What's The Most Accurate Car Cost Valuator?

Crusty1

I've used KBB and NADA for years but as of late I really wonder if there's a more accurate/reliable way to estimate a car's true worth before making a purchase. It seems they always "over" value what cars really sell for in the real world...whether it be Ebay, Craigslist, or the local paper. Anything better to work with? Is there a way to "factor" in what a car should be worth based on these two guides: ie, deduct 10% for real world value, etc. Thanks.

I've used KBB and NADA for years but as of late I really wonder if there's a more accurate/reliable way to estimate a car's true worth before making a purchase. It seems they always "over" value what cars really sell for in the real world...whether it be Ebay, Craigslist, or the local paper. Anything better to work with? Is there a way to "factor" in what a car should be worth based on these two guides: ie, deduct 10% for real world value, etc. Thanks.

I like the black book since it is very close, or closer then both noted above. "YMMV"

I like the black book since it is very close, or closer then both noted above. "YMMV"

Wow! I didn't know the Bible was so versatile? Are the car values in the old or new testament? Ok. Bad joke. What "black book" are we talking about? The only black book I've ever heard of just had girls names and numbers. Yes, this confirms my level of ignorance with regard to car matters. I use to work for State Farm for quite a few years and all we ever had was KBB and "Nads" as we used to call it. Enlighted oh wise one!

IMO all the valuation guides are mostly worthless. None seem to accurately reflect the market. Your best bet is to get a feel for what cars are really selling for in the geograhical area in which you are buying. This takes patience unless you are fortunate to know a auto broker who is willing to share this sort of inside information with you.

No, there actually is a guide that the dealers use that is called "black book". I have seen my uncle with one.

NADA seems high to me and Edmunds seems to low on most cars. For me, KBB PPV seems to be the closest I have personally used, but I think the black book seems decent as well.

I agree with what 1990LS400 said... it varies so much from region to region.

No, there actually is a guide that the dealers use that is called "black book". I have seen my uncle with one.

NADA seems high to me and Edmunds seems to low on most cars. For me, KBB PPV seems to be the closest I have personally used, but I think the black book seems decent as well.

I agree with what 1990LS400 said... it varies so much from region to region.

So is this the infamous, "holy grail" of auto valuation? http://www.carquotes.com/BlackBook.aspx

i use edmunds. i think its prices are fair.

Im in trouble. I checked my LS's PPV there and they value it at $1499! Looks like I got a bum deal! I paid $3200 for mine. <_<

They show retail @ $2652 and trade-in @ only $816! The timing belt/water pump replacement 13K ago alone was $1300.

On the other hand, they value my old Tundra @ $9118 for PPV and I sold it for $10500, which I personally still think was too cheap.

i use edmunds. i think its prices are fair.

Im in trouble. I checked my LS's PPV there and they value it at $1499! Looks like I got a bum deal! I paid $3200 for mine. <_<

They show retail @ $2652 and trade-in @ only $816! The timing belt/water pump replacement 13K ago alone was $1300.

On the other hand, they value my old Tundra @ $9118 for PPV and I sold it for $10500, which I personally still think was too cheap.

don't sweat it. I think its values are so low because our cars are aging. Also there is lower demand for these old things now with high gas prices. I wish i could find a decent LS for $1500.

Even old 89 civic's bring $1500 on craigslist. Edmunds is almost a slap in the face. But i use it because i never sell cars, only buy :)