Cleaning And Maintenance Of New Es350

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those two are great products, and probably much more easily accessible than mine. I use the rightlook.com "polymer paint sealant" at my detail shop, I had it last upwards of 9 months on my old car with no problems. Great product, but it'd probably be a lot easier to go buy a very similar product than wait for one to ship! :D

Also for normal waxes I've had good results with Meguiar's NXT products, and Zymol. (If you can only buy from an "autozone" type store)

I'm not a fan of sealants on anything but light colored cars. To me they look too plasticky, I like the depth of a carnuaba.

Agree, however, if you top Zaino or Ultima with Z8 (which I do) you end up with the warm look of a nuba. Somehow, Z8 adds the depth and warmth of a nuba. You can also top the sealant with nuba and enjoy the look of the nuba while still having the long term protection of the sealant underneath. I sometimes top Ultima with some P21s100%.

I'm not a fan of sealants on anything but light colored cars. To me they look too plasticky, I like the depth of a carnuaba.

Agree, however, if you top Zaino or Ultima with Z8 (which I do) you end up with the warm look of a nuba. Somehow, Z8 adds the depth and warmth of a nuba. You can also top the sealant with nuba and enjoy the look of the nuba while still having the long term protection of the sealant underneath. I sometimes top Ultima with some P21s100%.

I agree, but when you wax regularly like me, are you really getting any added protection for the effort from the Zaino?

You guys are too good!!!! My head is spinning! Whew! But, man, I have learned alot. And, I am afraid to ask another question, but I am assuming that I should wax the car first and then put on a paint sealant?

I sometime wonder if I should have had the dealer do the TMZ for me at $400.... But I kept hearing from Consumer Reports or others that it wasn't worth it. Oh well, but at least with all of your expertise and help, I can have some fun on my own! Thanks again!

You guys are too good!!!! My head is spinning! Whew! But, man, I have learned alot. And, I am afraid to ask another question, but I am assuming that I should wax the car first and then put on a paint sealant?

I sometime wonder if I should have had the dealer do the TMZ for me at $400.... But I kept hearing from Consumer Reports or others that it wasn't worth it. Oh well, but at least with all of your expertise and help, I can have some fun on my own! Thanks again!

You don't have to do both. Some people prefer the look of a sealant, others the look of a wax. Other, such as myself, prefer the look of both combined. Experiment and see for yourself. However, if you choose to combine, you need to apply the sealant first, then top it with the wax. The reason for this is that sealants need a clean surface free of oils in order to bond to the paint. If you apply the wax first, the sealant won't bond, so it won't last. Sealants actually bond to your paint, while waxes stay on top of the paint. So sealant first, then wax.

And you made the right decision to skip the dealer's paint sealant. For one, its a ripoff, and for two anytime they touch your paint they will destroy it.

From now on tell 'em to skip the wash when its in for service ;)

And you made the right decision to skip the dealer's paint sealant. For one, its a ripoff, and for two anytime they touch your paint they will destroy it.

From now on tell 'em to skip the wash when its in for service ;)

yea but it is an Toyota approved product as monarch would push! LOL

Thanks! Again, you guys are great!!!! I am looking forward to the spring so I can try some of this stuff out. I think I am going to get the Pinnacle wheel cleaning kit and their bucket (I am definitely doing a 2 bucket system! I plan to use their bucket for the "dirty water" part because of the grate at the bottom)). Then, I think I may do the Ultima product for the body shampoo. Definitely going to use the grout sponge from Lowes' to wash the car with as some of you suggested. And I still have to decide between sealant and wax (I am used to the carnouba wax and like the look...I have never tried a sealant before so I am leaning to the wax...I like paste wax over the liquid I think). I was thinking of the boar's head long handle brush to clean the roof with (I have a panoramic glass roof so I think this should be ok). One thing that I don't think I will ever try is the clay bar....something about this "scares" me. I want to do my Lexus somewhat professional (maybe not to you guys' expertise). But since I used some off the shelf product on my last new car (Black Bonneville) wheels and it really messed them up...I just don't want that to happen to my Lexus (gee, I did step up huh...Pontiac to a Lexus...whew! ha ha). Thanks again!!!!

