Cleaning And Maintenance Of New Es350

Gee, sorry I started this post. But, you all have to take responsibility for yourselves here!!!! :) But ddoc and SW03 got us all hooked if you ask me. I should have bought stock in Autopia or Pashak!!!! <_< Oh well! But it is fun kind of...even though I spent 1 1/2 doing the detail thing (just the outside with the UPGP). Looks great but one downside to this, you see every paint chip and nick! Argh! :angry: Keep up the great post. Hey SW03ES monitor...is this the best post going or what!!! Whew, who would have thunk!!!!

Don't be sorry, I'm very glad you started it! Like I said before, I had always wanted to detail my car but felt overwhelmed before when I tried to learn about it. It sounds so stupid now. I think I have picked up a decent beginner's understanding and I don't know why I felt that way before. This thread made me feel much more comfortable as the position that you were in months ago is what I was in a couple of weeks ago.

I've read this thread through 3 times now and everytime I do, I pick up a few things that I missed before. The best thing about it is that since you guys have been going back and forth with the discussions for months now, I don't have to wait for answers, they're already there.

One order arrives Wednesday, the other arrives Friday! The funny thing is that even though I've never done a single detailing myself in my life, I'm already getting requests from friends to do their cars. Hmmm, maybe I should practice my skills on their cars first and THEN do mine ;)

That is great. That is how most pro detailers start. First they do their car, then family, then friends, then all of a sudden you are getting paid a little money, then you increase your skills and confidence then you start charging more, etc. Next thing you know, you got a nice little extra income on the side, so you can blow it all in more detailing supplies. :P

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanna say 'thank you' to all those contributed to this thread. I've had my '08 ES350 for about 2 months now (obsidian with tan interior). This is my first black car, and didn't realized how little I know about car detailing, or even something as simple as washing and drying. Only thing I knew was wash, dry, and wax. Microfiber? PC? Sealant? WW? GLAZE??? The only glaze I know was that on a donut! I'm opened to a whole new world...the detailing world! B)

Just wanna say 'thank you' to all those contributed to this thread. I've had my '08 ES350 for about 2 months now (obsidian with tan interior). This is my first black car, and didn't realized how little I know about car detailing, or even something as simple as washing and drying. Only thing I knew was wash, dry, and wax. Microfiber? PC? Sealant? WW? GLAZE??? The only glaze I know was that on a donut! I'm opened to a whole new world...the detailing world! B)

Welcomed! Haha, a black car, SUCKER! :P I am way to OCD to have a black car, any little scratch or dirt shows very easily. Like someone else said, "black is not a color, it is a part-time job." Nothing looks better though than a well polished black car. Hey, I'm in Riverside, which part of LA are you from?

Welcome to the thread--- I copied a lot from here and the links and pother threads into a car clean word doc--over 50 pages!

Glad to see you went with Obsidian Black, I also have the black interior JGTLEx-(thread founder-starter) has same Black on Black as me!

and DDOC--no pain no gain... viva le Black!!!!

gotta go dust my car off....

Boy, rtj and all of you that have dark colored cars take them to where I work you would all go rabid,bonkers and a few other crazy words. :wacko:

Just driving in gets the car dirty.

I've managed to keep sane by convincing myself to just wash on weekends.

I work from home (telecommuter) and at time have my PC on front stoop phone (bouhgt PC shade so can use pc outside) with headset out there and am washing and working!

OCD...maybe.... :wacko:

Boy, rtj and all of you that have dark colored cars take them to where I work you would all go rabid,bonkers and a few other crazy words. :wacko:

Just driving in gets the car dirty.

I've managed to keep sane by convincing myself to just wash on weekends.

Hey, black car owners Rock! Hey, ddoc is just jealous...no, he and Steve (SW) are the ones that made this post so successful! And ddoc is right...nothing as cool as a well polished BLACK car and when you see how the Ultima Paint Guard Plus looks on your vehicle and how easy it is...phew! My friends said my car looked like glass/mirror....cool huh! Welcome to the post!

