More Rx Speed

mers91

Does anybody have any advice at all on how to make my 2001 RX300 AWD any faster? I've wondered if it would be at all possible to get straight pipes or turbo charge it or something else. Thanks

First thing is to disable the ECU that artificially limits speed.

Next you need to trade the RX in for something that is reasonably safe to drive, for you and OTHERS, above the RXes speed limiter.

Or you could always FOOL the RXes speed limiter by installing "outsized" wheels and tires.

The RX series is the furthest thing on the road from a performance vehicle....

Fuggitaboutit....

Thanks for the advice on a new car, but I like my RX and I just want some tips on how to make this one faster :D

Do you actually mean QUICKER, as in FAST acceleration...???

It's hard for me, even having spent years in MT before speed limits, to imagine anyone wanting to drive an RX faster than the factory set speed limit.

• 11 months later...

Some advice before you consider making it go faster. Do something about the poor handling. the stock car is marginal at the 180KPH limited speed (mine is in Malaysia where the speed is KPH and we drive on the wrong side of the road). What I found works well and does not kill the pocket book is to do the following.

Replace the struts allaround with KYB GR-2 units or Koni or Boilstein.

Replace all tie rod ends, ball joints, and mechnaical moving parts in the suspension.

Replace the Bushings with PU units. The old ones are very soft and die after a few years.

Buy better brake pads

Replace the 16" wheels with 8 x 18" wheels, mount 255-45x18 tires, check Tirerack.com for what appeals to you.

Do this and your car will feel much better at speed. A bit more stiff, but controlled. Mine is vmuch better than stock and handles nicely at about 150-160 KPH (90-100 MPH)

Now on to power. Sadly not much out there that is widely available. You can do the intake and exhaust for some improvement but to get it to go faster you need to flow more air. that means things like cams, valves, HC pistons, higher RPM limit.

OR

Find someone to turbo it. I haven't found anyone yet, but have not given up hope since the camry has the same basic engine.

Good liuck.

There is a gentleman on the Club Lexus site that has done drag racing, but as said there are not a lot of mods available. He experimented a lot with exhaust and intake....Try Lexmex on this site:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx300-forum-182/

Does anybody have any advice at all on how to make my 2001 RX300 AWD any faster? I've wondered if it would be at all possible to get straight pipes or turbo charge it or something else. Thanks

At the end of the day, you will have an RX300 that still handles too soft and still doesn't scorch the pavement. Even if you can manage to get a bunch of power out of the motor, the trans is barely strong enough for the weight of the vehicle as it is.

Save your money and get something else if you need more power.

The RX is a horrible platform to modify for speed. It is not designed for this purpose.