My Car Swerves Left And Right?...

2tonesilverls400

Well I bought a 93 LS 400 with all the options including sound and even the cell phone! Its very nice except it has been wrecked.. I took a chance and bought it off the internet w/o driving it.. My mistake I know.. But the car was a lot nicer in person than in the pics! Super CLEAN!!! the inside leather looks new! not even any cracks in the driver seat!!!!

Well the car seems to drift left and right on the highway. I have to constantly correct the position of the wheel to make sure the car is going straight. Its been wrecked in the front. The indicator is new'er headlight and different bolts holding the fenders. and No hood struts!! plus i can tell its been painted.

There is also a lot of freeplay in the wheel..

What do you guys think?.. Is it the tie rods?.. My Mr2 did the same thing and the new tie rods fixed this problem..

Well I bought a 93 LS 400 with all the options including sound and even the cell phone! Its very nice except it has been wrecked.. I took a chance and bought it off the internet w/o driving it.. My mistake I know.. But the car was a lot nicer in person than in the pics! Super CLEAN!!! the inside leather looks new! not even any cracks in the driver seat!!!!

Well the car seems to drift left and right on the highway. I have to constantly correct the position of the wheel to make sure the car is going straight. Its been wrecked in the front. The indicator is new'er headlight and different bolts holding the fenders. and No hood struts!! plus i can tell its been painted.

There is also a lot of freeplay in the wheel..

What do you guys think?.. Is it the tie rods?.. My Mr2 did the same thing and the new tie rods fixed this problem..

Mine did that until I replaced the outer tie rod ends and got it aligned. Only one of them really needed replaced actually, made a big difference. Mine has front end damage too, but now it tracks nice and straight.

• 2 weeks later...

Alignment is only in order after making sure all components are good otherwise an alignment is a waste of money since the second it rolls out the door the settings are gone.

Ball joints ,control arms and tire rods are all in order for inspection.

• 1 year later...

I got my car back from the shop (they just replaced all the seals and powder coated my grill) and now it has much less freeplay in the steering wheel. I was wondering is there a simple way to make the steering wheel less sensitive?? It's almost like oversteer, but the car is just too sensitive, esp at higher speeds........I used to be able to handle it perfectly.

Any info appreciated!!! :D

peace

It could be any number of things. I would suspect the torsion struts (torsion bars). Mine kind of did the same thing and when I replaced them it tracks like a NASCAR car now, maybe better. Determining what is causing it is beyond my capability so I would take it for an alignment and they will tell you what needs to be replace. Ignore the upper control arms (magnesium wishbones) as they always say they are bad.

Alignment is only in order after making sure all components are good otherwise an alignment is a waste of money since the second it rolls out the door the settings are gone.

Ball joints ,control arms and tire rods are all in order for inspection.

Yes!

Inspect + repair first, then align. This excellent post has info on inspecting suspension:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...p;p=342677&