Cleaning And Maintenance Of New Es350

By the way, what did you use on your Panoramic roof?

Lol! It does not have a panoramic roof, it is just that I keep the paint in a mirror like condition. I can probably shave with it. If you have a panoramic roof, I would just use a good glass cleaner and a couple of high quality MF towels. I recommend Meguiar NXT Glass Cleaner, which you can get from autogeek. The best MF towel for glass that I have come across is this one at Pakshak.com http://store.pakshak.com/waffle-weave-micr...el-16x16-1.html

Thanks detaildoc!!!! This is what I have to get in shape. This is when I first bought it in Dec. It is alot dirtier now but I hope to return it to this after your help!!!

Looks nice. Is that obsidian? Just FYI, that color is a single stage paint and no clearcoat, yes, no clearcoat. I don't know why Lexus did not put a cleacoat on that color. That means you have to be extra careful when polishing and make sure not to use a too aggressive polish/pad combo. On the plus side, nothing looks better than a properly detailed black.

Yep, Obsidian. No clearcoat huh?? Phew, didn't know that. I don't plan to polish it anytime soon. I plan to wash and dry and then wax with a carnouba wax (I lean toward paste not the liquid but I guess they are the same). I may clay it (as you suggested in an earlier post) if I "feel" that it needs it come April. And, as you have advised, clay it before I dry and wax the car after washing (hey I do listen to you!). Thanks!

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a difference between the liquid and the paste waxes. I always prefer the paste waxes because the liquid waxes although easier to apply they tend to mute the flakes on metallic paint, you know, those tiny shiny spots on the paint. When that happens, they won't show as much, and in my opinion, the flakes make the car look better. I recommend P21s100% as it will make the flakes pop even more. Pinnacle is also nice, but IMO, not worth the price since durability is terrible, about 2 weeks.

Looks nice. Is that obsidian? Just FYI, that color is a single stage paint and no clearcoat, yes, no clearcoat. I don't know why Lexus did not put a cleacoat on that color. That means you have to be extra careful when polishing and make sure not to use a too aggressive polish/pad combo. On the plus side, nothing looks better than a properly detailed black.

Lexus has almost always used a single stage black. They went to a clearcoated black for a few years from 01-06 or so but went back to single stage.

I actually VASTLY prefer the single stage black. Its SO easy to polish out and correct. Look at old well maintained black Lexuses and compare them to other older black cars, the single stage paint can be corrected so easily and really made to look great.

Lexus has almost always used a single stage black. They went to a clearcoated black for a few years from 01-06 or so but went back to single stage.

TLY prefer the single stage black. Its SO easy to polish out and correct. Look at old well maintained black Lexuses and compare them to other older black cars, the single stage paint can be corrected so easily and really made to look great.

I agree. One just has to be very careful about not removing too much paint or burning through it.

I am around the Toronto/Canada area. Can anyone recommend a location, either a store or online that is in my neck-of-the-woods. Also, for cleaning the leather (cashmere/tan) I read in this group to use Woolite that was diluted. I have checked and can only find 'Zero' by Woolite, and I don't think this is what was recommended - is there something else with similar results?

I agree. One just has to be very careful about not removing too much paint or burning through it.

Only if you're using a rotary.

Even so, no need to worry about the clear and the color coat is as thick as both clear and color coats on the clearcoated cars...

I am around the Toronto/Canada area. Can anyone recommend a location, either a store or online that is in my neck-of-the-woods. Also, for cleaning the leather (cashmere/tan) I read in this group to use Woolite that was diluted. I have checked and can only find 'Zero' by Woolite, and I don't think this is what was recommended - is there something else with similar results?

You can use "Dreft".

Oops forgot...what is P21s100%?

A paste wax. You can get it here: http://www.autogeek.net/p21s-100--carnauba-wax.html

Thanks again detaildoc! But you know, you got my wife mad at me!!! She saw my bill for all the car detailing stuff and went ballistic (of course she said I was never going to use it....as she put on her 50th pair of shoes to go out shopping for more shoes!....ha ha). I told her that "hey, I will used it...but maybe only once!" ha! :-)

Hey thanks SW03ES for the expertise...I was a little worried there for a minute!

Oops forgot...what is P21s100%?

