Gonna Try Some Collinite...

Well in part because of VBDenny's glowing reviews and what I've read over at Autopia I'm going to be trying some Collinite 476s Detergent Proof wax sometime after Thanksgiving in preperation for the winter. What VB uses is the Insulator Wax, the 476s is a paste wax that is about twice as durable and is specifically designed to withstand detergents used in automatic carwashes, which I use touchfree highpressure washes in the winter. It should last me 3 good months. I'm going to add another coat or two of the Poorboys EX, then apply a coat or two of the Collinite. Depending on the final look of the Collinite I may or may not top it with P21S wax, we'll have to see.

Hey y'all I'm not BSing you. The Collinite is most excellent. I gave all my other waxes away. Check their website http://www.collinite.com/ I use the #845 Insulator Wax. You have to buy it by the case which is about $100US + 20 s/h for 12 bottles. It makes an excellent gift by the way. My brother drove he Chevy pickup through a Syracuse winter and it still looks like he just waxed it. I can believe they make stuff that good.

VB- The place I bought my 476 from sells IW by the bottle so you dont have to buy it by the case. Check them out, www.autofanatics.com. Did the Collinite detail, went very well, extremely pleased with the results we'll see how it holds up to abuse. I'm going to do one more coat tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Having used the Collinite for about a year, I'd have to say it gives about the best shine of anything I've ever used. I have used a couple of products that might give a little better shine, but then the shine only lasts until you wash it. I found with the Collinite, the shine looks better each time you wash it. One suggestion, prior to applying the Collinite, spend the time to make sure your paint is as perfect as you can get it. I recommend using the clay on the car first. Once you seal in anything with Collinite, it is sealed in. I have also used the stuff on ceramic tile, bathroom countertops, and even my new lawnmower.

I would love to hear what people say about the 476. I have only used the #845, but have no plans to change as I am so happy with it.

Got my Collinite 476 from FedEx today!!!

Kinda like an early Christmas bonus.....

Will Try to wash, then clay my LS Christmas afternoon; by then I'll probably pull it in the garage to give the Collinite a try.

Steve, I'll remember to polish it up BEFORE it dries.......

Maybe put a second coat on the next morning ;)

W got back from syracuse and NJ last night. This morning I got up and washed both cars. Amazingly, the Lexus stayed almost perfectly clean despite 1500 miles of driving in NY and NJ during the winter. My Caprice was another matter. Filty from sitting many days at the Newark Airport and being driven around in nasty weather. Luckily, just before I took it up 3 months ago, I did a full treatment Collinite on the car. Considering all the soot and what looked like jet fuel on the car, it cleaned up rather nicely. I applyed another coat of #845 Insulator wax. It went on and off so easily, that I got inspired and did the Lexus.

I gotta agree with SWO (Steve) Although right on the bottle it says to let dry to a haze, I found that wiping it off as soon as you apply it works much better.

The first time you apply it, do rather small areas (like 1/4 hood) and wipe off right away. You will need a couple of clean rags. I know many people use some special filament towels but I use old teeshirts, nightgowns, and such. Work the stuff in then wipe off with opposing back and forth motions. Once you have the car sealed, the second and sunsequent applications are a breeze. I also do all my windows (except windshield) and all lenses, headlights, tailights etc. The stuff "feels" good on your car. Then when sitting at a stoplight with the window down, I can hang my hand out the window and rub the paint and feel it's smoothness. My wife says I am way overboard with cars anyway.