gsxr, a 95 katana 600, a 95 katana 600 (started with a 1200 bandit motor and ended with my old 92 1100 motor shoved into it!), a 98 tl1000, a 98 gsxr 750 srad (my fav bike),a 2004 gsxr 1000, a 2005 gsxr 750, a 2005 gsxr 1000, and i just aquired another 2005 gsxr 1000 (love that bike)............i just never thought u needed a turbo on a bike!

brian

blah........i've had a 92 1100 gsxr, a 95 katana 600, a 95 katana 600 (started with a 1200 bandit motor and ended with my old 92 1100 motor shoved into it!), a 98 tl1000, a 98 gsxr 750 srad (my fav bike),a 2004 gsxr 1000, a 2005 gsxr 750, a 2005 gsxr 1000, and i just aquired another 2005 gsxr 1000 (love that bike)............i just never thought u needed a turbo on a bike!

brian

NICE! :)

I would like to go over like 210 with like 20 lbs boost but say for what. After 150 things get weird in the front end. In Texas it is very easy to do over 150+ on I-10...Not that I have tried or do it.