Sc400 Trouble Codes

delaney

My SC400 with 102k on it just presented me with a check engine light.

Extended warranty expired at 100k.

The code is P0441 ... " the PCM has determined that the purge flow in the evaporative emission control system is incorrect for the current engine operating conditions"

Could someone please enlighten me? I pretty good at maintaining cars, so I have all the tools.

Regards,

Pete

I'd start with pcv valves and the charcoal canister and go from there.

Maybe you have an OBD2 car because I don't see that code in my manuals. What year is your car? There is a link to an alldata site that has that info somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

• 2 months later...

P0440 and P0441 are both related to the fuel system.

First (p0440/p0441: have you fueled recently? Common problems in OBDII vehicles are not tightening the gas cap or filling the tank too much. A simple code reset, and you're good to go. The code can appear after several days of driving.

Second (mainly P0441): The evap cannister that works with the fuel tank has some valves and sensors that will throw a code. The problem is common in Toyota Camry. A code reset may cure the problem, but if it recurrs, the cannister will need to be replaced. This quite often happens during the warranty period, so I can't offer a price. In Camry, replacing the cannister requires removing the fuel tank. Check the repair manual first.

p0441 bases on 2 trip detection logic so there is def smth wrong.

trouble areas for this code are:

1. open or short in vsv cirquit for evap

2. vsv for evap

3. ECM.

4. vacoom hose blocked or disconnected

5. charcoal canister.

let me know if u need more info

• 6 months later...
am jus wondering how to take the cover for the speakers from the door out and the cover from the back becasue i want to change my speakres but i cant take it out

Not to bash, but open your own post, don't hijack another...that doesn't have ANYTHING to do with what your asking and SEARCH! Its been covered.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have the same problem with my 1996 SC400 (with 89k miles); code P0441. Please let me know if what is the final out come for this! I am truly appreciate any help at this time; save me a trip to the dealer (and maybe a big bill:-( Thank you for all input/help! Thienn

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my 96. I bought a scanner and cleared the code and the light never came back on (it's been over a year now). Just as 2XLexV8 described it was related to a trip to the gas station. I had overfilled the tank trying to round up to the nearest whole dollar.

I still have the same error code with my SC400! Reset so many times with both scanner, pulled EFI fuse and disconnected battery and it sitll come back after 50 miles or so. I just received the OEM service manual so I am still working on the problem per their instructions! Replace the fuel cap gasket,inspected vacuum hoses, inspected the charcoal canister (no cracks and check valves work as supposed). The only thing that was not in spec was the VSV (Vacuum Switch Valve) for the evaporator! The manual calls for 30-34 ohms of resistant between terminal; mine measured 41 ohms. I ordered the VSV and it should be here any day now! Hopefully it will fix the problem and clear the warning lights. If not, I will have to order the charcoal canister (over $300 for part) and go from there. Thank you for all inputs and will keep everyone update with any progress! TN