Add Bluetooth

Has anyone added Bluetooth (aftermarket) to their vehicle? I have an IS250 (2006). My car does NOT have the Navigation package. I added the XM module and that was very easy. From what I have learned Lexus does not offer Bluetooth to cars without the NAV package. However, I came across a Lexus dealer in Australia that sells a Bluetooth package. It was posted on their web site. I emailed them and the cost for the package and shipping to the US is 550 (AU dollars). I could buy a portable GPS with bluetooth for that much. But, I am interested in a clean application without something mounted in the window. I am waiting to hear back from them again. I asked them if they have a PDF file for the installation that I can look at. I did the same thing with the XM and once I saw the instructions I knew it would be easy. I will include the AU website here so you can check out what they say.

Norman

http://www.citylexus.com.au/default.cfm?section=6.2

Other Lexus models have standalone BT, but not the IS. Why not just go with a top of the line headset?

I tried a couple of BT headsets. They have too much base for me. Also, if you enjoy music as much as I do I really don't want something stuck in my ear blocking the music.

This is, obviously, not a priority. Just a nice to have feature.

Norman

Garmin 660 it is then... 300-350 bucks on sale, handsfree BT (and ear-free), plus all the better-than-OEM nav features including realtime traffic and the ability to take it with you

Thanks, Knightshade. I just bought an earpiece for my phone, and it hurts my ear. The first one I bought wasn't bluetooth, and it was annoying, as well. I really miss the navi on the Toyota I had with the integrated bluetooth.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a Jabra SP5050 bluetooth speakerphone at Costco for $50 with coupon. So far, it works great. Sounds is very loud and clear, and people on the other end have no problem hearing me. I guess it doesn't hurt that the IS has a pretty quite interior. Its also pretty slim, and slides right onto your visor. I'm pretty happy with it, and it sure beats wearing a goofy headset in my ear.

My 2 cents...

I just bought a Jabra SP5050 bluetooth speakerphone at Costco for $50 with coupon. So far, it works great. Sounds is very loud and clear, and people on the other end have no problem hearing me. I guess it doesn't hurt that the IS has a pretty quite interior. Its also pretty slim, and slides right onto your visor. I'm pretty happy with it, and it sure beats wearing a goofy headset in my ear.

My 2 cents...

And see, I was at Costco and forgot that coupon. I almost got that and went with the earpiece instead.......argh!

My 2 cents...

And see, I was at Costco and forgot that coupon. I almost got that and went with the earpiece instead.......argh!

If you are settling on an "earpiece" BT device, then the Jawbone is the only way to go! Yes, it is on the pricey side; however, the noise cancelling feature is amazing and it is VERY comfortable on your ear (comes with 2 right and 2 left ear pieces that you can swap out).