Cleaning And Maintenance Of New Es350

Hey AZ08: Did u detail yet the exterior? any Pix? would Like to see the smokey Granite

cheers

How about the dash on the passenger side? It is made of this rubberized finish that seems to scuff awfully easily. Any advice on how to clean/repair this?

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DDOC A ? on Wheel care kits

I see Sonus and pinnacle kits (2 bottles each cleaner and gel 16 oz each i think), sonus one brush Pinnacle 2, Sonus one sponge applicator Pinnacle 2)

but it still seems like a lot $45 for 2 bottles @ 16 oz, y r these superior to other tire cleaners/dressings? What about p21s tire cleaners gels, mothers, Optimum tire shine, etc.

Wheel waxing, Si or no ?

I use the EZ brush and the OXO Tire & Wheel Brush with UPGP. When things get really nasty, I spray the wheels first with Sonus Rim Bright. I have not tried those other products. I seal the wheels and tires with Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus V2 (in the 3 oz bottle). I do 3 layers of this stuff on the tires. I don't like to wax the wheels because it attracts dust. Zaino Z16 is also nice on tires.

DDOC: ? on Sealing

Do you ever WAX without using PG + first? I am washing weekly (plus more due to pollen dust-hosing off only seems to move the pollen dust around not off!)), and planned to do another waxing (wax plan 2x or so per mo.)

Rereading these posts I saw u stated that u always seal (Ultima PG+) first, but PG+ seems to say to use 3-4x per year.

So what is the benefit to seal every mo versus 4 x per year ? Meaning if the paint is sealed and will be sealed for few months why seal 1-2x per mo versus 3-4 per year? Is that just wasting sealant or have you fund the sealent wears down with multiple waxing etc..

Wondering if i need to adjust my planned sealing ..as always thnakee sai for the advice

Yes, I do wax sometimes without the sealant underneath as it is a different look. Depending on the wax though, if you do wax only, you might have to do it more often as durability is less (except for waxes like Collinite #845, Clearcoat Carnauba Moose Wax, and others that last 2 -3 months). You don't have to seal every month, I just like to do it just to make the car more reflective and since UPGP is so easy to apply, it is no big deal, but 3-4 times/year is fine. You can also add a fresh coat of wax every month without adding a sealant. If you want to do wax only, you would have to strip off the UPGP by cleaning with with the Sonus Paintwork Cleanser, although I am not so confident that doing it by hand would strip off the UPGP. A great wax for black car is Pinnacle Souveran Paste.

Do you ever WAX without using PG + first? I am washing weekly (plus more due to pollen dust-hosing off only seems to move the pollen dust around not off!)), and planned to do another waxing (wax plan 2x or so per mo.)

Rereading these posts I saw u stated that u always seal (Ultima PG+) first, but PG+ seems to say to use 3-4x per year.

So what is the benefit to seal every mo versus 4 x per year ? Meaning if the paint is sealed and will be sealed for few months why seal 1-2x per mo versus 3-4 per year? Is that just wasting sealant or have you fund the sealent wears down with multiple waxing etc..

Wondering if i need to adjust my planned sealing ..as always thnakee sai for the advice

Yes, I do wax sometimes without the sealant underneath as it is a different look. Depending on the wax though, if you do wax only, you might have to do it more often as durability is less (except for waxes like Collinite #845, Clearcoat Carnauba Moose Wax, and others that last 2 -3 months). You don't have to seal every month, I just like to do it just to make the car more reflective and since UPGP is so easy to apply, it is no big deal, but 3-4 times/year is fine. You can also add a fresh coat of wax every month without adding a sealant. If you want to do wax only, you would have to strip off the UPGP by cleaning with with the Sonus Paintwork Cleanser, although I am not so confident that doing it by hand would strip off the UPGP. A great wax for black car is Pinnacle Souveran Paste.

Hey ddoc, a couple of things. I think I am going to try the Ultima wheel & tire products next time even though the Pinnacle works good (it is alot of money though). UPGP is really easy to apply....however, I waited 12 hrs for the cure and then started to lightly buff out with a MF but their must have been some dirt on it and I made a small scratch in it (hardly noticeable but I saw it close up). How do you buff after 12 hrs when there might be dirt on it? Do you go over it with quick detailing spray first? Still a little nervous about all this of course...but it looks good!

