Sirius Poor Reception

AZBIMMER

I just had Sirius installed in my 08 ES 350. I am disappointed by the reception. It cuts off every so often, and the sound quality is very poor. I have Sirius in my BMW 330, and the reception is great.

The antenna in the ES 350 is installed on the rear shelf next to the third brake light.

Any suggestions on how to improve this?

BTW, love the ride of this car.

Azbimmer

Is it the Lexus system?

Doubt that it is the Lexus system. If that were the case, other audio functions (FM, AM, etc.) would be cutting out also.

Must be the antenna, and/or its placement. If your car is black, the antenna mounted outside should look OK. A trend nowadays is that people are spray painting (or touch-up painting) their antenna to match their car (white, etc.). I suppose you experimented with moving it around a bit?

The factory Sirius install has the antenna mounted to the front windshield, so this is probably not the factory system.

Yes it is the original Lexus antenna, which is way larger than the one on my BMW. I paid $ 699 for the install.

I really do not want it on the trunk since that would be way ugly. The car is dark (smoke gray).

Many thanks for your responses.

Azbimmer

The Sirius antenna thats used on the ES is the Sigma type which is supposed to be placed on the windshield for the best line of site. It may be an issue in the back glass area, and is not designed for outside use. My suggestion, if you want to keep it on the back shelf, would be to get a different antenna. I would recommend the Sirius Dot Micro, which can be purchased at BB or CC. Its a very nice high gain antenna with very good reception.

• 1 month later...

I finally had them put the antenna on the windshield. The reception is better, but not perfect. My BMW with trunk mounted antena has a much better reception.

Has anyone tried installing the IS roof mounted shark fin antenna on their ES?

Best,

Azbimmer

I finally had them put the antenna on the windshield. The reception is better, but not perfect. My BMW with trunk mounted antena has a much better reception.

Has anyone tried installing the IS roof mounted shark fin antenna on their ES?

Best,

Azbimmer

I have the Sirius with the windshield ant and i get loss of signal everytime i pass under a freeway

bridge and also no signal in my grarage at home. Also sometime I loss signal in certain areas

but if i turn southbound the signal will come back. IMO the Sirius setup leaves somthing to be

desired I think Lexus should have made a ext ant for the ES350. I guess the good thing about

the whole thing is I didnt pay anything extra for the Sirius set up.

If the trunk mount antenna is better...I'd install a trunk mount antenna.

Buy a Sirius exterior antenna, they all plug up the same.

I just had Xm installed with antenna inside and it works great. When i called activate my unit, she sent the signal to my unit twice. The second time she claimed would boost my signal (dont ask me how) but they did say it is posible to make reception more senitive to the signal (im sure there is some downside to doing this or why wouldnt they just do it to all?) My dealer is now, after installing my antenna inside, recommending it. The antenna is pretected from vandelism, snow and ice from sliding down and ripping off the antenna. Might not be an issue in Arizona, but up here it is.

Let us know how your system works when you are out in the country away from the repeaters in the city. You may find that it cuts out when travelling in certain directions. Mine does.