Amsoil Eea Air Filter

jcrome04

Ok first things first, yes I searched. I couldn't nesecarily find what I needed to know.

I'm looking for a high flow paper filter, due to the oil of a K&N possibly messing up my MAF. I know a lot of people have had no problem with K&Ns, and neither have I in the past, but I don't even want to take that chance anymore. Plus I want to try one of these paper filters I wouldn't have to "RE-OIL" every once in a while.

I found an old old post (circa 2006) where "SKPerformance" says he has an Amsoil EeA filter i believe??

I checked out Amsoils website, put in my info for 1997 Lexus LS400 with the 1UZFE, and it didn't show any EeA filters for it. Did they discontinue this product for the LS?? Is this a fluke? Can I still find one to purchase??

Are there any other good high-flow paper filters on the market? I've heard of AirHog but am iffy to but a FRAM product..I know it may not really be a BAD product but I just want the BEST product, and I've heard more positive results of Amsoil EeA's...

I greatly appreciate any and all advice & info. Thanks to everyone in advance!!!

:cheers:

The Amsoil EA air filters are fantastic products & I highly recommend them.....unfortunately, it appears Amsoil never made one for your year LS......I can't get one either for my 2005 ES which bugs me :(

Best suggestion is to e-mail them & ask if they have any plans to make one for your car. Failing that, the WIX air filters are very good products too, they just won't last as long as the Amsoil EA air filter.

I sold on the fact that these filters are cheaper than your K & N's & the like & only require a vacuum once a year. I've had them in my last 3 cars (including my 2006 Subaru Forester XT Turbo.....so I can't figure out for the life of me why they do not make one for our cars). :rolleyes: Stay clear of the Fram from what I have heard.

Might want to consider the Amsoil EA Oil filter as well........one of the very best available.

The WIX is a high quality paper filter.....not 'high flow'.....I'd compare the price of this to the OE filter. I'm bummed that the Amsoil air filter is not offered for our models (especially the ES, because the Camry would use the same one), but I will stay away from K & N (and others like it) because I find the re-oiling is a pain.

Did you contact Amsoil to see if they have any plans to bring this filter to market?

I don't know of any other 'high flow' filters out there that can just be vacuumed & re-installed. If anyone else does, please let us know. :)

Maybe I am wrong, but the EAA filters where not around in 2006 here. So how could someone have one?????

Amsoil will not make filters for autos unless there is a major demand...My next filter will be there EAA filter.

My levels in UOA (just got one backl) are fine using paper so it will be cool to see how it does compared to paper.

Maybe I am wrong, but the EAA filters where not around in 2006 here. So how could someone have one?????

Amsoil will not make filters for autos unless there is a major demand...My next filter will be there EAA filter.

My levels in UOA (just got one backl) are fine using paper so it will be cool to see how it does compared to paper.

I had an EAA air filter for my 2006 Forester XT......which I was very suprised they made & not for a car like the ES/Camry.....considering how many of them are on the road......I am having a hard time understanding why they don't yet offer them. :huh:

Post your findings with the EAA air filter mburn....very curious how it will compare to the paper filter results. :) Cause I know they make that filter for the 97 - 01 ES.....had one in my 01 too.

Called Amsoil Tech line 1.25pm PST.

They apparently just release some EeA filters for newer LS's i think the 430's but he didn't give me any specifics. He said it will be 6-9 months before they will produce all new filter applications!

Looks like I'll have to consider a K&N and just get over the whole oiling process.

That sucks.. did you have problems with it on your lexus?? I had one on my old LS with no problems. I just hate re-oiling them..

oil glazzed in car and one in truck..No way in my autos...No knocking anyone but if you test oil, you will see this issue come up.

Called Amsoil Tech line 1.25pm PST.

They apparently just release some EeA filters for newer LS's i think the 430's but he didn't give me any specifics. He said it will be 6-9 months before they will produce all new filter applications!

Looks like I'll have to consider a K&N and just get over the whole oiling process.

Hopefully they will make one for the 2002 - 2006 ES's then......I will keep an eye on this. I will just use the OE paper filter until then.

• 1 month later...

I have used a K&N FIPK on my Jeep Grand Cherokee (V-8) for about 10 years. It made throttle response noticeably quicker as well as added a nice kick in hp in tandem with high flow exhaust. However, the Jeep has LOTS of room for improvement out of the factory, and isn't known for being quiet.

I am perfectly comfortable with the K&N filter based on 10 years of use. My concern would be what the benefit is in an LS400.....I wouldn't expect any noticeable hp gain. Is there any benefit in throttle response? Does it change the sound of the vehicle? (loud is OK in my Jeep, but I quite like the quiet of the LS400).

Just curious as I am do to swap air filter. Otherwise, I was planning on an OEM filter for $22 from www.irontoad.com. Are there any filters in that price range that are better than OEM?

I am perfectly comfortable with the K&N filter based on 10 years of use. My concern would be what the benefit is in an LS400.....I wouldn't expect any noticeable hp gain. Is there any benefit in throttle response? Does it change the sound of the vehicle? (loud is OK in my Jeep, but I quite like the quiet of the LS400).
I have a K&N in my '95, and I love it. I don't know about throttle response and hp gains, but it does not make the car any louder at all, and I picked up an extra mpg on the hwy (which is why I love mine; plus, I'm not having to buy new paper filters all the time.). Just don't get carried away when you oil it, and you won't have any problems.