Also, on my next detail, I am going to try the P21s-100% that I bought to see how it looks. ddoc, is there something special I should know about this wax that you can provide advice on? I believe that I should still use a light coat but I have to wipe it off with a MF towel when it just begins to haze...right?

EZ brush looks excellent and I intend to get that, some ONR for Winter and the Zaino Z16 Perfect tire Gloss- ..I hate Brakedust!!!! it is evil!!

? are the Graphite-polished alloy wheels on the es 350 = to either Anodized, magnesium , uncoated or powder coated rims? As they are alloy I think not

need to see if i can use my Meguirs Hot rim All wheel cleaner *yah read fine print--cant do Anodized, magnesium , uncoated or powder coated )

anyone know?

Hey ddoc, a couple of things. I think I am going to try the Ultima wheel & tire products next time even though the Pinnacle works good (it is alot of money though). UPGP is really easy to apply....however, I waited 12 hrs for the cure and then started to lightly buff out with a MF but their must have been some dirt on it and I made a small scratch in it (hardly noticeable but I saw it close up). How do you buff after 12 hrs when there might be dirt on it? Do you go over it with quick detailing spray first? Still a little nervous about all this of course...but it looks good!

Also, on my next detail, I am going to try the P21s-100% that I bought to see how it looks. ddoc, is there something special I should know about this wax that you can provide advice on? I believe that I should still use a light coat but I have to wipe it off with a MF towel when it just begins to haze...right?

If your car is kept in a garage, it should be ok, unless your garage collects a lot of dust, in which case, the safest thing to do is to hose down the car (should not take long, no soap needed). You don't have to get the Ultima Tire products, if what you have right now works for you, stay with that. P21s100% is applied very thin. To save time, just do the entire car, then buff off with an MF.

EZ brush looks excellent and I intend to get that, some ONR for Winter and the Zaino Z16 Perfect tire Gloss- ..I hate Brakedust!!!! it is evil!!

? are the Graphite-polished alloy wheels on the es 350 = to either Anodized, magnesium , uncoated or powder coated rims? As they are alloy I think not

need to see if i can use my Meguirs Hot rim All wheel cleaner *yah read fine print--cant do Anodized, magnesium , uncoated or powder coated )

anyone know?

No clue about those wheels.

Hey AZ08: Did u detail yet the exterior? any Pix? would Like to see the smokey Granite

cheers

How about the dash on the passenger side? It is made of this rubberized finish that seems to scuff awfully easily. Any advice on how to clean/repair this?

I have not detailed yet, I have the Carnuba but not the PG+. I don't know if I want to use the combination of both or just try with the wax first. I washed it on Sunday and the paint still looks great, but the AZ sun soon will start scorching it, so I better find time to protect it!

Ok DDOC, We soon will have to chip in to pay you for answering endless lists of ?'s from us newbies. But I plan to get over 100 posts all on this thread ! :lol:

1- do u do 3 coats of PG+ every month?

2 - Ever just wax? or do the PG+ and no wax?

3 - Would One coat PG+ and MF buff work, and protect and bead up rain and such just as good as a wax in your opinion?

I might try this time and see for myself.

4- as JGTNewLEx asked if the car is outside between 12 hour multi-coats of PG+ and gets dusty or dirty from driving or sitting, should you wash between coats of PG+ and if so should you buff with MF after each PG+ coat than?

As always thankee SAI!

OK, We will give you 1 more week to ge the PG+! than u must post!

I did the 3 coats PG+ buffing with MF towel after the last coat, than added on my Ps21 carnuba (I didn't pick up on the 100% piece, but this wax is gr8 and cheaper)

Just washing 2 x week since (3-4 weeks ago) with one Quick detail (Ultima Detail Spray +) and the constant Rain (we are like Noah up in NY) Raining every day this month, and still beading like a champ!!

I plan to wash later this week, and do just PG+ to see how that works. PG+ is so easy.. take u like 5-10 minutes to do the whole car. Make sure u have the correct applicators too put on.

good luck!

cheers

I have not detailed yet, I have the Carnuba but not the PG+. I don't know if I want to use the combination of both or just try with the wax first. I washed it on Sunday and the paint still looks great, but the AZ sun soon will start scorching it, so I better find time to protect it!