A paste wax. You can get it here: http://www.autogeek.net/p21s-100--carnauba-wax.html

Thanks again detaildoc! But you know, you got my wife mad at me!!! She saw my bill for all the car detailing stuff and went ballistic (of course she said I was never going to use it....as she put on her 50th pair of shoes to go out shopping for more shoes!....ha ha). I told her that "hey, I will used it...but maybe only once!" ha! :-)

Hey thanks SW03ES for the expertise...I was a little worried there for a minute!

Lol! We've all been there. My wife is now fully desensitized to my addiction to detailing. :D

Ok, one more question (I probably will have more...sorry)....is the Sonus cockpit cleaner/total eclipse cleaners ok for the wood inside my ES or is something special I should consider? Also, is there anything special I should use on my front grill and things like that on the outside (not sure if it is chrome or not....whatever an 08 ES350 UL would have)? Thanks!

Ok, one more question (I probably will have more...sorry)....is the Sonus cockpit cleaner/total eclipse cleaners ok for the wood inside my ES or is something special I should consider? Also, is there anything special I should use on my front grill and things like that on the outside (not sure if it is chrome or not....whatever an 08 ES350 UL would have)? Thanks!

Those are meant more for vinyl, plastic, and rubber surfaces (even leather, but I prefer the dedicated products for that). For the wood I just use a damp microfiber towel. I strongly recommend you get the Ultima Interior Guard Plus, which you can use on every surface inside your vehicle, including the wood. It is a sealant that adds significant protection and which I apply once a month. For the front grill and all outside trim (plastic, chrome, rubber), I use Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus once a month. It will add protection and a nice gloss to all trim. I wash my car every weekend, and my monthly regimen for the interior is as follows:

1. Vacuum carpets with the Metro Vac http://www.autogeek.net/vacnbloporva.html : Every week

2. Sonus Cockpit Detailer for all interior except leather, wood and Navigation screen - Every week

3. Clean wood and Navigation screen with a damp MF towel: Every week

4. Clean all glass with Meguiars NXT: Every week

5. Clean leather with damp MF towel: Every week except if doing #6 that week.

6. Clean leather with Sonus Leather cleaner, condition leather with Sonus Leather Conditioner, then protect leather with Leather Master Protection Cream http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?P...&ProdID=198 : 1x month

7. Clean carpets with Ultima Interior Shampoo + 303 Carpet Stain Remover if necessary: 1 x month or as needed

8. Seal entire interior (dash, wood, all vinyl and plastic areas, carpets, but excluding navigation screen) with Ultima Interior Guard Plus: 1 x month

Note: You can also seal the leather with the Ultima Interior Guard Plus instead of using leather master. It will leave your leather super soft like cashmere. You can use either process or combine them.

Thanks. And I know you will get tired of me, so it's ok if you don't reply. I have the perforated leather (heated and cooled seats)...is the leather cleaner/conditioner ok for this or should I use a Lexol or other leather cleaner/conditioner? I don't want to plug the holes in the seats with cleaner/conditioner...thanks again!

Thanks. And I know you will get tired of me, so it's ok if you don't reply. I have the perforated leather (heated and cooled seats)...is the leather cleaner/conditioner ok for this or should I use a Lexol or other leather cleaner/conditioner? I don't want to plug the holes in the seats with cleaner/conditioner...thanks again!

No problem, ask me any questions you'd like. Detailing is my favorite hobby, so I really enjoy discussing this topic. Let me revise something I said in my previous post. You can use cockpit detailer on wood and it will provide some UV protection, but if you do use it, I recommend that after it has dried you wipe it with a damp MF towel as it will leave some streaking on the wood. Sonus leather cleaner and conditioner are excellent for perforated leather and IMO, one of the best for this type of leather. It won't clog the seats at all.

No problem, ask me any questions you'd like. Detailing is my favorite hobby, so I really enjoy discussing this topic. Let me revise something I said in my previous post. You can use cockpit detailer on wood and it will provide some UV protection, but if you do use it, I recommend that after it has dried you wipe it with a damp MF towel as it will leave some streaking on the wood. Sonus leather cleaner and conditioner are excellent for perforated leather and IMO, one of the best for this type of leather. It won't clog the seats at all.

Thanks, I really do appreciate your help (by the way, what is IMO...I know this is a stupid question but I have seen it alot and have been dying to ask!). Happy Easter!