I have a K&N in my '95, and I love it. I don't know about throttle response and hp gains, but it does not make the car any louder at all, and

I picked up an extra mpg on the hwy

Hmmm....

Most of us cruise along on the hwy at a relatively constant speed and therefore mostly only a partially open throttle.

Resulting in a K&N, or no filter at all, being of no help since the throttle plate itself is the PRIMARY restriction to engine intake airflow.

You must do a LOT of passing (2 lane hwy..??) at WOT to avoid the throttle plate restriction being the PRIMARY restriction to engine intake airflow, and therefore take "some" advantage of the K&N free flow.

(which is why I love mine; plus, I'm not having to buy new paper filters all the time.). Just don't get carried away when you oil it, and you won't have any problems.

How do you avoid at least some minimum level of oil wicking from the filter and into the high volume/velocity airflow at WOT throttle and high engine RPM..??

Lots of former K&N users have quit using them because of inadvertent and/or unavoidable contamination of the MAF/IAT sensor. Oil film buildup first and then subsequent dust particles on top of that compromises the ability of the engine ECU for fuel management.

How do you avoid at least some minimum level of oil wicking from the filter and into the high volume/velocity airflow at WOT throttle and high engine RPM..??

Lots of former K&N users have quit using them because of inadvertent and/or unavoidable contamination of the MAF/IAT sensor. Oil film buildup first and then subsequent dust particles on top of that compromises the ability of the engine ECU for fuel management.

I don't know anything about this. I have used the full K&N FIPK intake system (with conical filter) in my Grand Cherokee for 10 years, perfectly happy, with no adverse effects. I don't have any oil buildup in the air tube for particulates to adhere to. I just changed the oil and cleaned the throttle body last night. After 30K miles, the throttle body was quite clean. I figure if I can make an american made 4X4 run perfect at 170K miles with a K&N, I am much less concerned about experiencing any negative ramifications from using a K&N drop-in on a much better made vehicle.

I know there are a lot of opinions both ways on this one; but I trust my personal experience over opinions.

I have a K&N in my '95, and I love it. I don't know about throttle response and hp gains, but it does not make the car any louder at all, and I picked up an extra mpg on the hwy (which is why I love mine; plus, I'm not having to buy new paper filters all the time.). Just don't get carried away when you oil it, and you won't have any problems.

Just curious, what do your TB and MAF look like?

Hmmm....

Most of us cruise along on the hwy at a relatively constant speed and therefore mostly only a partially open throttle.

Resulting in a K&N, or no filter at all, being of no help since the throttle plate itself is the PRIMARY restriction to engine intake airflow.

You must do a LOT of passing (2 lane hwy..??) at WOT to avoid the throttle plate restriction being the PRIMARY restriction to engine intake airflow, and therefore take "some" advantage of the K&N free flow.

I don't do much driving on two lane highways, nor do I have it at WOT often. Most of the time the car is on the interstate with the cruise set at 75-80. The people who don't know how to oil these K&N filters are usually the ones who don't like them. I use K&Ns aerosol oil and allow a very long drying time to prevent any damage to my engine's electronics, and after almost 2 years of using this filter, I have never cleaned or had any trouble with the MAF sensor.
Just curious, what does your TB and MAF look like?
I don't know what the throttle body or MAF sensor look like lately. The last time I removed and cleaned the TB was in 2005 when it was off for new valve cover gaskets (this was before I installed the K&N), and it looked like your typical carboned up TB. I'll try and remember to take pics of the MAF sensor for you the next time I have all of that duct work off. Before and after for the TB....

post-1461-1212268681_thumb.jpg

post-1461-1212268696_thumb.jpg

I don't do much driving on two lane highways, nor do I have it at WOT often. Most of the time the car is on the interstate with the cruise set at 75-80.

Hate to say it Blake, but with what you said above, you're making the case for ww. He's basically saying that if you're not running WOT then there's no sense to using a K&N filter or any less restrictive intake system for that matter.

Hate to say it Blake, but with what you said above, you're making the case for ww. He's basically saying that if you're not running WOT then there's no sense to using a K&N filter or any less restrictive intake system for that matter.
We all have different takes on this, but my opinion is based on objective data that I've collected from my particular car. When I put the filter in, my highway mileage (cruising at 75mph-80mph on the interstate) went up 4.5%; it's that simple for me. My K&N isn't going anywhere!! :)

We all have different takes on this, but my opinion is based on objective data that I've collected from my particular car. When I put the filter in, my highway mileage (cruising at 75mph-80mph on the interstate) went up 4.5%; it's that simple for me. My K&N isn't going anywhere!! :)

I agree with you that we all have differing opinions. In the end, the only opinion that really matters, is the one based on your own personal experience. :cheers:

One wonders just what other maintenance item Blake may have addressed at the same time the K&N was initially installed...??

New tires..??

Proper tire inflation...??

Oil change to synthetic...??

New/cleaned spark plugs...??

Switched to 2WD mode..??

New oxygen sensor..??

Cleaned the MAF/IAT sensors..??

And finally...

Gasoline supplier switched formulations....??