Damn Rock!

acf

Got a nasty 8 in. crack in my windshield on my drive to MD yesterday. Good thing is that the glass was very pitted so I suppose getting a new one for a modest insurance deductible isn't all bad. :whistles:

Any suggestions on how to go about making sure the glass is top notch? Should I demand OEM? Is it possible to do so? Please advise, thanks.

The glass itself from Lexus is about $1000. Your insurance would cover it though. Out the door glass repair with Lexus glass will run you $1150 or so. They can do it with an aftermarket peice of glass for $300-$400 or so, but thats not genuine Lexus glass. I always specify OEM glass so the thickness and the tint match up perfectly. If you want to turn it into insurance they'll pay for it, even the Lexus glass. By law they can't refuse you OEM parts.

Guess I should read my old own threads, huh? :blushing:

Steve, do I have to get my own OEM glass and get reimbursed or can whoever does the work order it first? And you say its the law if I want OEM? Just want to be prepared when I go into battle! :chairshot:

suggest you confirm with ins. co. first on OEM glass--may want to write them a letter so you will get a letter back---don't mention the cost; mention OEM, tint, fit etc.

Ins. cos. use aftermarket fenders, etc and 'junque yard' items but you can request OEM if you pay the difference. So this may apply to glass--don't want you to be holding the bag.

You could take your car to aftermarket people and check tint match[if it came to that]. guess you would have to measure glass thickness at a junq yard unless someone here knows that .

I live in Florida where there is no deductible for windshield replacement. I got a crack in the windshield on my 93 LS and am insured with State Farm. My windshield has a bronze tint and none of the local windshield repair places had an identical tint windshield so State Farm paid for a windshield from Lexus without hesitation.

Curt

Actually the insurance company MUST pay for ALL OEM parts when repairing your car. It is a federal law. If you specify that you want OEM parts (including the windshield) then they must pay for it. You're not required to come out of pocket. This is relatively recent and comes from a lawsuit involving State Farm Insurance Co. Just tell them you want OEM glass, they wont say I word I promise you.

Make sure you take it to a highly reccomended glass shop acf ;)

Strangly enough, as I was driving home yesterday iinto the bright afternoon sun, I noticed how pitted my windshield has gotten. My main concern would be that it wouldn't leak. I've had several windshields broken over the years and have had more than one leak. It is amazing how clear new glass can be.

Actually the insurance company MUST pay for ALL OEM parts when repairing your car. It is a federal law. If you specify that you want OEM parts (including the windshield) then they must pay for it. You're not required to come out of pocket. This is relatively recent and comes from a lawsuit involving State Farm Insurance Co. Just tell them you want OEM glass, they wont say I word I promise you.

Make sure you take it to a highly reccomended glass shop acf ;)

Insurance company actually recommended a place.:huh: They should be installing it at my house later this week.

I'd say be leery of anywhere the insurance company reccomends, but I use a glass shop my insurance reccomends and they do great work...

Be prepared for the car to smell like hell because of the glue they use. It actually makes me light headed. Pick up a box of baking soda and leave it in the car for the first few days to make the smell go away quicker. It'll be gone in about a week on its own.