Hello, Newbie on this board... Just wondering ... detaildoc, do you do house calls? .... San Diego area? So much to learn from you and others. My goal is to get my 2006 400h looking like new until it croaks. My definition ---> "Like New" = glassy, shiny, slick.

Right now, I only have ONE waterless carwash (chemicalguys.com) for exterior and Meguire's leather cleaner/conditioner for interior. Sometimes I take out the Cali-duster.

Gawd, I'm so new to this detailing stuff. I used to <gasp!> go to those quickie auto carwash/detailing centers and wonder where da heck all the Lexus cars are!

BTW, I think I'm the only WOMAN on this board. *eeeeeeekkkk* just be gentle.... :o

Hello, Newbie on this board... Just wondering ... detaildoc, do you do house calls? .... San Diego area? So much to learn from you and others. My goal is to get my 2006 400h looking like new until it croaks. My definition ---> "Like New" = glassy, shiny, slick.

Right now, I only have ONE waterless carwash (chemicalguys.com) for exterior and Meguire's leather cleaner/conditioner for interior. Sometimes I take out the Cali-duster.

Gawd, I'm so new to this detailing stuff. I used to <gasp!> go to those quickie auto carwash/detailing centers and wonder where da heck all the Lexus cars are!

BTW, I think I'm the only WOMAN on this board. *eeeeeeekkkk* just be gentle.... :o

Yes I do and actually I will be in San Diego next Thursday July 31 for a morning meeting and then I was planning on maybe staying there to go visit some friends on Friday. I'd be happy to set something up with you. Just sent you a PM.

Thanks everyone! (including JT LexusOwner & of course, detaildoc) detaildoc, you gave me some great advice on starting out. I'm gonna order my first clay bar, Ultima wash, and UPGP from autopia!!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!! :lol:

Thanks everyone! (including JT LexusOwner & of course, detaildoc) detaildoc, you gave me some great advice on starting out. I'm gonna order my first clay bar, Ultima wash, and UPGP from autopia!!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!! :lol:

You're welcome. Like I said though, do not clay unless you are going to polish by machine because the claying will induce scratches on your soft Lexus clearcoat. Oh, you can get clay magic at any local autozone or other auto parts store.

DDOC and all:

Autopia is gr8! Maybe can find a few dollars less from other sites.. But the cust svce --unbelievable. I created an initial order and got the 15% off as I was in the 250$ range...than wanted to add an mf mitt--sent and email than remembered need a foam interior applicator added that via email...next AM had 2 emails stating they were added and with my 15% discount was applied to these adds.

Should be here Friday.

So after reading more posts from the G.O.D. 's on clay polishing, and the detailing guides on guide on autopia.org i placed another order for green clay, more mf towels, and another foam applicator for the sonus paintwork cleanser. another 50$

Clicked on the online chat operator and asked her (Lynn the same gr8 rep who handled my emails) if they would give me the 15% discount --she did and fixed a problem with my mailing address i did not notice when i submitted the order.

Great customer service thanks for the site!

I second the sentiment re: customer service. I had ordered the SFX-2 but had forgotten to order the SFX-3 and only realized this once I rec'd my shipment. I sent Lynn an email and asked her if I would have to pay the shipping or if she would be able to just ship it with a nozzle that I originally purchased that was on backorder. Not only did she waive the shipping charge, but she took off another 25% because she had just put up a 24 hour sale on the Sonus SFX line. (LINK). She mentioned, "We are a small company so I wear a lot of hats (I am actually the only employee) and it is much easier to treat people how I like to be treated." I thought that kind of customer service was long lost! Lynn is awesome!

You're welcome. Like I said though, do not clay unless you are going to polish by machine because the claying will induce scratches on your soft Lexus clearcoat. Oh, you can get clay magic at any local autozone or other auto parts store.

As usual, great advice ddoc! Do you recommend that I get the Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaner instead of the clay bar? Do I still have to machine polish after the UEPC?

As usual, great advice ddoc! Do you recommend that I get the Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaner instead of the clay bar? Do I still have to machine polish after the UEPC?

