Lexus Keys

robbinsr

I have only one key for my 1996 Lexus (fortunately the master key), and I want to have extras made. I saw a previous post that suggested that any locksmith can make one. Here's my question: the nearest Lexus dealer is 150 miles away. I have 2 blanks and a local locksmith says that he can make one. Is there any risk of his ruining the key I have when he makes new ones? And, is there any additional electronic coding necessary for a new key?

Thanks! :huh:

I have a 99 es300...I am also in the same situation, and I was told I would need to drive to the dealership where it came from to pay to have it done..They're laser cut..I'm not sure if your local locksmith could do it, but as far as I know I have to go to the dealership..Hope that helps..

Naa he's not going to mess up the key that you've got. The question is the electronic chip. Whatever key he makes will not start the car if it doesnt have an electronic chip imbedded in it programmed to the ECU of the car. A lot of places sell spare keys with no chip. It'll unlock the car, but it wont start it.

Check out www.lexus-parts.com they'll send you a precut key matched to your VIN and instructions for programming the chip.

You dont have to go to the dealership, they just want to charge you $300 for a key. Lexus-Parts.com sends them already cut, that information is availiable to any dealership simply by them typing in the car's VIN.

Lexus dealers markup parts as much as 3-500%. You buy a quart of Mobil 1 Synthetic oil from Pep Boys its $5.40 a quart. Lexus sells the same oil for $19 a quart. Turn signal bumbs for the ES? Same as the Camry. $3 from Toyota, $12 from Lexus. Lexus-parts.com is a Lexus dealer in TX that sells parts online with a reasonable markup, thats why everything is so much cheaper from them. CD magazine for my ES? $25 from Lexus-Parts.com, $85 from my dealer. Don't even bother getting a price check on anything from your neighborhood Lexus dealer :rolleyes: My Lexus service rep even tells me to bring my own parts whenever possible. I buy my own oil, filters, air filters, everything myself online because its 1/5th to 1/3 what Lexus charges.

It may be the case that on the 96, the key doesn't have a transponder chip, but I'm fairly certain it does. Maybe someone else can chime in?

The closest Lexus dealer is 300 miles from my home. I needed an ignition key made for my 97 es 300 so I took the master key to a local locksmith and he used a Toyota blank to make one for me. It worked fine.....only has Toyota printed on the key instead of Lexus but for $28 bucks figured it was worth it. Also, obtained a key fob from e-bay for around 20-25 dollars and used info from this forum to program it and that worked too. I must live right.