Thanks, I really do appreciate your help (by the way, what is IMO...I know this is a stupid question but I have seen it alot and have been dying to ask!). Happy Easter!

Happy Easter to you too.

IMO = In my opinion

detaildoc, just an update. I bit the bullet and ordered my first detailing supplies. Thanks for all your help...you da man! Here is the list below (I combined some things into the autopia buy to get the 15% off of $150 or more...gee did I say $150...omg, my wife is definitely going to kill me...plus I used her credit card...oh well, one or two more nights in the doghouse! ha ha). :cries:

I decided I am going to do the sealant as you can see (Ultima Paint Guard Plus)...but I am not ready for the clay yet. Plus, I am going to do my wife's car first to test all this out (see where I am going with this....show her how nice her car will look...of course I want to screw up her car before I touch my baby..what's a few more days in the doghouse OR I can get out if I pull this off!!!!!) :whistles:

Pinnacle Wheel & Tire Kit

Bucket w/Grit Guard

Ultima Paint Guard Wash

Lowes Grout Sponge

Sonus Vision Glass & Plastic Cleaner

Cobra Microfiber Glass Towel

P21s-100 Carnauba Wax

Microfiber Towels - Pack of 3

Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel 2-pack

Sonus Cockpit Cleaner Bundle

Ultima Interior Guard Plus

Ultima Detail Spray

Ultima Paint Guard Plus

Thanks again for all your help (and just so you don't worry, I never mentioned your name!!! She would find you!)..haha. Hey if you see any issues here, don't hesitate to yell and correct me!!! Didn't start on the cars yet!

JGT thanks for pointing me here. I am leaving in 15 minutes to go get my new 350! of Course where I am in Long Island we are hearing on news 3 days rain.ugggg

LEt me know how all your stuff works JGT. What are u using to wash it with? Iw as thinking of getting this

http://www.amazon.com/HomeRight-C800477-Au...cm_cr_pr_sims_i

any other suggestions (My wife has SUV so I need a large handle/telescoping type)

cheers all!

detaildoc, just an update. I bit the bullet and ordered my first detailing supplies. Thanks for all your help...you da man! Here is the list below (I combined some things into the autopia buy to get the 15% off of $150 or more...gee did I say $150...omg, my wife is definitely going to kill me...plus I used her credit card...oh well, one or two more nights in the doghouse! ha ha). :cries:

I decided I am going to do the sealant as you can see (Ultima Paint Guard Plus)...but I am not ready for the clay yet. Plus, I am going to do my wife's car first to test all this out (see where I am going with this....show her how nice her car will look...of course I want to screw up her car before I touch my baby..what's a few more days in the doghouse OR I can get out if I pull this off!!!!!) :whistles:

Pinnacle Wheel & Tire Kit

Bucket w/Grit Guard

Ultima Paint Guard Wash

Lowes Grout Sponge

Sonus Vision Glass & Plastic Cleaner

Cobra Microfiber Glass Towel

P21s-100 Carnauba Wax

Microfiber Towels - Pack of 3

Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel 2-pack

Sonus Cockpit Cleaner Bundle

Ultima Interior Guard Plus

Ultima Detail Spray

Ultima Paint Guard Plus

Thanks again for all your help (and just so you don't worry, I never mentioned your name!!! She would find you!)..haha. Hey if you see any issues here, don't hesitate to yell and correct me!!! Didn't start on the cars yet!

JGT thanks for pointing me here. I am leaving in 15 minutes to go get my new 350! of Course where I am in Long Island we are hearing on news 3 days rain.ugggg

LEt me know how all your stuff works JGT. What are u using to wash it with? Iw as thinking of getting this

http://www.amazon.com/HomeRight-C800477-Au...cm_cr_pr_sims_i

any other suggestions (My wife has SUV so I need a large handle/telescoping type)

cheers all!

Hey rjt65 glad I could help but it is SW03ES and detaildoc that deserve all the credit in getting me to a point where I felt comfortable in buying all this stuff!

By the way, good luck in picking up the car!!!! Don't forget to post some pics, it is easy to reply to this and UPLOAD your pics!!! If I can do it, anyone can!