No, forget the Elastrofoam Paint Cleaner. It is a terrible product. It does not remove contaminants as well, it is hard and messy to use and yes, it will still leave swirls on your paint, so yes you will need to polish.

• 5 months later...
Thanks Detaildoc. Phew, I feel like a virgin out here. What does ONR stand for? Is the Lowes Grout sponge for washing or drying the car? Sorry but I didn't realize the aspects of car detailing (or what I used to call washing and waxing my car). Of course when you go from a Pontiac Bonneville to a Lexus, I guess I better learn if I want to keep my black Lexus looking good!

I would appreciate a "Car Detailing 101" if you have the time sometime. Not only to exterior washing and waxing, but also what to use on my Lexus UL wheels (I used something on my Bonneville wheels and they never looked the same...don't want to do that again). And, also for the inside (I am looking into the swiffer and try to work the dash that way and with a wet cloth), but what about the leather (black perforated Lexus leather).

Anything you can do to help is greatly appreciated. Looks like I have alot to learn! Even if you don't have time to reply to this, I appreciate the reply you did post. Thanks again!

ONR = Optimum No Rinse. The Grout Sponge from Lowes is for washing your car. It is ultra soft and won't cause swirl marks. For the leather, I strongly recommend Sonus leather cleaner and conditioner, which you get from autopia. It is great, very mild and effective and actually brings back the new leather scent instead of using heavy perfumes to create a temporary effect. Below is a list of products that I use to maintain my vehicle (these are the actual links). Forget the swiffer, not for the interior or exterior as it can scratch. Lexus has ultra soft clearcoat and it is easy for low quality products to scratch it. When washing, always use a two bucket system, one with the shampoo and the other for with water to rinse out your sponge. Wash one panel at a time and then rinse out your sponge in the rinse bucket then put it back in the shampoo bucket for more suds. Never wash or dry in circular motion, always in a straight line. When drying, it is better to blot dry (patting the paint with the towel) rather than the traditional way. Drying is where most of the scratching takes place. Never use a microfiber towel from an autoparts store or walmart, kmart, etc. Not all MF towels are created equal. Those are not of a good blend of fibers and are guaranteed to scratch your paint. Technique is the other half of effective maintenance. There is a lot that goes into it, you can read a lot more here: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html. Read all the articles, they will instruct you well. The other part of maintenance is learning to remove swirl marks effectively and safely by polishing with a dual action machine such as the Ultimate Detailing Machine. These articles and the autopia forum will be very useful to learn more about it. STAY AWAY FROM CAR WASHES AND DEALER CAR WASHES AND DEFINITELY DON'T EVER RUN YOU CAR THROUGH THOSE MECHANICAL CAR WASHES AT THE GAS STATIONS.

shampoo: Ultima Paint Guard Wash http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-5022.html

Sponge: Lowes Grout Sponge by Proline: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

drying towel: The Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-dwdt-2.html

wheels: Sonus Tire & Wheel Care Kit http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-wheel-kit.html

leather: Sonus leather cleaner and conditioner with the Sonus Applicator http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-600-610.html

Interior (dashboard, vinyl): Sonus Cockpit detailer and Sonus Total Eclipse: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-600-610.html and http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-700.html

Paint Protection: Ultima Paint Guard Plus: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-1004-100.html

If you purchase from them, use the coupon "autopia" for a 10% discount. Their customer service is excellent, you will be very happy with them.

Great info! Thanks.

Any recommendation for the polishing/protecting of the interior wood paneling?

I've always just used lemon pledge.

Does the pledge have any protecting characteristics? I bought mine used, but the wood looks dull and feels a bit rough. I was wondering if there was some way to buff it to bring back the shine, as well as protect it.

Everything i have read talks about vinyl and plastic...

• 3 weeks later...

very slight, its an oil based sealer.

You can clay, polish, and wax the wood just like the paint on your car. The wood is sealed under a clearcoat. I would reccomend trying Plast-X or something like that, then go to Plexus, then finish it up with the pledge and see what you get...