1997 Ls400 Coach Sedan

gcal

I need a sanity check. My wife drives a 1997 LS400 Coach sedan with 147K miles and I drive a 1997 SC400 with 105K miles. Both cars are in excellent condition. I have done enough research to believe that I will need to put $4000-$6000 in each car in the next year. That should take care of all the engine tuneup and suspension renovation that I believe is required to enable another 150K maintence free miles.

The reason for the $4000-$6000 per car is that I am not skilled to do the work but am lucky to have an excellent independent shop here in Birmingham that is authorized for Lexus, Volvo, Toyota, and Infinity service and has techs that I trust completely.

We believe that we want to keep the cars for another 10+ years. We are in our mid to late 50's and actually think that we might drive the cars forever. I recently took a look at a 2005 LS430 and was almost shocked at how much better I liked our LS400. I also love my SC400 and really can't see another car that I would rather drive.

How much chance do you think we are taking putting the money into the cars? We are looking at retirement in a few years and really don't want to have to put another $5000-$10000 in the cars, 5 years from now, just to keep them running. Any comments will certainly be appreciated.

i really think that your estimate is way too high.

engine tune up parts would cost you around 500-600$ while suspension and brakes, including new shock absorbers, new brake rotors, new pads and new shims would cost you around 1k.

since both engines are the same it should cost you the same amount for the sc as for the ls. not sure about the brakes and suspension but should be around the same price.

labor charge to change the timing belt is around 400-500$. rotor and suspension change should not cost you more then 300$ per car. so total should not be more then 4k for both cars.

if mechanics are estimating more then this, then they are trying to rip you off.

get the parts yourself from an online store, then bring them to mechanic and only negotiate labor charge.

this will def allow you yo save a lot on the maintanence:)

gcal, it sounds like our ages and goals are similar.

For reference purposes, during the last two years of ownership of a 1990 LS400 (owned from new until 2003), I spent about $4,500 at an independent repair shop to get the car to 183,000 miles. The work would have cost perhaps 15% more at the Lexus dealer. $4,500 also happens to be what I sold the car for in 2003 -- it looked and drove like new and all maintenance was current.

I suspect that my current 2000 LS400 (now at 94,000 miles) will require similar repairs at similar costs as it ages. $1,000 average per year in repairs is pretty inexpensive to keep a car like an SC or LS running well and certainly far, far less than it costs to buy a comparable new car.

We aim to keep cars until they are about 13 - 15 years old. By buying well optioned cars with the latest technology, and particularly the latest safety features, we keep from feeling too deprived as the cars age. For example, our 98 Camry is one of a tiny number that was sold with optional side air bags, ABS and traction control. The Toyota dealer here had it trucked in from a dealer 600 miles away. Sure, we now wish it had VSC, more air bags, and a few more comfort options, but we can easily get by another six years until its planned retirement date.

Personally I would not dream of asking the indie repair shop owner to use parts that I had purchased elsewhere. He is also my friend and I know that the mark-up on parts is an important part of his revenue -- and my helping him put his kids through college!

It might help address VMF's questions if you listed the specific repairs that you expect to be required on your cars.

Although I did most of my own car repairs when I was younger, these days I would rather take our cars to professionals for most everything. The only tasks I do now are oil changes, wiper blade refills and tire rotations and weekly checking/top-up of all fluids except the rear differential. Well, that is not exactly correct -- I sometimes, for fun, rip the interior of the car apart while installing gadgets like phones and navs.

What were the nature of your repairs over that two year period?

For reference purposes, during the last two years of ownership of a 1990 LS400 (owned from new until 2003), I spent about $4,500 at an independent repair shop to get the car to 183,000 miles. The work would have cost perhaps 15% more at the Lexus dealer. $4,500 also happens to be what I sold the car for in 2003 -- it looked and drove like new and all maintenance was current.

I suspect that my current 2000 LS400 (now at 94,000 miles) will require similar repairs at similar costs as it ages. $1,000 average per year in repairs is pretty inexpensive to keep a car like an SC or LS running well and certainly far, far less than it costs to buy a comparable new car.

We aim to keep cars until they are about 13 - 15 years old. By buying well optioned cars with the latest technology, and particularly the latest safety features, we keep from feeling too deprived as the cars age. For example, our 98 Camry is one of a tiny number that was sold with optional side air bags, ABS and traction control. The Toyota dealer here had it trucked in from a dealer 600 miles away. Sure, we now wish it had VSC, more air bags, and a few more comfort options, but we can easily get by another six years until its planned retirement date.