I did the 3 coats PG+ buffing with MF towel after the last coat, than added on my Ps21 carnuba (I didn't pick up on the 100% piece, but this wax is gr8 and cheaper)

Just washing 2 x week since (3-4 weeks ago) with one Quick detail (Ultima Detail Spray +) and the constant Rain (we are like Noah up in NY) Raining every day this month, and still beading like a champ!!

I plan to wash later this week, and do just PG+ to see how that works. PG+ is so easy.. take u like 5-10 minutes to do the whole car. Make sure u have the correct applicators too put on.

good luck!

cheers

Will do, soon!!!

cheers

You should be fine with just the wax, but you will have to put a fresh coat each month.

Ok DDOC, We soon will have to chip in to pay you for answering endless lists of ?'s from us newbies. But I plan to get over 100 posts all on this thread ! :lol:

1- do u do 3 coats of PG+ every month?

2 - Ever just wax? or do the PG+ and no wax?

3 - Would One coat PG+ and MF buff work, and protect and bead up rain and such just as good as a wax in your opinion?

I might try this time and see for myself.

4- as JGTNewLEx asked if the car is outside between 12 hour multi-coats of PG+ and gets dusty or dirty from driving or sitting, should you wash between coats of PG+ and if so should you buff with MF after each PG+ coat than?

As always thankee SAI!

Lol! No problem.

1) No, I only add one fresh coat each month, but again, just for the fun of it, not because it needs it.

2)Yes, I have done just wax, but if I have the UPGP under it and I want to do just wax, I have to strip off the Ultima with the Sonus Paintwork Cleanser first. There are also times when I don't add a fresh coat of UPGP monthly, instead, I'll add a fresh coat of wax.

3)Definitely, it will protect, bead, and last longer than probably any wax. There are some waxes that will bead more, but this is also due to the oils in the wax. Beading is a sign of protection, but not exclusively.

4) You can probably get away with simply hosing it down with full pressure without having to do a full wash then drying it, unless of course you get a bird bomb, then after hosing it down you can hit it with the QD. I just would not do the QD if it has collected dust without hosing it down first.

good luck!

cheers

Rain hah. No excuse man, time to get yourself some sweet ONR, so you can ONR in your garage (if available). Before ONR though, I like to hose down the car at full pressure to get rid of all the dirt.

DDOC: Be careful posting as I always will come back with 4 ?'s to one statement.

SO dirty I have ONR in my cart right now still finagling my orders over 3 sites. Your statement on hosing it down first when dirty, I planned to use ONR in the Winter. So if the car is (I Live in NY) is dirty from snow, salt et al, and I cannot hose down (Freezing pipes and all ) than use ONR, what to do?

I am panicking now on this one there must be a solution!!! :o

Rain hah. No excuse man, time to get yourself some sweet ONR, so you can ONR in your garage (if available). Before ONR though, I like to hose down the car at full pressure to get rid of all the dirt.

ONR can handle a car being really dirty actually...but I'm always afraid of doing it without hosing down.

What I do when I can't use the hose:

1. Take it to a coin-op spray wash first then go home and use ONR.

2. Spray it down well with ONR in a spray bottle first.

OK just sent another order :censored: Detail Doc will you please send me a money order to help put my kids in college (few years away so I have to buy this stuff now)

My first order with autogeek (grit bucket, p21s wheel cleaner, ez detail brush, ONR) , used the coupon code ' ago ' saved me the 15$ shipping ('Clubmember' saves 10% but u cannot combine with ago so use whatever makes more savings to u)

Also orded 2 bottles Zaino Wheel Gloss - z16. from zaino so another 100$(75$ autogeek-$5 zaino) to the Detailing kitty!

:cries:

But I will not lose sleep not knowing if my meguirs or eagle wheel cleaners (store bought) ruins my alloy wheels (I will use them on my wifes truck hahahah) the p21s is water based :cheers:

I think I have all now except my future orbit polisher, polish and accessories for orbiter, clay lube...I will try to wait till next year...but if those scratches annoy me enuf I might invest in a few months!