Hey for the washing, I am using the Ultima Paint Guard Wash with a Lowes Proline Tile & Grout sponge (which is in the cleaning aisle at Lowes not in the tile/grout aisle). Then I am going to use the Pinnacle Wheel/Tire Cleaning kit. Once I dry the car (with the Der Wunder Drying towell), I am going to use the Ultima Paint Guard Sealant, let it cure and then use the P21s-100 carnauba wax (using all microfiber towels). Again, detaildoc and SW03ES along with a few others paved the way for me! By the way, I looked at the hog hair brush from Pinnacle but over $50 didn't turn me on for that...but it appeared to be ok. detaildoc or SW03ES, any advice here for rtj65?

I would like to thank all 3 of you as this is gr8 stuff.

A ton of stuff. Spent the last hour perusing and copying the info into a word doc to than peruse and make my detailing bible.

Put 30 miles on it today/tonight. Love it!!!!!!

When the sun comes out again I will take some pix.

What does everyone think about the California duster? I had charcoal colored Nissan years ago and my recent Maxima (Gold sand) this was great for quick cleaning off of dust on the exterior, especially the spring pollen and dust.

ciao

One other ? for detail doc if you do not mind. For all the cleaning is it ok to do it on a new car? or how soon before using sealants or wax should one wait?

One other ? for detail doc if you do not mind. For all the cleaning is it ok to do it on a new car? or how soon before using sealants or wax should one wait?

I am doing it to my new car (bought it in Dec but with the winter here in PA, could not detail it)....however, I would have done it to mine if it brand new and was in the summer.

I read alot of people like the California duster....I just don't know though....with all I read about using the proper car wash, and sealant and use microfiber towels all to avoid scratching, I would think the CA duster would scratch the paint. But again, I am not the expert. I hope detaildoc can help or SW03ES...they are "da men"! B)

by the way, I will try to attach my excel spreadsheet to this. now please, a disclaimer here, I don't own stock or don't do this for a living so it is just what I put together for me since I don't plan on making detailing my life (plus I am not going to do it every week....can't with the job and life....). So for your use only and use it at your risk (gee, I feel like I am a NFL broadcast here...."...without the expressed written consent of the NFL..ha ha). Ooops, can't upload it; I guess we can upload an excel spreadsheet here...sorry!

Hey how much did you spend in total? I am ordering similar (some changes) and am over 230$ :o already on Autopia. (still need bucket and sponge, maybe one or 2 applicator sponges inside)

What coupon code did u use?

cheers

I am doing it to my new car (bought it in Dec but with the winter here in PA, could not detail it)....however, I would have done it to mine if it brand new and was in the summer.

I read alot of people like the California duster....I just don't know though....with all I read about using the proper car wash, and sealant and use microfiber towels all to avoid scratching, I would think the CA duster would scratch the paint. But again, I am not the expert. I hope detaildoc can help or SW03ES...they are "da men"! B)

by the way, I will try to attach my excel spreadsheet to this. now please, a disclaimer here, I don't own stock or don't do this for a living so it is just what I put together for me since I don't plan on making detailing my life (plus I am not going to do it every week....can't with the job and life....). So for your use only and use it at your risk (gee, I feel like I am a NFL broadcast here...."...without the expressed written consent of the NFL..ha ha). Ooops, can't upload it; I guess we can upload an excel spreadsheet here...sorry!

Hey how much did you spend in total? I am ordering similar (some changes) and am over 230$ already on Autopia. (still need bucket and sponge, maybe one or 2 applicator sponges inside)

cheers

Hey rtj65, I went to 3 different sites; autopia (over $150 so I used the 15% off code), pinnacle ($70), and autogeek (included the bucket - $70). Yep, that is why my wife put me in the doghouse. Hey, you only live once...and the doghouse is as good as any place...lol!

:lol: HaHa is the doghouse a duplex? Spent $230 than sent email in to add the Sonus derwunder mf wash mitt onto it so like 240$$ and i still need the bucket

I iwll have to build a section onto the house formy cleaning supplies.

Hey how much did you spend in total? I am ordering similar (some changes) and am over 230$ already on Autopia. (still need bucket and sponge, maybe one or 2 applicator sponges inside)

cheers

Hey rtj65, I went to 3 different sites; autopia (over $150 so I used the 15% off code), pinnacle ($70), and autogeek (included the bucket - $70). Yep, that is why my wife put me in the doghouse. Hey, you only live once...and the doghouse is as good as any place...lol!