Personally I would not dream of asking the indie repair shop owner to use parts that I had purchased elsewhere. He is also my friend and I know that the mark-up on parts is an important part of his revenue -- and my helping him put his kids through college!

It might help address VMF's questions if you listed the specific repairs that you expect to be required on your cars.

Although I did most of my own car repairs when I was younger, these days I would rather take our cars to professionals for most everything. The only tasks I do now are oil changes, wiper blade refills and tire rotations and weekly checking/top-up of all fluids except the rear differential. Well, that is not exactly correct -- I sometimes, for fun, rip the interior of the car apart while installing gadgets like phones and navs.

I have a 96 LS and I too am looking to keep it another 8 to 10 years or so. I figure I'll have about 300K miles or so at the end of that time and I'll get another one at that point. I have 80k on mine right now and am coming up on the first major service with the timing belt. I need to do a bit of suspension work as well. I've owned the car for a little over a year and have not had to do a thing except for normal maintenance (oil, fluids, tires and etc). I'm thinking about getting the timing belt done in the next couple of weeks. I got a quote from Toyota of about $ 700 versus 1600 from Lexus.

I really wish I had gotten one of these cars earlier. I just never knew prior to owning one that these cars are as good as they are.

I need a sanity check. My wife drives a 1997 LS400 Coach sedan with 147K miles and I drive a 1997 SC400 with 105K miles. Both cars are in excellent condition. I have done enough research to believe that I will need to put $4000-$6000 in each car in the next year. That should take care of all the engine tuneup and suspension renovation that I believe is required to enable another 150K maintence free miles.

The reason for the $4000-$6000 per car is that I am not skilled to do the work but am lucky to have an excellent independent shop here in Birmingham that is authorized for Lexus, Volvo, Toyota, and Infinity service and has techs that I trust completely.

We believe that we want to keep the cars for another 10+ years. We are in our mid to late 50's and actually think that we might drive the cars forever. I recently took a look at a 2005 LS430 and was almost shocked at how much better I liked our LS400. I also love my SC400 and really can't see another car that I would rather drive.

How much chance do you think we are taking putting the money into the cars? We are looking at retirement in a few years and really don't want to have to put another $5000-$10000 in the cars, 5 years from now, just to keep them running. Any comments will certainly be appreciated.

I passed all the records for my 1990 LS400 to its new owner - he is still driving it and I see him most days at work.

From what I remember, the approximately $4,500 I spend over the last two years of ownership included the 180,000 maintenance (timing belt, water pump, all fluid changes, etc.), still another power steering pump rebuild, another battery (probably its 5th since new), a new windshield (about $200), another set of four snow tires, another set of four summer tires, a suspension part or three, driver seat back repair, an A/C compressor and related parts, conversion to R-134a, various miscellaneous repairs, etc., etc.

I loved my old 90 LS400 and might be driving it today if it had better headlights.

As I read your post, I'm thinking how much of a waste it can be to buy one of these new nowadays. Granted, you didn't have this choice when you brought your 90 LS, but a properly maintained LS will last a long time. It really doesn't make sense to pay 70k+ for a new one when you can get a used one for as much as 90% less than that and still have a vehicle that will last you a long time. A case in point is your 90 LS

I just think the quality of these cars is a well kept secret. The statement that I hear again and again is about 10 year + old LS's is "it looks and drives like new." It's almost as if the car gets better with age.

I'm glad to be a LS owner.

I passed all the records for my 1990 LS400 to its new owner - he is still driving it and I see him most days at work.

From what I remember, the approximately $4,500 I spend over the last two years of ownership included the 180,000 maintenance (timing belt, water pump, all fluid changes, etc.), still another power steering pump rebuild, another battery (probably its 5th since new), a new windshield (about $200), another set of four snow tires, another set of four summer tires, a suspension part or three, driver seat back repair, an A/C compressor and related parts, conversion to R-134a, various miscellaneous repairs, etc., etc.

I loved my old 90 LS400 and might be driving it today if it had better headlights.

The couch edition 1997 LS400 is a pretty rare car. That was an option that was done by the same people that make those expensive purses women love. Had to laugh when I read your post though. I bought my wife a 04 ES330 and sure enough, she said she still like the 90 LS400 better. She isn't getting the 90 of course, it is mine!

• 1 year later...
The couch edition 1997 LS400 is a pretty rare car. That was an option that was done by the same people that make those expensive purses women love. Had to laugh when I read your post though. I bought my wife a 04 ES330 and sure enough, she said she still like the 90 LS400 better. She isn't getting the 90 of course, it is mine!

Does anyone have any production numbers on 1997 Coach Edition LS400s? It seems like half of the '97 ls400s i find on the internet are Coach Editions!