Nav Disc 7.1 Update

kerrville

I often use navigation in the San Antonio area, but my version 6.1 disc apparently doesn't realize there are elevated freeways there, so the system tells me to take turns that don't exist or just otherwise gets me lost. Does anyone know what areas are improved in the 7.1 disc?

You will never know until you check out this upgrade on a NAV system that has the 7.1 installed. Everything on the upgrade depends on when the company did the mapping. Example: Was the elevated freeway/streets there during the mapping?

I often use navigation in the San Antonio area, but my version 6.1 disc apparently doesn't realize there are elevated freeways there, so the system tells me to take turns that don't exist or just otherwise gets me lost. Does anyone know what areas are improved in the 7.1 disc?

PM me your Email address and I can send you a file that shows what is new to version 7.1

• 2 weeks later...
It's not a web site, it's a Word document. Send me your email address and I'll forward it to you.

You can add it to your post as an attachment.

And yes, the 08 will have the 7.1. I jus upgraded mine from 4.1 to 7.1 and saw a noticable improvement, although I wouldn't bother upgrading 6.1. Wait a few years.

It's not a web site, it's a Word document. Send me your email address and I'll forward it to you.

You can add it to your post as an attachment.

And yes, the 08 will have the 7.1. I jus upgraded mine from 4.1 to 7.1 and saw a noticable improvement, although I wouldn't bother upgrading 6.1. Wait a few years.

Thanks, but it's 16.6 MB and Max. upload size is 2 MB, which means I'll have to break it into 9 pieces and upload 9 times. I'd rather just email the document.

I saw on eBay a guy selling the upgrade DVD disc for the Gen 5 Nav systems.

Are they bogus or has anybody else tried them.........they cost about ¼ the price of the DVD's that are sold by Lexus parts?

Why does Lexus charge SO much for an upgrade????? My husband bought a Garmin for his company van, and all he has to do is go online and download the updates for free. It's insane that I had to buy a $4,000 package to get the navigation in my RX350, and now they want me to PAY for upgrades????????!!!!!!!!!! What's the deal here - other than customer gouging??????????

Why does Lexus charge SO much for an upgrade????? My husband bought a Garmin for his company van, and all he has to do is go online and download the updates for free. It's insane that I had to buy a $4,000 package to get the navigation in my RX350, and now they want me to PAY for upgrades????????!!!!!!!!!! What's the deal here - other than customer gouging??????????

Garmin has free downloads to upgrade the operation of their units.......but when it comes to upgrade the mapping software it'll cost you about $135.00!

Everyone charges for updates, Lexus is no different and the updates don't really cost any more than other OEM built in manufacturers.

You don't have to update the system every year. In my experience every 3-4 years is enough. $270 every 3-4 years for a fresh set of maps isn't bad.

Think about it. Maps aren't free to produce, compiling POI lists isn't free. Why should they update your maps for nothing forever?

• 2 weeks later...
Ok then :-) I guess I see the light now. I did do some research after I made that post and found out that the Garmin map updates weren't free (I had to break that news to my husband!). Thanks :-)

unless his garmin is hooked to speed sensor like the lexus he will lose where he is at everytime he loses satelite connectiion due to tunnels, tall buildings mountains etc. when lexus loses touch with satelite the gps knows cars speed so can stay on course. after a tunnel it takes garmin several minutes to reconnect which wouldnt be good in a big city. so you get what you pay for. also the lexus nav will be working well into the future . most 1998 lexus navs still woking well after 10 years. garmins have trouble making to the warranty. google" trouble with garmin" and see the litany of compalints. you get what you pay for also applies to navigation systems. an analogy is mark levinson 7.1 surround sound versus a hand held transister radio glued to the lexus dash.