Viva Detailing Kings!

Cali 'duster redux

After more severe rain we have continued major dusting from Pollen. A lot of green maples so green pollen on black gives it a nice fluorescent glow. :angry:

I broke and tried my Cali duster and it worked gr8 no scratches and just lightly dragged versus pressing hard. Figured, heck i got mucho swirl scratches (not easy to see, but owner eyes lock in) so y not try.

Looking on Vette forum found this http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1998085

Lot black vette owners feel it is safe too, obvious washing is best but in NY with Pollen and black that would mean 5 washings a day.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1998085

OK just sent another order :censored: Detail Doc will you please send me a money order to help put my kids in college (few years away so I have to buy this stuff now)

My first order with autogeek (grit bucket, p21s wheel cleaner, ez detail brush, ONR) , used the coupon code ' ago ' saved me the 15$ shipping ('Clubmember' saves 10% but u cannot combine with ago so use whatever makes more savings to u)

Also orded 2 bottles Zaino Wheel Gloss - z16. from zaino so another 100$(75$ autogeek-$5 zaino) to the Detailing kitty!

:cries:

But I will not lose sleep not knowing if my meguirs or eagle wheel cleaners (store bought) ruins my alloy wheels (I will use them on my wifes truck hahahah) the p21s is water based :cheers:

I think I have all now except my future orbit polisher, polish and accessories for orbiter, clay lube...I will try to wait till next year...but if those scratches annoy me enuf I might invest in a few months!

Viva Detailing Kings!

Lol laughing-smiley-002.gif! It will only get worst, trust me.

ONR can handle a car being really dirty actually...but I'm always afraid of doing it without hosing down.

What I do when I can't use the hose:

1. Take it to a coin-op spray wash first then go home and use ONR.

2. Spray it down well with ONR in a spray bottle first.

There you go.

DDOC and others: Thoughts on polishing?

Saw a lot of good press for porter Cable orbiter, but further investigating revealed it is not that strong at removing scratches and swirls.

Rotaries are stronger but in the hands of an amateur (Like me! :wacko: ) could be dangerous as we could screw up our paint. Found a compromise I think in this:

FLEX XC3401 VRG Dual Action Polisher - $279 autogeek versus the Porter Cable With minimal/no accessories $129

3600 more RPM's, more power. Is it worth it? For me I have hundreds of hidden scratches from that shatty car wash (boars hair brushes my ___)

1) I am leaning towards the flex to ensure I get full scratch removal, thoughts?

2) for polishing what acc. do u recommend- 1st what pads see a lot of choices in pads

3) What polish(s) - what brands or what grades -obvious some are rougher or lighter- for lots of car wash scratches what is best?

4) Anything else for polishing?

Lot of excellent videos out there for how to polish,god bless the internet

Alos saw a review that liked the Meguirs g110 more power same pricing as porter cable also complained about flex rotating opposite direction from most rotaries, and the numb vibration in hands after us, but recognized the improvement of flex over porter.

G110 ($149.99)

As a conventional DA polisher in the family of the venerable Porter Cable 7424 this baby shines - literally and figuratively. It is smoother in operation than the conventional PC and has a bit more power. There is noticeably less shake and vibration and it does the same great job of defect removal that a machine at this power level is capable of. For $150 with a backing plate and hard case I think it's a must have for any weekend warrior who cares about their vehicles. Definitely an improvement over the PC 7424.

cheers

Hey AZ, I did what ddoc did and that was 3 coats of Ultima Paint Guard Plus first. I considered this a "sealant" so I did it this way and wow what a glass like shine (I posted pics in my gallery). The next detail I am going to use the Carnouba wax over the UPGP and see what it looks like and I will let you know when I post the pics. I think though, ddoc correct me if I am wrong, but the Carnouba wax is good stuff too, it just doesn't last as long as UPGP! Don't forget to post your pics!

Saw a lot of good press for porter Cable orbiter, but further investigating revealed it is not that strong at removing scratches and swirls.

