Just Bought My Almost Perfect Car

Well my old 92' SC400 died after 280k miles. Instead of reviving it with an engine swap, I ended up buying a newer 1997 SC400. I'm actually much happier with this one. Its my favorite color (red, as opposed to my old SC's ugly black-green) and its also much sportier looking with the 97' facelift on the taillights, skirts, and front grille. I bought it for almost a steal at just $6500 privately. It has 103700 miles and I performed the 105k servicing, which cost only $370. The car's running beautifully. Now there's just a few issues I need to address:

1) The power windows seem to be very slow going up and down, especially on the passenger side. Do the mechanisms need to be replaced? Are there more powerful window mechanisms out there in the aftermarket? Or could it just be water and junk inside clogging them up? If so, how do I clean them out?

2) My trunk release button under the driver's console isn't working; neither is the remote trunk release. I have to manually use the key to open the trunk. I'm assuming its electronically controlled, so could there be a burnt out fuse? If so, how much would it cost to replace, and how?

3) What are the best performance mods to start off without going into major modifications (forced induction, engine swapping, nitrous, etc). I've read a lot of good feedback about switching out the torque converter with a dragon TC from lextreme. How much improvement in low-end responsiveness does it provide? 0-60 times? I've read that it can sap high end power. Can this be restored by coupling it with high-flow mufflers? I've been looking at switching the mufflers anyways in order to get a nice muscle sound out of my engine.

4) Finally, I'm looking to upgrade my wheels to 17". I'm not trying to go too obnoxious in size, but something much sportier looking than my current, dull 16" ones. I'm particularly fond of the Lexus GS' 17x8" 5-spoke design; I'm looking to couple them with 245/40R17 tires on the front and 285/40R17 in the rear (giving it a slightly raised look in the back). Would my SC400 be able to support these tire-wheel sizes without issues of clearance? I saw a 95' SC400 listed on eBay several months ago which had 245s front and 285s rear mounted on 18" rims so I assume its possible, but I'm wondering if significant modification is required to prevent them from scrapping the wheel wells. I'm not so worried about the 245's in the front as much as the 285's in the rear which would be over 2" wider.

Brendon Bosy,

I got hung up when I read that your 105,000 mile (15,000 mile) service cost "only $370". I've performed that service numerous times on V8 Lexus cars over the past 18 years and can tell you that it is an easy 1 1/2 hour job for an amateur. I do it myself in my admittedly well equipped garage which has floor jacks and jack stands. Aren't the only supplies needed to do this service on your SC just five or six quarts of engine oil and an oil filter? Otherwise it is just checking a few fluid levels and torquing a small number of bolts.

Is this what dealers are charging these days? Yikes!