Thanks! Again, you guys are great!!!! I am looking forward to the spring so I can try some of this stuff out. I think I am going to get the Pinnacle wheel cleaning kit and their bucket (I am definitely doing a 2 bucket system! I plan to use their bucket for the "dirty water" part because of the grate at the bottom)). Then, I think I may do the Ultima product for the body shampoo. Definitely going to use the grout sponge from Lowes' to wash the car with as some of you suggested. And I still have to decide between sealant and wax (I am used to the carnouba wax and like the look...I have never tried a sealant before so I am leaning to the wax...I like paste wax over the liquid I think). I was thinking of the boar's head long handle brush to clean the roof with (I have a panoramic glass roof so I think this should be ok). One thing that I don't think I will ever try is the clay bar....something about this "scares" me. I want to do my Lexus somewhat professional (maybe not to you guys' expertise). But since I used some off the shelf product on my last new car (Black Bonneville) wheels and it really messed them up...I just don't want that to happen to my Lexus (gee, I did step up huh...Pontiac to a Lexus...whew! ha ha). Thanks again!!!!

Good for you, sounds like you are heading on the right direction. If you try the Sonus Green Clay from Autopia with their lubricant you will be fine. It is very mild and won't marr the paint. If you decide to clay, make sure you wash the car first and it is completely clean. For added protection, don't dry it yet, leave it wet so that the water and the lubricant together add more lubricity.

Good for you, sounds like you are heading on the right direction. If you try the Sonus Green Clay from Autopia with their lubricant you will be fine. It is very mild and won't marr the paint. If you decide to clay, make sure you wash the car first and it is completely clean. For added protection, don't dry it yet, leave it wet so that the water and the lubricant together add more lubricity.

Thanks detaildoc! Maybe when I get some experience, I will go for it!

detaildoc, you da man!!!! Whew, looks good! I am going to start in a few weeks. My car looks like heck after these first few winter months...but getting ready for the spring. Looks like you are ready!!!!

Thanks! I put a lot of effort into it. It is a hobby for me and it really relaxes me. Yeah, it is hard to keep a car looking nice during the winter. I am looking forward to the spring myself.

By the way, what did you use on your Panoramic roof?

Lol! It does not have a panoramic roof, it is just that I keep the paint in a mirror like condition. I can probably shave with it. If you have a panoramic roof, I would just use a good glass cleaner and a couple of high quality MF towels. I recommend Meguiar NXT Glass Cleaner, which you can get from autogeek. The best MF towel for glass that I have come across is this one at Pakshak.com http://store.pakshak.com/waffle-weave-micr...el-16x16-1.html

Lol! It does not have a panoramic roof, it is just that I keep the paint in a mirror like condition. I can probably shave with it. If you have a panoramic roof, I would just use a good glass cleaner and a couple of high quality MF towels. I recommend Meguiar NXT Glass Cleaner, which you can get from autogeek. The best MF towel for glass that I have come across is this one at Pakshak.com http://store.pakshak.com/waffle-weave-micr...el-16x16-1.html

Thanks detaildoc!!!! This is what I have to get in shape. This is when I first bought it in Dec. It is alot dirtier now but I hope to return it to this after your help!!!

post-63079-1205697789_thumb.jpg

Thanks detaildoc!!!! This is what I have to get in shape. This is when I first bought it in Dec. It is alot dirtier now but I hope to return it to this after your help!!!

Looks nice. Is that obsidian? Just FYI, that color is a single stage paint and no clearcoat, yes, no clearcoat. I don't know why Lexus did not put a cleacoat on that color. That means you have to be extra careful when polishing and make sure not to use a too aggressive polish/pad combo. On the plus side, nothing looks better than a properly detailed black.