Rotaries are stronger but in the hands of an amateur (Like me! :wacko: ) could be dangerous as we could screw up our paint. Found a compromise I think in this:

FLEX XC3401 VRG Dual Action Polisher - $279 autogeek versus the Porter Cable With minimal/no accessories $129

3600 more RPM's, more power. Is it worth it? For me I have hundreds of hidden scratches from that shatty car wash (boars hair brushes my ___)

1) I am leaning towards the flex to ensure I get full scratch removal, thoughts?

2) for polishing what acc. do u recommend- 1st what pads see a lot of choices in pads

3) What polish(s) - what brands or what grades -obvious some are rougher or lighter- for lots of car wash scratches what is best?

Alos saw a review that liked the Meguirs g110 more power same pricing as porter cable also complained about flex rotating opposite direction from most rotaries, and the numb vibration in hands after us, but recognized the improvement of flex over porter.

G110 ($149.99)

As a conventional DA polisher in the family of the venerable Porter Cable 7424 this baby shines - literally and figuratively. It is smoother in operation than the conventional PC and has a bit more power. There is noticeably less shake and vibration and it does the same great job of defect removal that a machine at this power level is capable of. For $150 with a backing plate and hard case I think it's a must have for any weekend warrior who cares about their vehicles. Definitely an improvement over the PC 7424.

1)Absoutely the Flex. It has better correction capabilities (which will come in handy at some point or another, trust me), it does not vibrate your hands to death as the Porter Cable and UDM do (huge factor here, after polishing a whole car with the PC or UDM, your hands will be numb and in pain for days), less annoying noise, and still fool proof.

2)acc? what do you mean? For pads I recommend the Lake Country CCS Pads or the DAS Pads.

3)For your Lexus, I recommend Sonus SFX 2 and 3. These are mild polishes that are pretty safe to use, but do the job on any Lexus because of their ultra soft paint. If you get the DAS Pads, I would start with the green pad with SFX2, if that does not work then move up to the Orange Pad, then finish off with SFX 3 and the blue pad (these two are more for increase gloss, they don't really polish) If you get the Lake Country Pad I would start with SFX 2 and the white pad, if that does not work then with the orange pad then finish with SFX 3 and the gray or blue pad.

4)For polishing that is all you will need for your Lexus

Forget the G110.

cheers

Hey AZ, I did what ddoc did and that was 3 coats of Ultima Paint Guard Plus first. I considered this a "sealant" so I did it this way and wow what a glass like shine (I posted pics in my gallery). The next detail I am going to use the Carnouba wax over the UPGP and see what it looks like and I will let you know when I post the pics. I think though, ddoc correct me if I am wrong, but the Carnouba wax is good stuff too, it just doesn't last as long as UPGP! Don't forget to post your pics!

Correct, the P21s is a really good wax, just does not last anywhere near as long as UPGP.

Thanks Again DDOC.

ACC meant to spell out Accessories. Pads and polish (u answered thanks!) and I saw someone recommend the flex attachment for flex. do you use or just stick with basic 6" pad loop and hold. You store in a regular tool bag or really need the flex bag to store it.

test the new Flex Adaptor specifically designed so you can use all sorts of

pads ! Pads will be perfectly centered (so no more off center pads which cause even more vibration )to the machine which in turn wear the bearings out very quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FykiFauXtB4

G110 ($149.99)

1)Absoutely the Flex. It has better correction capabilities (which will come in handy at some point or another, trust me), it does not vibrate your hands to death as the Porter Cable and UDM do (huge factor here, after polishing a whole car with the PC or UDM, your hands will be numb and in pain for days), less annoying noise, and still fool proof.

2)acc? what do you mean? For pads I recommend the Lake Country CCS Pads or the DAS Pads.

3)For your Lexus, I recommend Sonus SFX 2 and 3. These are mild polishes that are pretty safe to use, but do the job on any Lexus because of their ultra soft paint. If you get the DAS Pads, I would start with the green pad with SFX2, if that does not work then move up to the Orange Pad, then finish off with SFX 3 and the blue pad (these two are more for increase gloss, they don't really polish) If you get the Lake Country Pad I would start with SFX 2 and the white pad, if that does not work then with the orange pad then finish with SFX 3 and the gray or blue pad.

4)For polishing that is all you will need for your Lexus

Forget the G110.