92 Ls400 Will Nakimichi Replace Pioneer

coloknight

My stock Pioneer with CD changer is dead because the previous owner's kids pushed quarters into the cassette slot. I've been scanning ebay and the Nakimichi is cheaper. My questions are

1) will the Nakimichi replace the Pioneer without modification?

2) Will security codes be a concern?

3) Is this a DIY for someone with a brain but no experience?

4) Will the Naki operate the CD changer in the trunk?

5) Is there a chance the Pioneer is fixable for a moderate amount?

6) Should I wait, save my pennies, and pay the $250 for the Pioneers on E-bay?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

1992 LS400 (210500 miles)

Just thought of another question. Does anyone know the stock number for the original Pioneer in a 92 LS400?

I purchased a Nakimichi from Ebay for my '92 LS400 and it turned out to be simply plug-n-play. My '92 didn't have a CD player so I don't know about that but I suspect the same...plug-n-play.

But be aware a '93 will not work.

I purchased a Nakimichi from Ebay for my '92 LS400 and it turned out to be simply plug-n-play. My '92 didn't have a CD player so I don't know about that but I suspect the same...plug-n-play.

But be aware a '93 will not work.

Excellent! Because there sure is a big difference in price. Thought about using an after market but I like the cassette/CD combination. Thanks for such a quick reply.

i also have a 92ls400 120k miles....I had a Nakamichi sound system in my car, VERY EXPENSIVE 2 REPLACE AND REPAIR!!....The thing about Nakamichi is everything works together as 1 whole unit so if u have a factory Nakamichi radio ...the speakers and woofer also have 2 be Nakamichi,....in ur case if ur LS400 has a pioneer factory radio,,than u can use any other after market equipment, but Nakamichi is a big NO! it wouldnt work with ur pioneer radio....in my case my Nakamichi system went up... Just one of my speakers blew out and that effected my entire sound system...and in order 2 replace or repair it would have been between $1000+ ...so i just got an after market compact CD changer costed me $500 to rewire and replace but its worth it...cuz with a lexus the simpliest thing cost!!

I have a pioneer from a 92 LS400 w/cd changer that are not in use at this time. I bought the car 2 months ago and wanted bluetooth so I removed the radio -- all worked. Car has 23,000 miles on it so radio could not have been used much. A proverbial little old lady died so I could have the car. Make me a good offer on one or both.

mcolen@comcast.net

ajowan...I don't see how this could be true, provided the replacements front speakers are component and correctly rated. I could see the head unit not playing nice with a non-OE amp, but speakers?

Pioneer system speakers work with a nak upgrade, Guaranteed ;)

Maybe the amp is it. I spoke with a friend who's a mechanic but, in his younger days, worked at Circuit City. He said that he'd never heard of proprietory speakers. On the other hand, if it's been tried and failed....who am I to say?

My situation is that I'm a newbie that's in love with her Lexus and wants to keep it as original as possible but lives on a limited budget and the $100 difference is a big difference. Especially since there are other...albiet very minor...fixes that have to be done.

So what's the verdict? If I buy the Naki that's coming from a 92 LS400 with a CD changer, will the stock Pioneer equipment of my 92 LS400 work with it?...including the amp and the CD changer?

Maybe the amp is it. I spoke with a friend who's a mechanic but, in his younger days, worked at Circuit City. He said that he'd never heard of proprietory speakers. On the other hand, if it's been tried and failed....who am I to say?

If you are replacing the pioneer with the nak system it is plug and play, If you never had a cd changer in the trunk then you need a wiring harness that runs from the changer to the headunit. I have a full nak system if interested. Headunit, changer, amp, subwoofer and harness.

I have the full Pioneer system with a 6CD changer in the trunk. So if I get the Naki radio, do I just pull the Pioneer and plug in the Naki? As you've probably figured out, I'm an automotive nitwit so forgive if this is what you've already said.

Maybe a bit off subject but the reason I have to replace the radio (head unit?) is that the previous owner's kids put quarters in the cassette slot. As far as I know, the quarters are still in there because the previous owners said that, for awhile, all they had to do is thump the dash and the radio would work. My guess is that the thumping bounced the quarters around. Is it possible that removing the quarters is all I have to do? Is it possible to do....even for a nitwit?

I have the full Pioneer system with a 6CD changer in the trunk. So if I get the Naki radio, do I just pull the Pioneer and plug in the Naki? As you've probably figured out, I'm an automotive nitwit so forgive if this is what you've already said.

Maybe a bit off subject but the reason I have to replace the radio (head unit?) is that the previous owner's kids put quarters in the cassette slot. As far as I know, the quarters are still in there because the previous owners said that, for awhile, all they had to do is thump the dash and the radio would work. My guess is that the thumping bounced the quarters around. Is it possible that removing the quarters is all I have to do? Is it possible to do....even for a nitwit?

HOw much are willing to pay because I have taken my pioneer headunit from my ls400 with the cd changers. I put in a system into my car because the factory unit couldn't produce much power for my subs.

First thing I would do is get an estimate for repairing the pioneer. It might be a simple and cheap fix, but you won't know until you get it checked out. Car audio shops are usually up on compatibility issues ... it's their business. Talk to them about your options.

Maybe pull the head unit out and disassemble a bit to see if you can get the money out of it?

I need to pull my rr door panel off as the speaker is blown. I have a pioneer system on the 92 and I had replaced the sub a few months back. I found it was a 2 ohm sub difficult to replace with anything other then stock. I'm wondering, are the door speakers 2 ohm speakers also? Anyone know?